• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

acrylic reservoir wire pass-through

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
I am working on a project, not a computer, that involves a rather large acrylic reservoir filled with silicone oil. Several wires have to pass through the walls of the reservoir, which is sealed. Various data/signal cables as well as power cables need to enter and leave the tank in an manner which does not breach the seal. The operating pressure of the involved process is 2 PSIG.

I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice/ideas for accomplishing this task. Short of a custom etched circuit board (with plugs on both sides) sealed against an opening in the tank, I have not been able to think of a solution myself.

For extra credit, how can I go about removing condensation from the vapor above the fluid level in said reservoir? Can I artificially heat the vapor to move the dew point? Is there a H2O scrubber I can use?

Last edited:

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
I figured out what to do, so I am posting my solution here, to serve the rare case of a related search.

Rubber grommets from an industrial supplier can be used, but they should be a smaller diameter than the cable insulation. Seal this press-fit with epoxy, and also seal the grommet to the reservoir walls with epoxy. This solution might be useful to electronics modders.

I am solving the condensation problem with a small heater. I had a other idea that I might share with the modding community however. If you line the reservoir with a bladder, you can increase the pressure around the bladder relative to the process operating pressure to bleed vapor with a pressure relief valve.

Interestingly, you could release the bladder pressure after the process is sealed. In this way the process operating pressure would be neutral, negating leaks in restricted areas. Just a thought for sharing. I don't know if fill tubes for modded computer loops ever have condensation problems (contaminating the coolant) but this could be a potential solution if you are running a thermoelectric block along with the loop.

Lastly a H2O scrubber is well known as a dehumidifier :slap:, but I can't find one small enough for this task. I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time.