1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ACER Travelmate Processor Upgrade but cannot access clock

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Good CO, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Good CO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I've got a new Pentium M 740 1.7 processor for my Travelmate 800, the slowest of the 800 series with a 1.3 Pentium M as standard. The chipset is good, the screen is good, the graphics card is good, so I've decided to try an upgrade.

Travelmate 800s came in 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 Pentium M Banias as standard so I have stepped slightly out of Acer's standard processors for the range, although Intels family and type is still the same. The chipset is an Intel 82855PM (still current and does support the processor, although at 400 rather than 533) and the BIOS is a Phoenix Note BIOS.

My problem is that I haven't been able to work out how to raise the processor clock speed despite a lot of searching on the web. I've pulled the motherboard out and can't find any jumpers on either side, and I can't adjust it through the standard BIOS pages. I've reflashed the BIOS, in case it was some form of autodetect, and I pulled the BIOS battery out and left it overnight for the same reason.

There is only one motherboard / part number listed for the 800 range and there is no need to specify processor speed when ordering, so as far as I can see there MUST be a way to change the clock multiplier for the different processors in the range.

My next steps were to use a full version of Winphlash, rather than the limited version available from Acer. I backed up my Bios and got access to he advanced features of Winphlash, but still nothing referring to processor speed.

The rated processor speed is being correctly identified by BIOS, Windows and any applications such as Sandra. Sandra is interesting as it lists processor rated speed (correct), processor clock actual speed (12xx Hz) - correct and, most significantly the annoying original 1.3 Mhz quoted for the system, and the software must be getting this figure from somewhere but I can't work out where.

Any ideas much appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

Rob.

2. barnish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't the problem you are seeing because you have bought the 533MHz FSB cpu version rather than the 400MHz FSB cpu version?

I think the BIOS is assuming that it is 400MHz FSB and this is causing the CPU frequency to be scaled down by 400/533. By the way, do you have any problem with the fan like in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=50403

I'm considering this upgrade, but not if the fan doesn't work!