1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer X223HQ 21.5 inch screen problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mabobine, May 19, 2010.

1. mabobine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I am software tester by profession. I was suppose to test an application at screen resolution 1280 * 1024 on 17 inch LCD, but due to my eye sight problem, I requested my management to buy me a larger LCD so that I can do the testing effectively.

The management bought me Acer X223HQ 21.5 inch screen. The following problems occured when I set the screen resolution to 1280 * 1024:

1. Things got a little stretched and didn't look soothing to eyes
    2. I felt dizzy after some 5 minutes

Can you please guide me of what exactly should be done, to rectify the above problems.

Thanks in advance.

2. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    lcds are designed to be run at their native resolution, so my guess is that's the reason you are noticing the screen looks stretched.

3. mabobine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response.

Can you suggest me any alternative? What can cause dizziness?

4. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    the refresh rate may be lower than what you're used to, but this is more commonly a problem w/ CRT monitors. most lcds use 60 hz refresh rates which is low as far as CRT monitors go, but again, normal for lcd. to me, 60 hz on a CRT gives me a headache, but my lcd uses 60 hz and it's fine.

5. mabobine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you provide me solution?

6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU!

Running at native resolution has already been suggested and that's a good idea. You can set Windows to use larger fonts to offset the extra difficulty in reading the same things when at higher resolutions.

As far as readability, and the effect of the monitor on you (dizziness, etc.), you might benefit from a monitor with a higher contrast ratio. I recently had an eye injury and have since found myself straining to see my old LCD. Upgraded to a Samsung 275T which is much brighter with higher contrast, and far more readable, and I now find computing to be much more enjoyable/tolerable.