1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Activision to Infinity Ward:"Screw it, you're all fired. Just finish that DLC first."

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Apr 29, 2010.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I started a thread about the lawsuit earlier today, didn't know they were going to just cut them off. Figures though, bring a 100Million+ lawsuit and expect more work-I dont think so!

3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    ..activision has not said anything about this... suggest you change your title

4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    activision hasn't said anything at this point but this is almost inevitable now,

infinity ward is doomed

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    IW did it to themselves due to being a bunch of greedy bastards, want to bet most of those behind #2 werent part of the original team.

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Just another example of publishers bullying developers. I'm glad they sued their parent company (to make the bullying public) but they had to know this was coming.

Here's info on the lawsuit:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...on-Slapped-With-Another-Infinity-Ward-Lawsuit

Most of the Infinity Ward developers moved to Respawn Entertainment.

In short, Modern Warfare 3 is likely to be nothing like Modern Warfare 2 and the franchise is effectively over at Modern Warfare 3. The true successor to Modern Warfare may emerge from Respawn Entertainment.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i loled, teach them a lesson release a shittastic game, HAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAH good

8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I imagine a lot of people are going to be watching what comes out of Respawn over the next couple years—I know I will, and I'd be happy to buy games from good devs who have already gotten jipped enough out of what they earned.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    All I want to know is, who's idea was it to put IWnet on PC? If it was IW, I won't miss them, if activision bullied them into it, I'll be keeping an eye on Respawn.

10. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I'd have to guess Activision, but who knows for sure? Maybe it'll come out eventually (in a way we can believe....).

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yes, my money is on Activision. Ubisoft did the same with "UPlay," THQ is piggybacking on Steam, and EA has "EA Download Manager." They (publishers) are all making excuses to invade your computer.

Think about it, IWnet is basically what Ubisoft is doing now with their DRM but just in the multiplayer sense. They make all hosting be on their servers so they can weed out the illegals. XD

Was it Infinity Ward's or Activision's idea? I doubt we'll ever know but, consider this: tensions between Activision and Infinity Ward may have been bad towards the end of Modern Warfare 2 developement. Activision could have stuck Infinity Ward's name on that software in case the shit hit the fan--Infinity Ward would go down and Activision would not.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I'd put money on IW for IW.net..Activision pressured them to cut cost and stop hackers much like BFBC2..and IW came up IW.net not Activison...Unless Respawn comes out and says Game servers for everybody (imagine Oprah's voice) Than i prolly wont even look at them..

Think about IW.net & EA DRMs nice fit as far as they are concerned..I don't think any good will come of it...Good games sure..but with horrible DRMs

13. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I havent heard one mention of the devil yet... I mean Bobby Kotick. I see people saying it's IW's fault, and I never ever been a fan of IW games, but they were in the right here. Bobby Kotick just wants to milk a series for all its worth then move onto something else. And he was milking this, but it wasn't enough, so he canned some guys that helped flat out create the series as he owed them too much money. Doing something like that is going to have repercussions, I'm not sure if he just expected IW to lay down and take it, or the guys who were fired to just roll over and die. Either way, he honestly started this shit storm, and with 2 of the co-creators being fired was the first step. But it's most likely best this way as the series was just getting run aground, maybe the revival of whats left from IW will actually bring a great game to the market.

But I still don't see why Kotick hasn't been canned, he's introduced a ton of items into World of Warcraft that are bought items, that game never had ingame items for sale before really, and now it has quite a bit. He's going to run Blizzards good name right into the ground just like he did with IW and it makes me sad, D3 doesn't even interest me that much anymore.

14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    He's just another nearsighted, do-anything-for-the-investors sort just like the rest of them. The game industry was founded on entertainment (the people that made the games got just as much enjoyment out of it as those playing it); today it runs on greed with those that enjoy creating games having no say whatsoever.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    blkhogan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    The game industry was founded on making money selling entertainment (by the very nature of it being an "industry"). I can believe that some game devs really do love what they do, but greed to some degree enters into it the moment they start planning to sell copies. It's their choice whether or not they develop games for the "evil publishers." If they didn't want the money or felt they had "no say whatsoever," they wouldn't.

And publishers aren't necessarily so evil: they're simply running a business. I'm not saying we should cut them slack; I'm saying just see them for what they are. They're generally going to sell each game in whatever way profits them most, and realistically, that involves more considerations than just how "fun" the game is.

Greed is everywhere, as are people with good intentions. Idolizing game devs and demonizing publishers is just sensationalism.

I imagine we'll hear more of that regarding Respawn and EA in the future though.

16. Spamhawk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh well, I assume the call of duty series is dead then. Maybe not in name, But that's not what makes call of duty.
    Modern warfare 3 or whatever it's going to be called will probably still sell like hotcakes thanks to all the people who don't follow the industry.
    But I won't be buying it. I await with bated breath what comes out of Respawn entertainment, let's hope it's something good.

17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Ask Will Wright, Sid Meier, John Carmack, John Romero, and Shigeru Miyamoto why they got into the game-making business. I doubt money will be the first word out of any of their mouths. Money only comes first when your CEO types from Wall Street enter the picture and try to milk the cash cow for all its worth--killing it, if need be. I can't even name all the game studios that have came and went. Here's a start though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Studios_and_subsidiaries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision#Studios
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard#Studios
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft#Studios
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidos_Interactive#Studios
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THQ#Subsidiaries

About the only two decent publishers/developers left are Bethesda Softworks and Valve Software. The rest of the developers have been eaten up and spit out by at least one publisher losing their identity to a corporate monster (reminds me of Prototype, made by Radical Entertainment which is now a wholy owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard).

blkhogan and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i disagree. its likely to be exactly the same.

They're gunna milk this series for all its worth, and that means not changing much in the sequels.

19. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it too. That doesn't mean it isn't on their minds, though.

20. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Its about priorities. Money comes before everything else for the greedy and it comes last for the benevolent. It is on everyone's mind to some degree because modern society is structured on it.

Depends on if "creative freedom" was on their list for reasons to leave. Developers hate making the same thing over and over because it gets boring. Publishers love it though because it almost guarentees a steady income--little risk.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Which is exactly what I was getting at in my previous post—so I do agree.

22. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    When it Comes to MW2 I really think everyone is giving the DEVS to much credit and blasting Activision...

I honestly believe that it was the DEVS that thought IW.net is great and were like people will want it they'll see it's way better than Game Servers...Yes I do believe that..I think some egos got a little to big with the success of MW1

eidairaman1 and TIGR say thanks.
  23. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    TIGR says thanks.
  24. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: @ a comment on that story:

"Early reports suggest that Bungie were welcomed into their new office, shortly before the doors were locked behind them, barred, welded shut, bricked over, buried in concrete, and guarded by Graug the Almighty Dragon, Activision's new chief of security.

This time, no one gets out."

25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU