• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Active Media Products Introduces Penguin Bootable Linux USB Drive

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
ubuntu sucks.

I'm guessing you've never used it for an extended period of time?
Go and eat that huge Windows 7 cake that Microsoft sent you for spreading lies about a superior operating system for the vast majority of PC users. To whoever said that you needed a PHD in computer science to make use of Linux, you're wrong, Ubuntu is pretty damn idiot proof (as long as the installer doesn't hang, that becomes interesting), Linux mint seems even harder to break than UNR too. You can fit 9.04 into 700mb but it would be a stripped down version (probably the server version of the OS with a few packages added).
Yes, I have found the light side, Microsoft will fall in time as there is NO need for the vast majority of users to pay for an OS.

Ammugonevil

System Name Vader...(Alienware ALX X-58 Yes Im scum...)
Processor Intel Core i7-975 Stock clocking
Motherboard ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
Cooling Liquid cooling (AlienIce 3. to CPU), 3x 80mm Fans left and right, and rear
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 x1600 (3x 2GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 295 GTX 1,792 MB
Storage 1st Drive SSD 512GB (2x 256GB Raid 0), 2nd Drive 500GB 7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP
Case P2
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster Titanium X-FI 7.1, Alienware TactX™ Headset, Logitech X-210 2.1
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Software MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 2006 3DMark Score- 21,192.00 3DMarks SM2.0 Score- 7,670.00 HDR/SM3.0 Score- 10,588.00
Wait, so the 16gb drive here for $43 is a reasonable price, but the 32gb stick in a previous news post for $85 is unreasonable and there is a huge conspiracy keeping prices inflated for those sticks?

Now i'm confused...

OT this stick seems pointless - as others have stated you could get a normal standard shape usb stick and put your own live linux distro on it with little effort, other than the novelty of having an unreasonably large usb stick i don't see the appeal.

Sorry - I forgot to explain that I actually care a great deal about the work the WWF fund does, and as such in this unusual case, I may actually consider making a donation in return for a useful product.

I understand that it is a great deal cheaper to jippo yer own at home, and anyone can do it, but I personally think its a great way for a charity to generate motivated support.

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
If you're using it for games it is limited yes, the VAST majority of the time I'm not doing anything for which I'd need Windows, only times I have needed to use windows recently are an anime I torrented which has no subtitles and the uploader only mentioned CCCP as working, I could probably find a linux way, using my lexmark printer and editing playlists for my iPod, pretty damned brilliant otherwise though...

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Of course Microsoft will fall, everything dies, everything has an end. I just don't see it going anywhere anytime soon until game developers quit using Direct X, which Microsoft has a monopoly over.

Ammugonevil

Cooling Liquid cooling (AlienIce 3. to CPU), 3x 80mm Fans left and right, and rear
Case P2
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster Titanium X-FI 7.1, Alienware TactX™ Headset, Logitech X-210 2.1
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 2006 3DMark Score- 21,192.00 3DMarks SM2.0 Score- 7,670.00 HDR/SM3.0 Score- 10,588.00
Well Star trek has survived the demise of Rodenberry... And that is just a series... microsoft now thats even larger...

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Or linux manages to change its image/ people actually research computers before they buy them (like hell does joe bloggs do anymore research than ask in the shop what's best for their needs before they get an overpriced OEM pile of garbage shoved on them). People are scared of change, that's why linux based netbooks get a higher return rate, not because it can't do what they need it to do.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
Linux doesn't do what I need it to do as a gamer. Sure, it would be great for.. uh... ??

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
The vast majority of other people who are too computer illiterate to play games in Windows, it'd benefit them. MS should make a FAR better product, if something that's free comes anything like close to something that can cost upwards of £100 the paid for product has cocked up somewhere.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
WTF :roll: Too computer illiterate to play games in Windows? I was doing that when I was 8 years old! If someone is too computer illiterate to install a game and play it in Windows, there's like... negative over 9000 chance they will want to move from Windows to Linux.

Maybe these types of people should stick to programs like these fine products:

Word Processor

Calculator

Meecrob

I'm guessing you've never used it for an extended period of time?
Go and eat that huge Windows 7 cake that Microsoft sent you for spreading lies about a superior operating system for the vast majority of PC users. To whoever said that you needed a PHD in computer science to make use of Linux, you're wrong, Ubuntu is pretty damn idiot proof (as long as the installer doesn't hang, that becomes interesting), Linux mint seems even harder to break than UNR too. You can fit 9.04 into 700mb but it would be a stripped down version (probably the server version of the OS with a few packages added).
Yes, I have found the light side, Microsoft will fall in time as there is NO need for the vast majority of users to pay for an OS.

hows close to 2 years setting it up for people at a local computer recycling charity where all the systems where noobuntu?

