• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Active Media Products Introduces Penguin Bootable Linux USB Drive

Ubuntu will be fine for the main purpose of this memory stick (recovering data from a messed up windows install) as you just need to open up the other drive find the files you're after and copy them over, reinstall windows install the drivers to read the ext3 filesystem and wham bam thankyou maam you're system is fixed.

that's dumb.

Use a livecd and format the flash drive as ntfs.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
For those people who only have one system? Sure, I could get to a live CD in under a minute in either of my houses but do you really think the majority of people can make a live CD themselves? As long as the drivers for the Ext3 filesystem were linked to in a bit of paperwork with the drive there wouldn't be an issue.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
do you really think the majority of people can make a live CD themselves?

Yes. It only requires 2 things:

The person has to be willing... you can't take a person off the steet and force them to learn something they don't want or care to know.

A knowledge source, such as this website.

Unless the person has a learning disability, it's possible. It's just that most people don't care to know, so... they don't.

For those people who only have one system? Sure, I could get to a live CD in under a minute in either of my houses but do you really think the majority of people can make a live CD themselves? As long as the drivers for the Ext3 filesystem were linked to in a bit of paperwork with the drive there wouldn't be an issue.

And knowing and buying a flash drive with Ubuntu on it is somehow easier?

It doesn't take a genius to burn an ISO to disc.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
Then go to the BIOS and tell the mobo to boot to DVD first? As if that's easier for people, screw it the general public is too thick to be able to install an operating system anyway, I forgot that I'm surrounded by either people with far better than average computing skills or people who are generally smarter than the general population (private school so likelihood is they are), guess computers are too complicated to use properly unless you have a PHD as linux is easier to install than XP and probably Vista. All my systems have had USB ahead of DVD except for my desktop I think in terms of boot order.

someone who knew abou ubuntu and went out and bought an flash drive with it won't know how to press f12 to boot from optical drive?
sounds like you are arguing for the sake of argument.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
This is not meant for the average joe.
I want one...

Nifty idea, but why Ubuntu? At least give us a proper distro.

As to the simplicity argument, download random linux programs online, and install them in linux with the ease that you can install Windows programs.

Also note that Meecrob is just being a troll. Only one person in the other thread said linux sucks, the others just pointed out the fact that Windows is easier to use.

Hey, you are right. In Windows it is much easier to download software from any old craphole, and get your computer infected. Perfect for computer illiterates.... :shadedshu /end sarcasm

Orrrrr, we could hook such people up with an o/s that has a huge list of trusted software, that you can install from within the o/s just by putting a checkbox by it (see nearly every modern Linux distro). Here is another wild concept, if you want to actually go beyond these trusted vendors, you have to *shock* actually know what you are doing! Woahhhh crazy idea there...

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Then go to the BIOS and tell the mobo to boot to DVD first? As if that's easier for people, screw it the general public is too thick to be able to install an operating system anyway, I forgot that I'm surrounded by either people with far better than average computing skills or people who are generally smarter than the general population (private school so likelihood is they are), guess computers are too complicated to use properly unless you have a PHD as linux is easier to install than XP and probably Vista. All my systems have had USB ahead of DVD except for my desktop I think in terms of boot order.

Except that the general piblic won't be looking to buy flash drives with Linux on them. And all of my mobos always default with the CDROM before the hard drive, so it doesn't matter if USB is before that. The live CD will run if there is no floppy then no USB boot device. The last thing that boots by default is the HDD.

Hey, you are right. In Windows it is much easier to download software from any old craphole, and get your computer infected. Perfect for computer illiterates.... :shadedshu /end sarcasm

Orrrrr, we could hook such people up with an o/s that has a huge list of trusted software, that you can install from within the o/s just by putting a checkbox by it (see nearly every modern Linux distro). Here is another wild concept, if you want to actually go beyond these trusted vendors, you have to *shock* actually know what you are doing! Woahhhh crazy idea there...
It doesn't matter if it's crapware or not. That's not the point. The point is that it's easy for me as a user to install what I wish. Of course the most popular platform is going to have tons of crap available for it. Linux would be in the same boat if it was number 1. Besides, linux does have really crappy software as well. The devs just hide behind the "beta" excuse.

As for the bolded sentence, you just made my point for me. Thank you. ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited: