1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AC Freezer Pro Vs Xigmatek HDT - S1283

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kyle2020, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kyle2020 Guest

Right, i have a Xigmatek S1283 AND the crossbow bracket thing arriving this morning - i will be doing a review of the cooler (From unboxing to installation) and then a thermal comparision between it and the 'Ol faithful Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.

The reason im doing this is very simple - A. Like myself, i know alot of people that bought a Pro purely because of how cheap it was - when i used one with my 5000+ BE it idled at 30 degrees with close to 1.4V pumping through its veins. That outperformed a watercooling kit (however shoddy :laugh:), and it only cost £11. And B. I know that alot of people know the pedigree of the Freezer, and i just would like to prove that it is still a worthy match, maybe not so much for a quad with high clocks, but certainly a dual core.

Im using a Freezer Pro with my Q6600 at the minute, and hopefully, going on reviews i have personally read, i will be able to show why spending the extra money is such a benefit, but also (hopefully) how well the Pro can hold its own.

So, ill have this article done within the next few hours (At school currently, should be arriving before i get home at 12).

See you all soon! :toast:

2. kyle2020 Guest

Heres how both the items arrived - both wrapped tightly in bubble wrap and plastic wrapping, excellent delivery yet again from Scan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with everything out the boxes and ready for install (Sorry, dont have any during the install, got carried away then spent an hour on cable management, what can i say :laugh:)

[​IMG]

Alright, lets get down to the results.

Heres my Q6600 idling @ 3.6Ghz, 1.36V, Using the AC Freezer Pro:

[​IMG]

An heres the quad idling with the same core speed, higher voltage (1.4 rather than 1.36) but with the Xigmatek + Crossbow panel thing:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  3. kyle2020 Guest

So, in conclusion, this cooler is as quiet, if not quieter than my Pro, looks better, is sturdier on my motherboard thanks to the crossbow bracket, and shaves a massive 10 degrees C off my idle temperature.

Overall, i have come to this closing statement:

If you are looking for a cooler to do the job on a processor such as the new E7200, i really think that you would be 100% suited to saving the money and buying a freezer Pro. That said, if you want peace of mind and future proofing, or you have something along the lines of an E8400 or higher, then i would highly recommend the HDT-S1283.

out of 10? A 9 from me, purely because the rubber grommit things that hold the fan on where awkward to install.

4. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Throw Up Some Load Numbers:toast:

5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I think you may not have had that freezer down all the way... Or the fan wasn't spinning up right or something..

My x3210 @ 3.4 @ 1.4 idles just above room temp on my freezer..

Now I do believe that the new Xig is a better cooler, especially the 4 pipe one, but my AC performs MUCH better than that at idle. But could maybe have something to do with the 120mm fan behind it and the 120mm fan above it, but that at idle is questionable, on load its a sure aide, even more with the 4 pipe model Xig because it can get the heat off faster.

6. kyle2020 Guest

the Pro was securely fastened down, nothing wrong in that area. And ill get some load temps up soon! :toast:

7. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    one thing I notice (especially because I look for smaller stuff) is how much smaller the Freezer is, could you post a pict of them both side by side.
    That may help some decide if space is limited.

8. kyle2020 Guest

can do, ill get a couple of pictures took now.

9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't look right, I have seen almost the same temps on the stock cooler...

Ac Freezer- Thermal Resistance: 0.17°C/Watt
    Xig S1283- Thermal Resistance 0.16°C/Watt
    Xig S1284- Thermal Resistance 0.14°C/Watt

I seriously think it had a poor connection, even at 1.6 volts my x3210 barely idles that high...

10. kyle2020 Guest

Size wise the thing is a fair bit larger than the freezer - i dont have a picture of the freezer in my system at the minute (My external HDD with all my pictures is at a relatives house) but id dare say the HDT is a freezer pro + another half added on top.

11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ya, the freezer is small in comparison, and by a fairly good amount.

12. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    What thermal paste did you use?

13. kyle2020 Guest

I used the pre-packed paste just for consistency, if the temps start to creep up ill buy some MX-2.

14. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think those temps look fine in comparison. I went from a freezer 7 pro to a Xigmatek S1283, I knew the Xigma would have no trouble beating the freezer 7 pro. The freezer 7 pro on my dad's PC, just keeps an E6600 @ 3.2Ghz on 30*C idle, and 65*C on the cores at load. In comparison, my Xigma keeps my Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz on about 20-25*C idle, and 55*C on the cores at load.

nice comarison kyle2020, though IMO, the answer was clear before I looked at the thread :p . What with the Xigma only being about £25 delivered for the cooler and bolt on kit, its a steal IMO.

15. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    is this xig available in the uk to buy online ?

ive looked on ocuk & ebuyer and neither have it :(

16. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    And what makes you think he would rig it?

17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    xubidoo says thanks.
  18. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Cool insight Kyle. HURH HURH! See what I did there?! ;) ;)

Anyway, if you could be arsed, I'd be interested to see how they compare when a decent thermal grease is applied, such as the MX-2 you suggested (even though I'd argue Arctic Silver 5 is better).

19. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    looking good

20. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I compared AS5 vs MX2 on my freezer 7 pro. MX2 is way better.

21. kyle2020 Guest

I knew the answer was clear, my main aim was to prove the the freezer was still worth it :ohwell:

Those links from alex (scan) is where i got it from too, get the bracket aswell - damn that thing is heavy and tall haha.

Blasphemy! thanks for backing me up haha, what would be the point in fixing the results, or should i ask how? :wtf:

Ill get those results to you soon, if someone (UK) could drop me a link to some silver 5 or MX-2 that would be great :toast:

Thanks! :toast:

22. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Surely this proves the freezer isnt really worth it unless your tight for space? for £10 more I would take the Xigma anyday.

23. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... interesting.

Awesome sauce!

24. kyle2020 Guest

the main reason i purchased the pro was because of money. I was so tight for cash it was unreal, (i had wanted to get a 9700 LED, purely because i have always wanted one, but at £40 it was unreasonable).

25. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Exactly the same for me. Then I wanted something better than the freezer and found the Xigma! :D