Win7 sucks, but nice try at insulting and belittling me, keep at it and somebody you may become a proper linux troll.

read this and understand how hard i tried to defend linux despite the fact its not my favorite os in the world.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=99357

btw, the resion i said what i said, I TRIED TO DEFEND LINUX and was informed by staff and other know it all's that linux is useless trash.

and no MS isnt going to fail/die out, Linux isnt to that point yet, sorry but even a guy who spend days trying to get know it all's in [utl=http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=99357]this thread[/url] to understand how much linux has come along cant say that for business and alot of other uses linux or mac can replace windows.

personaly I wont touch a debian/ubuntu based distro, slackware distros are far superior IMHO and far less moron know it all noobie penqintrolls.

btw I am a happy user of windows server 2008 "workstation" and there are alot of things your great noobuntu just cant do that i need to do on a daily basis.

for a netbook or the like, VectorLinux or another slack based distro is rockin tho(noobuntu is to damn heavy, its the vista pre-sp1 of the linux world)

Depends on what your using it for....

well, yeah those free disks do make great coasters for wood and glass tables, and you can also use them to scare birds away from a garden!!!!

Or linux manages to change its image/ people actually research computers before they buy them (like hell does joe bloggs do anymore research than ask in the shop what's best for their needs before they get an overpriced OEM pile of garbage shoved on them). People are scared of change, that's why linux based netbooks get a higher return rate, not because it can't do what they need it to do.

read this thread
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=99357

they taught me that linux is utterly useless to anybody whos got less then a PHD in computer sciences, I mean my father whos a fing noob that had to call dell every few days to get help with vista can use VectorLinux6 standard edition without asking me for help, but linux is way to hard for normal people to use.

WTF :roll: Too computer illiterate to play games in Windows? I was doing that when I was 8 years old! If someone is too computer illiterate to install a game and play it in Windows, there's like... negative over 9000 chance they will want to move from Windows to Linux.

Maybe these types of people should stick to programs like these fine products:

Word Processor
http://fakebill.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/blonde.jpg

Calculator
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/wcw573/Accessories-TimeTables3.jpg?t=1248978479

ah but people like us grewup with computers, many older people didnt, they are the ones that need the most hand holding, and you know the funniest part, I have put a good number of older people who know JACK SHIT about computers on Xandros or Vector(both linux distros) and had very few complaints, most complaints having to do with stuff that would happen on windows like the user not looking where they saved that picture of their grand daughter they got in an email.

for joe sixpack a good properly setup linux distro can cover everything they plan to do, and do it without leaving them open to malware/spyware/viruses that plauge windows(i love my windows but fact is that it lets stupid users do stupid things like install malware)

Oh shit, I started to forget the lesson WileE, Dippyskoodlez, FordGT90Concept and others taught me, Linux is to hard for normal people to use, you need at least a PHD in computer sciences to use it.....gotta remember that.....

K

kyle2020

More a novelty techy style stocking filler esque item than anything.

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Ubunto will run pretty much anything but i have found that its too much effort.. sorry pyro but as a gamer id rather pay for developers to do the work for you do have a point though

cous i got world of warcraft to run on a system but it was too much effort... so no...

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
I go to Windows for gaming, too much of a pain to install them through wine + the only system properly capable of gaming in my posession doesn't have linux of any variety on (I use linux for browsing and word processing etc, my dad moans about my desktop taking too much power).
Sorry for making assumptions Meecrob, I was being a bit of a linux troll, I might try a slackware based distro at some point, only reason I haven't so far is that I've only had to reinstall once and my internet was acting up so I ended up borrowing a linux mint boot disk from a friend. But linux is pretty damn easy to make your way around, sure you may need to google how to install stuff every now and again but it is usually a lot simpler than installing through windows (or just use synaptic).
@Hat: I meant the type of person who uses a console because they claim installing games etc is too complicated.
I'm seriously considering installing a linux distro on the PC my dad's giving to my aunt as well as win XP as XP just seems to be a virus magnet (guess UAC has changed my approach to security a bit as I destroyed my XP install on here). You may have to use software I don't on a daily basis (say CAD for instance but then again my school has software that runs better through wine than it does on vista although that's due to the IT managers knowing bugger all about computers).
Right, anti-MS rant is over but I still hate them for overcharging for the home version of the OS (particularly for someone going into sixth form, you still need the software but you can't get discounts like university students).

