1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Aspire One readings

Discussion in 'RealTemp' started by Lodovik, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Lodovik New Member

Thanks Received:
    I first used CoreTemp on my Acer Aspire One (AA1) and was surprised by the readings:
    -Idle: around 60C
    -Bench: around 85C
    -TJmax: 120C

For an Atom N270 CPU @ 1.6 GHz, it seems to be much higher than expected. I almost suspected a badly attached heat sink. I've heard about Real Temp and decided to give it a try.

Real Temp gaves me an idle of 32C, which seems more plausible. I just wonder if Real Temp supports correctly the Atom CPU. Core Temp site says they supports the Atom but Real Temp site doesn't mention it.

Have you done some testings with the Atom CPU? How could I find the correct readings?

Keep up the good work!
  2. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try using Speed Fan and everest to check the tempratures. Your bios should give you the correct Temps.
    Are all the softwares you used the latest versions?
  3. Lodovik New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, Acer's BIOS doesn't give me much information apart CPU type, serial no. and memory installed. No hardware monitoring can be found. Thanks anyways, it was a good idea.

I think I will setup the system with both CoreTemp and RealTemp running, put the computer to sleep long enough to cool down to room temparature, then wake up the system and have a quick look at the temp monitors. The one closest to room temperature must be the most accurate. I will report here when I've done this.
  4. Lodovik New Member

Thanks Received:
    At 23C room temperature, RealTemp gave me 20C and CoreTemp 50C. The correct temp was 34C, based on a new Fan control utility for the Acer Aspire One.

So, RealTemp is closer and CoreTemp way off... if the readings of the new utility were correct.
  5. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like other people have said..try downloading everest it is pretty accurate.
  6. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    did you try using speed fan?
  7. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    realtemp and coretemp both read 26c on mine. i found that i can OC it with setfsb as well. i can get almost 2ghz before it gets too hot.
  8. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    lol fit

I'm gonna be picking one of these up soon
  9. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    i'd OC just about anything if i could
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    Lodovik: I read the Intel datasheet for your Atom N270 and found that the correct TjMax is 90C. I'll try to get that fixed up in version 2.79 which I'll be releasing to the beta area shortly. I sent you a link to that earlier today.

That information could help you get some accurate core temperatures from your CPU but the reality is that these sensors are not designed for that purpose. The specifications in the datasheet confirm that using these sensors to report idle temps isn't a great idea.

5.3 Digital Thermal Sensor

Note: The digital thermal sensor (DTS) accuracy is in the order of -5°C ~ +10°C around
    90°C; it deteriorates to ±10°C at 50°C. The DTS temperature reading saturates at
    some temperature below 50°C. Any DTS reading below 50°C should be considered to
    indicate only a temperature below 50°C and not a specific temperature. External
    thermal sensor with “BJT” model is required to read thermal diode temperature.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320032.pdf

The RealTemp calibration procedure can really help out with these sensors but it is designed only for a well air cooled, or watered cooled, desktop processor and is not intended for mobile processors. Any RealTemp calibration adjustment for mobile processors is little more than guessing.
  11. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Would you OC a Sound card? How about an Xbox360? :laugh::rockout:
  12. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    WOOT!!!!

i upgraded to 1.5gb of ram in my aspireone and i noticed that the "heatsink" has no fins at all. it's a flat piece of metal.

i took 2 zalman ramsinks and placed them on the metal plate and reassembled.

now my temps are 7c - 11c cooler!!!
  13. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:

the heat sink is a flat peace of metal? WTF? make a custom heat sink for it!
  14. Impulse New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that's very common of all these netbooks, the Dell Mini or 900 or whatever it's called also has a pancake flat piece of metal for a heatsink and that one doesn't even have any sort of fan... See Anandtech's review for some good pics. If they were using Intel's more recent chipset and slightly better designed heatsinks none of them would need a fan and they'd all probably get better battery life.