• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acronis True Image 2011 problems/questions

Hi,

Does anybody here understand the eternal mysteries of Acronis True Image - specifically, it's system of 'incremental' back-ups and so on? I've flirted with ATI over the years, as the idea of a 'fail safe' :) back-up system is obviously attractive - and sensible. However, every time I've used it I've found that the back-ups created by ATI get completely out of control and quickly threaten to consume all my hard drive space, and I end up uninstalling it. Very frustrating!

Anyway, three days ago I thought I would have another go. So I created a Acronis Secure Zone all on default settings, which came to 35.9 GB. I then did an incremental back-up of my 27.8 GB system partition (the C drive) on default settings, so it was compressed down to 15 GB. Naturally, I placed the back-up in the Secure Zone and scheduled it for a daily 'incremental' back-up at 9.00 am (and I also activated Acronis Start-up Recovery Manager, the 'F11 option', and a made a Bootable disc).

Thus, the next day - as instructed - Acronis made a back-up at 9.00 am. So far, so good. However, I noticed that the 'incremental' back-up made by Acronis was a massive 6.08 GB, which I find somewhat inexplicable since I hadn't installed anything else on my C drive during those 24 hours. How come the back-up was so big? I also noticed that Acronis was telling me in red letters (already!) that there was "not enough free space" in the Secure Zone - even though it had told me that the back-up had being "successful". And then the next morning the 'incremental' back-up was another 4.97 GB, bringing into a total of 26.08 GB - meaning that within 48 hours the size of the back-up made by Acronis was almost as big as the original target drive (ie, 27. GB). At this rate, of about 5 GB a day, my 'incremental' back-ups will amount to some 165 GB or more! :eek:

Does anybody know why this is happening? Is there some mysterious setting, or option, that I've managed to overlook - despite going over it on near countless occasions? Obviously, I know there are 'differential' back-ups - but they are supposed to take up more room than Incremental back-ups, so I don't find that a particularly alluring idea.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
If you want to use such programs, then I think you should let it put the image on a different (external or internal) Hard Drive. And to be safe, you could choose to make an entire new backup every time. At least that's how I did it when using ATI.

Quote: "I've flirted with ATI over the years,..."
And with AMD I am sure....

Now seriousely. Apart from many issues in its 2011 version (read their forums), here a hint: If Windows does Defrag at night (it is a 'silent' defrag in W7), all those re-allocated bytes will be part of your incremental backup....

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Hi,

I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro Premier - do you think that could be the problem?

Regards,
DANNY

yes - try turning it off and see if you still have the problem. Shadow copies and defragmenters do not like each other.

But I think I will just take a snapshot/image of System drive about once a month (overwriting the previous image), whilst scheduling for a daily incremental back-up of my data (ie, My Documents). That sounds like the most sensible set up for me - agree?

Cheers,
DANNY

Personally I'd rather keep 1 Image of my system right after it has all the basics installed and updated, and keep that for reinstalls. Not update this image with daily crap....
Use Windows image maker of whatever.

Apart, a daily Personal Files backup program. Preferibly an easy, unocclusive, unpatented one. There are tiny freeware ones. I use Synctoy 2.