• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accidental build on the AsRock Z68

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
@itgoesto11

First welcome to the forum, now i assume that the parts that have some form of warranty! if they do have warranty, have you considered returning the motherboard? i wold consider doing that especially coz of the Ivy Bridge Processor i5 3570K, reason for that is Boards equipped with Z77 Chipset work straight out of the box with the Ivy Bridge Processor, so i would advice take back the board and get an AsRock Z77 equivalent.

Another option would be return the i5 3570K and get a second gen i5 2500K or i5 2550K, or another option would be get a shop near you that can perform the BIOS update for you or where they were bought. Most motherboards need a compatible processor in the motherboard to be able to perform a BIOS update.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
if you are having a really tough time lifting the chip out of its socket, maybe the trip is a worthwhile trip. As far as I know, without that board being able to post, you wont be able to test the CPU. For testing the CPU you would need to put it on a board that works with that CPU to test functionality.

In essence you need to get the bios issue resolved to test the CPU at home. Although, if you do make the trip, you may get lucky and the test can test it there on a board he knows is already set to run it. Take the CPU with it and see if he can test boot it there;)

CaptainFailcon

sir ima need you to step away from the computer place the screw driver where I can see it and step back :banghead:
first of all if you have damaged the bios chip you're warranty is out the window you will need to obtain a replacement chip from asrock I think there less then 20 bucks
secondly a scratch on the motherboard normally doesn't kill anything (unless you where unlucky and damaged a trace in that case you are SOL)
lastly make sure you release the clips/screws holding the cpu cooler in place
if you think its the paste holding you up heat it with a hair dryer and don't force it(prays you didn't use the whole tube)
because if you damage the socket you're build is over until you replace the motherboard -/- you can NOT return something with socket damage they wont take it
and yes by every definition you are a n00b and that's ok first step is accepting it
and yes I don't mean to sound like a ass
but keep the 13 year old away from the ~600 dollar hardware please kids and computers never ends well
and the extreme 3 gen 3 is not Intel I5-3570K(ready) they JUST released the bios update for it rma it and replace it with a 2500K the 2500k runs cooler and overclocks better < owns a extreme 3 gen 3

Last edited:
sir ima need you to step away from the computer place the screw driver where I can see it and step back :banghead:
first of all if you have damaged the bios chip you're warranty is out the window you will need to obtain a replacement chip from asrock I think there less then 20 bucks
secondly a scratch on the motherboard normally doesn't kill anything (unless you where unlucky and damaged a trace in that case you are SOL)
if you think its the paste holding you up heat it with a hair dryer and don't force it(prays you didn't use the whole tube)
because if you damage the socket you're build is over until you replace the motherboard -/- you can NOT return something with socket damage they wont take it
and yes by every definition you are a n00b and that's ok first step is accepting it
but keep the 13 year old away from the ~600 dollar hardware please kids and computers never ends well
and the extreme 3 gen 3 is not Intel I5-3570K(ready) they JUST released the bios update for it rma it and replace it with a 2500K the 2500k runs cooler and overclocks better < owns a extreme 3 gen 3

Damn, i wanted to say this but oh well you did it better than i could have written, nicely put. tho it cracks me up how you wrote this nice...

itgoesto11

Honestly he's been super careful with this build all the way down the line. The fingernail drama is just my son being stressed out. You see he has no adult authority here. He's running the show. There is no reason for me to return this MOBO because it should work. As for my not being able to remove the Bios properly, I followed the directions they sent exactly as written... the girl in customer service said she couldn't remove it either and she had a tech showing her how. Anyway, they said if I come in they'll put one on that is compatible with the Ivy Bridge. So As-ROCKS.

As a proponent and student of Regenerative Design, the whole concept of the human and environmental suffering resulting from the manufacture of this modern world is of great concern to me, but a computer forum is maybe the last place to be thinking on it. I won't buy an I-Pad for that very reason. In fact, I am very selective and do cradle to cradle assessments on most products that I buy. I'm obviously not yet off the grid on any level. But the last thing I would do is chuck a perfectly good motherboard into a landfill, and if I find out that something I did screwed it up, I eat the cost. Period.