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
ah but people like us grewup with computers, many older people didnt, they are the ones that need the most hand holding, and you know the funniest part, I have put a good number of older people who know JACK SHIT about computers on Xandros or Vector(both linux distros) and had very few complaints, most complaints having to do with stuff that would happen on windows like the user not looking where they saved that picture of their grand daughter they got in an email.

for joe sixpack a good properly setup linux distro can cover everything they plan to do, and do it without leaving them open to malware/spyware/viruses that plauge windows(i love my windows but fact is that it lets stupid users do stupid things like install malware

That's not my point. My point is I was able to install and play games when I was 8 years old. Why can't a full grown adult not be able to do something an 8 year old child can?

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
I go to Windows for gaming, too much of a pain to install them through wine + the only system properly capable of gaming in my posession doesn't have linux of any variety on (I use linux for browsing and word processing etc, my dad moans about my desktop taking too much power).
Sorry for making assumptions Meecrob, I was being a bit of a linux troll, I might try a slackware based distro at some point, only reason I haven't so far is that I've only had to reinstall once and my internet was acting up so I ended up borrowing a linux mint boot disk from a friend. But linux is pretty damn easy to make your way around, sure you may need to google how to install stuff every now and again but it is usually a lot simpler than installing through windows (or just use synaptic).
@Hat: I meant the type of person who uses a console because they claim installing games etc is too complicated.
I'm seriously considering installing a linux distro on the PC my dad's giving to my aunt as well as win XP as XP just seems to be a virus magnet (guess UAC has changed my approach to security a bit as I destroyed my XP install on here). You may have to use software I don't on a daily basis (say CAD for instance but then again my school has software that runs better through wine than it does on vista although that's due to the IT managers knowing bugger all about computers).
Right, anti-MS rant is over but I still hate them for overcharging for the home version of the OS (particularly for someone going into sixth form, you still need the software but you can't get discounts like university students).

Dude a lil space baring wouldn't hurt thats hard to read...

I'm NOT picking sides... but I hear you hat...

Its' not at all that I expect everyone on earth to be able to compile their own custom kernel, but the basic ability to install their own printer drivers doesn't really seem TOO much to ask from somebody who spends 5hr's + per working day using a computer for the last 10 years :\

NOT really on the exact same topic - but its genuinely concerning how many ppl who actively use computers every day have nearly NO clue what-so-ever.

One would think it would just soak in over time.

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Yep, the number of people like that is unbelievable. My dad wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL of installing a game through steam even if it was preinstalled, let alone straight off the disk (I'm not talking E:TW installer issues here). Linux is simpler to use than Windows for the vast majority of users, sure I've been using Windows for years but it took me all of 5 minutes to learn how to use linux, hell even the wireless card on the lappy in my sig which needs the proprietary driver to work (fun times installing it without internet...) Sod it, I'm starting a new topic on this as we've gone way OT here.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Not really...

I'm sorry but I epically fail at comprehending the possibility of somebody not being able to install or play a game on Windows, let alone taking it a step further and taking the same person and introducing them to Linux and expecting them to be able to use it easier than they did Windows.

I DO believe that it is possible to take somebody off the street who doesn't know jack shit about computers in the least (which means they wouldn't know how to install/use games on Windows) and introduce them to a user-friendly edition of Linux and getting that to work. But not somebody who has been using Windows for a while, yet can't figure out how to install a game and expect them to pick up a totally different OS (Linux) like it's nothing...

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Apart from an hour or so of complaining and demanding I reinstalled Windows on my laptop my dad had no issues whatsoever with Ubuntu desktop (he did spend years working with windows systems but never knows what to do if something goes properly wrong).

I use Windows on my desktop, for gaming. On my laptop, I have Ubuntu, because it does everything I need, and it does it faster than windows.

Yes, I think a lot more people could be using Linux. I think a lot of the time, the only reason they are using Windows is because it was what was installed for them (on their dell/hp/etc.)

Just put large icons that say "Internet" and "Email" on the desktop, and I'm pretty sure 50% of users wouldn't care what o/s they were using (see chrome OS).

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Nifty idea, but why Ubuntu? At least give us a proper distro.

As to the simplicity argument, download random linux programs online, and install them in linux with the ease that you can install Windows programs.

Also note that Meecrob is just being a troll. Only one person in the other thread said linux sucks, the others just pointed out the fact that Windows is easier to use.

Last edited:
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Ubuntu will be fine for the main purpose of this memory stick (recovering data from a messed up windows install) as you just need to open up the other drive find the files you're after and copy them over, reinstall windows install the drivers to read the ext3 filesystem and wham bam thankyou maam you're system is fixed.