1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer CEO: We’re Going to Stop Selling Cheap, Unprofitable Crap

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mlee49, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    It's about time Acer fessed up to making crap. Here's more:

Personally I've never like Acer products, not even their monitors. What do you guys think?

digibucc says thanks.
  2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I played with a friend's Iconia tab, it was pretty well built. I recommended an Acer laptop to a friend for his girlfriend, and a month after using it the trackpad started acting up. Not sure what I think about the brand, maybe they can aid me into making up my mind.

3. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I like there products, well from what I have owned so far.

I have had a few monitors and a laptop.

The laptop was bought in 2006/2007 for my last year @ uni, its still fully working, used daily.
    I cant complain no issue with Acer.

That being said:

Doesn't sound great for an Acer owners stand point, though we know its cheap no need to talk about the elephant in the room.

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    No, I've never thought Acer were that hot a brand and look, they've now admitted it. However, does this imply that they're now gonna start making more expensive, but better products? If so, then I'm all for it. Product quality is something that's often sacrificed by manufacturers just to save a few pennies here and there.

5. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    only acer shit i've ever liked was their TimelineX series, those were pretty good.

everything else, shite

mlee49 says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I've liked Acer in the past because they've always been cheap. I mean you get what you pay for, and for a lot of people every saved penny counts. Cheap does not always equal crap.

7. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    The monitor I have is great and a friend has a nice laptop from them but I think we might have lucked out on our models...

8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I have a netbook by them, and I have to say I like it, however anyone who has Acer laptops here on campus regrets it pretty soon. You don't see tons of Asus laptops going back to RMA.

9. xaira

Thanks Received:
    i love acer's products, monitors, netbooks, the only tablet i see myself buying is the w500, no one else put a c-50 in a netbook and put an HDMI port on it for $300, to me acers strategy has been the best, make cheap products, minus the frills, that people can actually use, i swear by the AS5253 fusion notebook series, please dont change acer, l know everybody wants to be like apple for profitability, but apple just knows how to market their overpriced useless pieces of garbage, imagine if you knew how to market your usefull products, you would be unstoppable

10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Among the top 3 major vendors (Acer, HP, Dell), they're the only ones that had more than decent gaming prebuilts (excepting Voodoo and Alienware).

They have ones with a 4870 or a GTX 260 when the best cards you can get from HP and Dell were GT 240s and HD 4670s.

11. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Definitely agree with Asus laptops not having issues, my G50 is still going strong when I fire it up for things now and again and I put that thing through the wringer with the games I played lol

What usually goes wrong with their Acer laptops though?

12. DragonBorn

DragonBorn New Member

Thanks Received:
    My m8 runs a computer shop and 80% all the laptops he gets to fix are acer,s
    Power leads to the laptop arc out screens crap out keyboreds stop working
    its funny every time i go in to his shop hes at work on a acer laptop lol

13. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    I've owned two Acer monitors (including my current one) and they've both held up really well. Their Iconia tablet works well also.

That said, I never recommended Acer laptops in the past, those were hot garbage!

14. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I've owned a bunch of Acer products and so far I've liked every one. Not as much as to rave about them, though, but they work as they should and are very affordable.

My most recent purchase was my 22" monitor and I'm waiting for an Aspire One 722 (C-50 1GHz). All the work laptops are Acer too, except for an old Vaio used to run the label printing program. I wouldn't have thought that they were having rough times. :confused:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt consider acer products top of the line but in the past I had a acer laptop that I loved and I currently have 3x acer monitors for my gaming pc and they work great. They make good bang for the buck products.

16. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    :confused:Sooo... everyone who bought their piece of crap(as admitted by ceo) before is entitled to what as seeing how Acer duped millions who thought they were buying a quality product.

DragonBorn says thanks.
  17. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The CEO didn't say that. mlee49 did. The quote reads:

He's saying that they have been selling their products for cheap so it's a goodbye to the old affordable Acer products.

mlee49 and ensabrenoir say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. DragonBorn

DragonBorn New Member

Thanks Received:
    been selling their products for cheap,
    Makes me think why that is .?
    So there addmit that what there sell is crap then

19. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Generally bum hard drive or monitor issues. I have seen tons of blown panels / broken back lights.

20. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm happy with my monitor.

As far as changing their marketing and increasing profitability... sounds similar to what the-company-that-renamed-itself-LG did (I can't remember the old name); they did a rebranding and focused on improving profitability and quality across all their product lines. Could be a smart move for Acer, it depends on how well they can compete against LG, as their product markets overlap somewhat (monitors for example), As for laptops, well, any improvement in quality would be good, I guess it depends on the price points and feature sets of the new-improved product lines.

21. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Never owned any of their stuff, but I know a few family members that have owned one or 2 ACER laptops/netbooks.

On Acers part - they seem to have a lot of inconsistency when it comes to build quality which brings reliability into question.

I last time i checked there were multiple "I hate Acer" facebook groups so Acer already have a tainted reputation.

However, there are some Acer laptops/netbooks that will just work and work and work while others die within weeks or months of purchase.
    My aunt got an Acer laptop back in 2008 - its still working to this day, but on her part she hardly used it at all.

at least the CEO isnt denying that they make some really crap peices of kit and i hope they get their QA team in check and up their standards.

22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    their products are cheap. I like the monitors because they were like $100 less than any competing 23" at the time. and i'm still happy with them because of the savings ( I bought 3 at once) ... but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for any other reason.

And I have not had luck with their laptops either. I must be crazy because i still like them as a brand. they're simple. but atm there's no real reason to like them imo.

23. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Very happy with my Acer 24" monitor. My Acer Laptop had the issue with the GFX card dying(the whole badly soldered NV card incident) But that was replaced under warranty at no cost to me. So I have no real complaints with the Acer products I own.

24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what prompted this bout of honesty.

25. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look anyone who thinks buying Acer was quality was trying to get good stuff on the cheap, means not much research and buying due to price.

para-phrasing but kind of accurate.

Really should take monitors out of the loop, Acer monitors are bang for buck gear.

INSTG8R says thanks.