Honestly he's been super careful with this build all the way down the line. The fingernail drama is just my son being stressed out. You see he has no adult authority here. He's running the show. There is no reason for me to return this MOBO because it should work. As for my not being able to remove the Bios properly, I followed the directions they sent exactly as written... the girl in customer service said she couldn't remove it either and she had a tech showing her how. Anyway, they said if I come in they'll put one on that is compatible with the Ivy Bridge. So As-ROCKS.

As a proponent and student of Regenerative Design, the whole concept of the human and environmental suffering resulting from the manufacture of this modern world is of great concern to me, but a computer forum is maybe the last place to be thinking on it. I won't buy an I-Pad for that very reason. In fact, I am very selective and do cradle to cradle assessments on most products that I buy. I'm obviously not yet off the grid on any level. But the last thing I would do is chuck a perfectly good motherboard into a landfill, and if I find out that something I did screwed it up, I eat the cost. Period.

Nice to hear some progress that's great news, its great that y'all got it figured out, and i hope when the replacement chip comes it will work fine. So keep checking in the TPU forum, you might find interesting information

itgoesto11

Not use a whole tube of thermal paste.... remove the screws holding it down... hmmm, I'll consider that.

Now for the useful bit of this diatribe. What does rma mean? And what is a 2500K? Are you saying the Z68 extreme3 gen3 won't work even if I get the Bios update? Or that there is a better board for these components?

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
rma means return the item for exchange or refund.

thermal paste is easy to apply, either a size of a pea right in the center of the mobo so it spreads as you put pressure on it or an X formation.

2500k is an older processor. the bios update needs an older processor in order to update the bios so it can use the new chip it does not recognize. however, I don't think this is your problem. I have built 2-3 PC's but I am no expert, it is a shame you don't have someone to help your son with this. If it helps, LinusTechTips on Youtube, and Newegg on youtube are good places to start. Type your product name in youtube, you generally get good results and unexpected answers.

edit: I didn't mean to bring up the issue of coltan, it just kind of happens sometimes, I spent a long time researching it. amazes me how much of our joy comes from the destruction of something else. regardless, didn't mean to bring it up to begin with. take care and I hope you get your PC issues fixed.

Last edited:

itgoesto11

edit: I didn't mean to bring up the issue of coltan, it just kind of happens sometimes, I spent a long time researching it. amazes me how much of our joy comes from the destruction of something else. regardless, didn't mean to bring it up to begin with. take care and I hope you get your PC issues fixed.[/QUOTE]

No worries I think talking about the environmental impact of the choices we make in what we purchase is a good thing. And I've had to peel myself up off the floor of my environmental science classes - so depressing. Anyway, we make better choices when we have good information. I was however upset by the idea of chucking a perfectly good MOBO - like not being able to tweezer a Bios off - something so minor could have totaled it?

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
well if you know how to do those kinds of things... like not being able to tweezer a Bios off then you should know how to build a PC pretty easily. my answer in regards to returning the mobo was under the assumption you and your son were in over your head with no legit help.

Last edited:

itgoesto11

well if you know how to do those kinds of things... like not being able to tweezer a Bios off then you should know how to build a PC pretty easily. my answer in regards to returning the mobo was under the assumption you and your son were in over your head with no legit help.

