1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Additional Advice on New Build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Solution, May 18, 2012.

1. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been looking for a build that will suit my demanding gaming needs and quite abit of Rendering and High-Poly modelling on the side.
    After abit of scouring i got this.
    Looking for some input and possible recommendations towards changes to current parts and some peripherals, mainly a mouse, keyboard and monitor.
    Need some reassurance as to
    1. Changing the CPU into a i7 3770k purely for rendering and modelling purposes
    2. Changing from Crucial M4 to a OCZ Vertex 4. Is it worth the price difference?
    3. Upgrading RAM, maybe 16gb?
    4. Fan Choices? Ive been looking at the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Current total price is around 1700s. Budget is around 1700-1800

CPU - i5 3570k
    Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 - V Motherboard
    PSU - Corsair TX - 750w V2 Series
    SSD - Crucial M4 128gb
    GPU - Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz (2x4GB) DDR3
    CASE - NZXT Switch 810 Case White -
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Inside Case -
    [​IMG]
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have herd that Nvidia cards do better than AMD cards with the rendering but I dunno maybe someone with 3d modeling can chime in but the reset of the build looks nice!
    Solution says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    1. Changing the CPU into a i7 3770k purely for rendering and modelling purposes
    If you just render just pictures the i5 is enough, maybe only seconds in difference with the i7, It's mostly GPU dependent.

however if you are rendering 3D animations that would take hours to render that seconds would pile up into noticable difference so you might want to look into the i7.

2. Changing from Crucial M4 to a OCZ Vertex 4. Is it worth the price difference?
    No, too big of a price difference to justify the slight performance increase. go with the M4

3. Upgrading RAM, maybe 16gb?
    8GB is more than enough, however if you think you're gonna do ALOT of multitasking, you might wanna go with 16GB, you could also use the spare ram for ramdisk for super fast access to data.

4. Fan Choices? Ive been looking at the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
    I would recommend a closed loop watercooling system like Corsair H Series
    Solution says thanks.
  4. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    with only another $100 to play with, id look into grabbing the 3770k. The extra threads will definitely help you with your modelling.

I don't know what other changes you could fit in with your current build price and max budget.

In terms of air cooling for your CPU, depends how heavily you wish to Overclock and how much you want to spend on the cooler. If your nuts about your overclock, then probably look at something like the Noctua D-14. In most reviews its the highest performing Air cooling unit out.

In terms of keyboard/mouse. I think its your personal preference. Ive been using a Razer Lachesis as my mouse, lasted 3 years so far, doesn't look like its gonna give up any time soon. For a keyboard its your choice, if you prefer mechanical, then I'm pretty sold on the new corsair keyboard editions.

In terms of a monitor you have a wide variety of options, if your into 3D gaming that really limits your choices, and also screen size / resolution. If your pretty set on 1080p then you could probably pick anything from any of the leading brands and not see much of a difference in my opinion. If your looking for something that will last a long time, and built to last, something like the Dell 27" 1440p monitors are amazing, carries a hefty price tag though. If you want a 1440p monitor for barely any were near the Dell, check out Catleap 27" 1440p. Its a Korean brand that has 27" IPS monitor "similar" to that of the Dell, obviously the price difference shows in things like warrenty, but it seems most people who buy they don't have many if not no issues with the monitors themselves. If your interested there is a large forum thread on http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club . Its very extensive and has a lot of good info.
    Solution says thanks.
  5. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    Decided to get a i7 3770k for said purposes, possibly a H80 or H100 for some overclocking don't want to play with a massive DH-14 heatsink inside the case, makes me feel like the whole motherboard is going to snap off, planning to stay with 8gb ram until upgrade is required and i am staying with the Crucial M4.

Can't decide between these two monitors
    -
    ASUS VS239H 23" Full HD Widescreen LED - IPS - 1920 x 1080 Resolution
    14ms Response Time - Around $178
    -----
    ASUS VS248H 24" Full HD Widescreen LED - 1920 x 1080 Resolution -
    2ms Response Time - Around $229
    -
  6. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I am building a machine in the same case :)

I would say that the best way to spend the extra hundred is for a 3770K over the i5. They can be had for just $280 at Microcenter, which is a steal!
    Solution says thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to be working with rendered media, I would take the i7 if you're budget allows for it. I went with the 3820 for video encoding, gaming, and virtualization and it has been worth every penny, so if you have some pretty CPU heavy renderings you're going to be doing, take the i7, you'll benefit from the extra threads. 16Gb is debatable, how much are you using now?
    Solution says thanks.
  8. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently on a 4gb RAM build. i7 3770k is set in stone now, any further recommendations on a different fan or a lower watt PSU (Maybe a 650?)

Ive also been thinking of getting a Steelseries Sensei or Saitek R.A.T Mouse.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Do you run out? If you do, go with 16gb, if you don't or seldomly do, go with 8gb, but if you go with 8gb, make sure it's only 2 sticks so you can upgrade later if you need to. This is bound to be a nice build. :cool:. The only thing I would recommend is faster memory, but don't brake your back over very new DDR3, like 2400Mhz+. I've been happy with my quad-channel 16-gb set, it was only ~150USD for G.Skill Ripjawz DDR3-17000, 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28.

Here they are, I'm using this: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DD...
    Newegg is saying 140USD, which is better than what I paid for it.
    Solution says thanks.
  10. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for the 24" if you don't mind spending a little more money. I would of offered to go for the H100 if I realised you were looking into a closed loop WC system for your CPU. You said "Fan" so I thought you were only looking at air cooling.