I actually used a PLCC paper clip chip extractor. It looks like a fancy tweezer. My attempt at humor. Anyway, I came here to get some outside of the box advice, but I probably shouldn't have started the thread with "I am lost" LOL. It was a momentary lapse of judgement. Honestly the Youtube videos and customer support so far have been phenomenal, but when that cooler didn't come off easily I certainly didn't want to tweak the board or the CPU, and I couldn't find any info about how to remove it which worried me as people must have to remove them from time to time - that's when I realized I needed a panel of "experts" who can give me in the trenches advice on the stuff that is not covered in the specs or the manual. As for in over our head, well maybe, but didn't everyone start here where we are? With no experience? As for getting a different board, well my son was on a budget and he stuck very closely to it. He made some sacrifices, which I think everyone probably understands. I'll look into the Z77, but that purchase may be down the road. I'd hate to abandon this Z68 anyway, I've grown kind of partial to it. If the Z68 can be modified to read the same code as the Z77 then? I got the impression the Z77 would run cooler when overclocked, but does that mean the Z68 will fail when overclocked? I'm not feeling the love here for the Z68 or maybe it's just the combination of the Z68 and the new Intel Ivy Bridge. I got the impression from AsRock that flashing a Bios was just par for the course with tech advances being what they are.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!

itgoesto11

Good luck on getting that system all together and running... there a large group of folks here willing to help :toast:

FYI- for some light reading when you get your system going- this link below demonstrates that no one is perfect:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160004&highlight=first+fail

Norton, where have you been? I'm off to AsRock.... honestly, I'm seeing this as a grand adventure. Is it really very easy to fail miserably at this? No don't answer that question...

If the Z68 can be modified to read the same code as the Z77 then? I got the impression the Z77 would run cooler when overclocked, but does that mean the Z68 will fail when overclocked? I'm not feeling the love here for the Z68 or maybe it's just the combination of the Z68 and the new Intel Ivy Bridge

Z77 wont exactly run cooler, people suggested that as being an easy way out (Out of the box functionality with Ivy Bridge). Z68 wont fail when overclocked great platform too, its just Sandy Bridge eg i5-2500K overclock better than Ivy Bridge eg i5-3570K, it was not directed at the Z68 mobo, and does not mean Ivy Bridge is bad in fact its better clock for clock performance and uses less power while giving equal or better performance.

I have a Z68 mobo and i love it. it an Intel Desktop Board DZ68BC Extreme Series.

People suggested Z77 coz of the combination with Ivy Bridge it was an easy out of the box option unlike most Z68.

tho my DZ68BC can run Ivy Bridge Processors, Intel released an update a few days before Ivy bridge was launched so i downloaded and installed it NOTE that i was already running a compatible processor at the time i5-2500K, i updated BIOS for possible future upgrade

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
HonBut the last thing I would do is chuck a perfectly good motherboard into a landfill, and if I find out that something I did screwed it up, I eat the cost. Period.

Nice to hear that.. I see a lot of people trying to find ways to make developers pay for their mistakes, lieing to them, saying "oh it was broken when I got it, etc etc".. Always good to post some pictures if you can. ^^
GL.

PS; Yes it is easy to fail miserably "If you're not paying attention and you're stress out"..lol.. Just be careful..
If you do get stressed, STOP WORK IMMEDIATELY.. Trust me.. Step away and come back to it later..

itgoesto11

D007;2630432 PS; Yes it is easy to fail miserably "If you're not paying attention and you're stress out"..lol.. Just be careful.. If you do get stressed said:
HAHAHAHA, yes stop work immediately. Wiser words were never spoken. Actually, I just got back from AsRock and everything is in perfect order, the Bios is updated. We did not harm it. In fact watching the guy work with the MOBO I now know we were treating it all too timidly. The Bios was in perfect shape and now it's updated, check, the CPU operational, check, 8 gigs of DRAM, check... The only problem I now have is that the Technician says not to use the Cooler Master heat sink fan. He says he's getting MOBO's returned that are damaged from the metal screws that attach these after market fans. He had a fan in the shop that he recommended because the screws were plastic and it did not need the back plate metal attachment to secure it to the MOBO. I took pictures of the fan because he didn't have the sku number or manufacturers name. Can anyone identify this fan? Or make a suggestion about how to solve this issue?

Attachments

• IMG00166-20120515-1145.jpg
    IMG00166-20120515-1145.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG00167-20120515-1145.jpg
    IMG00167-20120515-1145.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 412

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
lame tech is lame, there is no valid reason not to use the cooler you have. If a cooler is installed correctly there is very little chance of damage. I wont recommend you buy a cooler with pushpins, if you want to go that route, use the cooler that shipped with the CPU.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
HAHAHAHA, yes stop work immediately. Wiser words were never spoken. Actually, I just got back from AsRock and everything is in perfect order, the Bios is updated. We did not harm it. In fact watching the guy work with the MOBO I now know we were treating it all too timidly. The Bios was in perfect shape and now it's updated, check, the CPU operational, check, 8 gigs of DRAM, check... The only problem I now have is that the Technician says not to use the Cooler Master heat sink fan. He says he's getting MOBO's returned that are damaged from the metal screws that attach these after market fans. He had a fan in the shop that he recommended because the screws were plastic and it did not need the back plate metal attachment to secure it to the MOBO. I took pictures of the fan because he didn't have the sku number or manufacturers name. Can anyone identify this fan? Or make a suggestion about how to solve this issue?

That heatsink isn't as effective as the CoolerMaster unit. Most aftermarket heatsinks will install with no trouble at all.

PM sneekypeet or wait for him to post on the issue, he's one of our resident experts in such things. I would follow whatever advice he offers ;)

*** EDIT- too late- he's already posted :laugh: ***

itgoesto11

lame tech is lame, there is no valid reason not to use the cooler you have. If a cooler is installed correctly there is very little chance of damage. I wont recommend you buy a cooler with pushpins, if you want to go that route, use the cooler that shipped with the CPU.

From what I saw on the MOBO that was damaged, the guy had tightened the fan down severely. Under those metal screws there is circuitry that got damaged. I'm thinking that a snug but not tight mount is the way to go. It was the same guy who returned two MOBO's with the same damage, the Technician didn't say he was seeing this problem from other customers, so I'm thinking it was the way that particular guy mounted the Cooler Master. My son says the fan he got is the most popular one on the market, so he wants to stick with it and save up for some kind of liquid system for later. And Sneekypeet, that fan just came off no problem when the tech did it. Our problem is that we were being too careful with the components and the MOBO - like it would crumble into dust before our very eyes if we so much as breathed on it. The Tech pulled the Bios off with a bent nose plier - having the right tool for the job doesn't hurt either.

@itgoesto11

Check out my Z68 (DZ68BC), I know the pictures are blurry and not that clear its coz i was using a webcam.
One many reasons why i love my Z68, I'm sure your son will find plenty of things interesting with the AsRock Z68 as-well.
Here are the pictures, i haven't done cable routing yet, and I'll get an after market cooler for overclocking soon

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
First off, congrats on the working build

Second BS on keeping the 13 yo far from his baby, uhh I mean PC. Just make sure he understands that if he f**ks up, he's gunna pay out of his pocket (so that he understands that if he wants a baby... uh, custom PC I mean, he's gotta take care of it etc, not a punishment). I built my first rig at 8yo, and payed and bought my 2nd rig at ~17 (put down 2000$ lol). As long as he dos the research etc, its a fun experience.

Third, we love helping people like you, so don't be afraid to ask anything that you couldn't find in a few minutes of googling :p Tell your son to join in the Techpowerup fun ;) lots to learn here. Next time he wants to buy something, run it through here etc, it makes you understand everything so well.

I came to TPU as a real noob who had done maybe 2 hours of research about computers and almost starting a flamewar with my 1st thread lmao, but now I've got a couple dozen build under my belt and am starting to become a veteran :D It really is even ore fun building PCs and overclocking etc when you understand what you are doing ;)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I think you're being far too generous. My parents stopped with a celeron, there was no way they were getting me hardware that good when I was that young. I hope he realizes how lucky he is. :)

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
When the parents can afford it and afford to spend that much time for it, I don't see too much of a problem to spoil your kids from time to time xD