Definitely go with a H100 or H80. With good fans it will be nice and quiet / allow for some good overclocking.
    Solution says thanks.
  11. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    I occasionally run out when i'm multitasking some heavy programs other then that i don't think so, I plan on staying at a 1600mhz 8gb for now, might update to a 2133 in the future.

Hoping to go for a H100 but for its price would it be better to get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO?

I also plan on changing the GPU from a 7970 ASUS to a Gigabyte Geforce 670 as some benchmarks have placed it better (+ its cheaper).
  12. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its really up to you. I personally could justify the price, I love the aesthetic value it brings, along with the cooling performance that allows me to get a 4.8GHz Overclock easily on my 2600k. If you don't mind using air cooling and are not looking to overclock then go for the CoolerMaster Evo 212. For 2 years I used a CM V6 and when I decided to go for closed loop water cooling I never thought twice about the money I spent on it.

And yes, the GTX670 is the smarter choice when gaming on a single monitor compared to the HD7970. Price to Performance ratio is much better on the GTX670.
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  14. MangoTangoFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go with the ASUS GTX 670. It is an incredible card, and got the FIRST 10/10 from TechPowerup.com
    It beats the 7970 on almost every test, looks bad ass, and costs a good bit less! http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/28.html

Edit: Didn't see that you were already planning on this... :/
    But DEFINITELY got with the ASUS. The thing is incredible, especially the fan and OC ability.
    24db idle and 25db load!
    76C at full load (OC'd)
    10.6% performance increase when OC'd
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  15. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    1. If you're doing rendering it is definitely worth it.
    2. Not really.
    3. If you're doing rendering it is definitely worth it.
    4. The Hyper 212 is excellent.
  16. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    7970 is a very powerful card ,,this round however i think gtx670 is a bit better, just got it, after enjoying 5850 for 2.5 years. the popular gigabyte's windforce model is amazing
    another thing i have to mention is the desperate urge to have more SSD space, 111gbs in my possession is just not enough
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quote - Huddo93 -

I've always liked how the H100 looked when assembled with a CPU, it also adds to the look of the 810 Case :laugh:

I dislike using multiple monitors for gaming, i just don't find that urge in me to want it.
    670 is looking better and better.

Quote - JrRacinFan -

Are there any major differences? Plus i wanted to unlock my CPU later on.
    Quote - MangoTangoFox -

Yep the 670 cards are looking alot better when i found that it runs superb on a single monitor. Definitely enticed about getting the 670 Windforce, I've heard that it runs well with barely any sound. I haven't read to much about the ASUS Direct CU II card, i should read into it soon.

Quote - Xenocide -

Definitely doing quite a lot of rendering, I'll probably stick with 8gb RAM and see how it goes.

Quote - Bravesoul -

Mhm, I've been reading up about the 670 and its sound and performance - It definitely seems like the card to go for my single monitor situation.
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  18. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Unlock your cpu? What you mean? And yes, 2 big differences, quad channel ram+ability to have 8 dimms of ram.
  19. Solution New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah sorry i meant i wanted an unlocked CPU so that i can overclock it.
    Isn't my normal 8gb or 16gb dual channel enough for a mild to high multitasking and rendering?
  20. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    The 3820 is overclockable. Wouldn't it be nice to have 16GB to 32GB+ quad channel though to assist in that multitasking/multithreaded environment. :)
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Be careful with your wording. A locked SB chip won't overclock very well where a SB-E has a flexible BCLK and its pretty easy to hit 4.5ghz+ with the 3820. The CPU hits 4.625Ghz just by bumping the CPU strap to 125Mhz and bumping some voltages, not including that there are still a number of multi bins that haven't even been touched. Dumo has hit 166 bclk on his 3820, but I'm not sure if it was stable at all.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    ----- ASUS VS248H 24" Full HD
    Widescreen LED - 1920 x 1080
    Resolution -
    2ms Response Time - Around $
    thats nice especially for respond time. it would looks better in gaming or high framerate
    16 gig memory is nice especially for multi tasking. for ram bigger is better
  23. MangoTangoFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea what you are talking about with the 7970 being better at multiple monitors...
    LOOK AT THE BENCHMARKS from the link I provided earlier!
    3 1080P Monitors:
    Battlefield 3 - 670 leads by 6 fps
    COD 4 - 670 leads by 24.1 fps
    Arkham City - 670 leads by 3.7 fps
    And it beat the 7970 in EVERY BENCHMARK, single monitor, and triple monitor.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason for you to even consider getting the 7970, unless you are a diehard AMD Fan-boy.

Also,
    No EVGA, No MSi, No Gigabyte, JUST THE ASUS! Seriously...
  24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's with out of the box settings. I personally like AMD for the image quality with the right settings. The 7970 is also a beast of an over-clocker. I've also never had an ATi/AMD chip die on me, however I have lost a 7900 GT in the past, so for reliability from my own experience makes me lean towards AMD. So don't go bringing up this AMD Fanboy crap just because someone prefers one manufacturer over another.

My MSI 6870s are working just fine, thank you.
  25. MangoTangoFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy. I like the brand that does best, in each specific case, which for the 670's, happens to be ASUS. While before I decided to get the 670's, I was planning on the MSI R7850, either the regular twin frozr version, or the brand new Power Edition model, if it turns out as good or better than the original.