• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice for my first build

System Name Tingle
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16 GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB + WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2515H + Eizo FlexScan S2231W
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum Series 660W v2
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hello good people of TPU!
The time has finally come for me to upgrade my now 7 years old computer, and I'm excited for it. This will be the first PC I'm going to assemble myself, and I've spent the last ~9 months trying to get to know the basics about it.
I've assembled a build myself now, and would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on it. Please note that I want to use the PC summer, so unfortunately I can't wait for Skylake, Radeon Fury etc.
Also, I want to order the parts preferably before June 26th, since then will get a 50 euros cashback on the CPU + motherboard.
In assembling the PC I went for a generally fast build that should last me a long time before I need to upgrade again. I will also use the PC for gaming at 1440p.
I already have keyboard and mouse and will be keeping my current monitor as second monitor.
Anyway; here is the build:
  • Case*: be quiet! Silent Base 800 Black
It got a great review here on TPU, and I really like its looks. Alternatively, I could go for the Fractal Design R5 Black, which is a little bit more compact, and also got a great review here.
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Not that expensive, but still has a lot to offer. The great onboard sound is what really drove me to this motherboard though.
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k
This seems to be the only processor in its class. Nice high performance, and like I said, there isn't really an alternative. The i5-4690k is a lot slower in benchmarks, and the X99 platform is just a lot more expensive (especially the motherboards and RAM).
  • Processor cooler*: Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition
I wanted to go for the Cryorig H7 originally, but sadly they don't sell that one in the shop where I want to buy. That said, all reviews say that this coller is extremely quiet while still doing a good job colling the processor. I probably won't be doing anything too extreme in terms of overclocking, so it should be perfect for my needs. Alternatively, the be quiet! Pure Rock seems to be a bit louder and seems to run a little bit hotter, but is a bit cheaper as well. Also, I don't think memory clearance is a problem with me, since the RAM I selected isn't very high.
  • RAM*: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9
I have read a lot about different latency and MHz, but the differences seem to be negligible. This is the cheapest kit of 16GB available, and I think it would suit my needs nicely. Around the same price (and I mean within a range of 2-3 euros) are the Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866 CL10 and Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1600 CL10. Also, for just ~13 euros more (~117 vs ~104) I can get the
Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3-2400 CL11. All of these still don't have high heatsinks. Do you think it would be worth it to go for the 2400Mhz kit? Are the other two Kingston alternatives better? Please let me know!
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
This will be for the OS and programs, and maybe some games I play frequently. This drive is actually the cheapest SSD here, except the Crucial BX100. So this is basically a no-brainer.
  • HDD: Western Digital Red 1 TB
The reason I went for this drive instead of, say, the WD Black, Blue, Green, or the Seagate Barracuda, is that this drive is extremely silent, efficient, and, most importantly, it has 3 years of warranty. I was actually persuaded by a friend to go for this one, after he had his 2nd Seagate fail within 1.5 years. Of course, I know that this I probably just bad luck for him, but I have found that you are always easily persuaded by people you know IRL :p. Anyway, when I went looking for reviews, I found that this is actually a drive I wouldn't mind getting.
  • Backup drive: Seagate Expansion Portable 1 TB
For backing up my files on the HDD. I will probably use some discs to backup Windows (or is it possible to do that on this drive as well? I will probably have some space left over, since I won't back up the games I have installed, which is 250+ GB).
  • Optical drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST
Will mainly be used for putting CDs on my iPod. I picked out something that wasn't expensive and had a nice looking front cover ;).
  • Power supply: Seasonic Platinum Series 660W v2
Every build advice I look at, the most important thing people keep hammering on is the power supply. That is how I ended up with this. Sure it's expensive, and believe me, I've looked at alternatives. I spent many a night looking at this table (http://nl.hardware.info/vergelijkin...060-187786-234991-170778-275000-242249-115527), but every time I couldn't justify NOT getting this PSU. Superior stability and efficiency, while remaining super quiet in idle and still quiet during load. I don't mind paying a little extra money for that.
  • Video card*: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 - Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB
Pretty quickly I concluded the GTX 980 had to be my card: looking at reviews it should serve me well at 1440p for a long time. The GTX 980 Ti is not worth the extra money for me, and the GTX 970 is not quite enough for 1440p. The R9 300 series doesn't interest me (just look at W1zzard's review today), so only Fiji might be interesting, but sadly that is not gonna release on time.
So then I still needed to figure out what brand I was gonna pick. I landed on the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 for now, but that decision isn't final. Prices are fluctuating pretty badly right now, so I will pick one of the following depending on their prices on the day I purchase everything:

MSI Geforce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB: around 10 euros cheaper right now
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4GB: aroung 25 euros cheaper right now, but a little too loud for me
ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix OC 4GB: about 3 euros more expensive, so it will definitely need to get more expensive for me to consider it
Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super JetStream 4GB: around 7 euros cheaper right now, apparently very quiet and a little faster, it's just that I don't know how reliable this brand is
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB: this is just a little faster than the SC one right? Anyway, it's only 8 euros faster, so I was wondering if that's worth it.
  • Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2515H
I was looking at different 1440p monitors, and quickly noticed that if I wanted 144Hz, I would be spending a lot of money, while also getting a TN panel. Of course, the Acer IPS 144Hz monitor seemed perfect (although it was 800 euros) but I heard a lot of bad stories about dead pixels and IPS glow. Furthermore, I don't like Acer's policy on bright pixels. So I decided pretty quickly I was gonna go for a nice IPS display with reasonable response times. However, a lot of those were pretty expensive too. Until... I came upon the U2515H. It really is the perfect monitor for me: 27 inch is just a tad big for me, and it is really cheap for the quality you're getting. Also, Dell has a 'zero bright pixel' policy on their UltraSharp line up.
I can get this for free via Dreamspark for being a student :rockout:.

--

The parts with a * are the ones I would really like some feedback on, specifically, whether you would rather go for any of the alternatives I mentioned (especially the video cards). Also, my budget isn't extremely tight, so feel free to suggest something a little bit more expensive (although I would like to keep the price as low as possible of course :p).

Thanks in advance!!

System Name S.A.S
Processor i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Wifi ac
Cooling Enermax liqtech 120x
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Strix
Storage Corsair Force GS 120 GB / Seagate Barracuda 1Tb
Display(s) LG W2286L 22 Inch
Case Green X5 Fusion
Power Supply Green GP1000B-OC
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores X5638
here my suggestions
GPU : MSI GTX 980 Gaming
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 1600 .
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB ( Better Performance and Read/Write Speed )

Good Luck

System Name Trashbox Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH
Memory G.Skill 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming R9 280x 6GB (2x)
Storage Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Corsair AX 850
Case is a bit big for your needs, I'd go with FT05 since its around the prices you selected. Since you have air cooling, this case is much better since the two fans that come with it are baller and hot air will be exhausted out the top.

Pros:
• room for 2x3.5" and 2x2.5" drives
• vertical design provides high thermal efficiency, especially for air cooling.
• room for 1 slim ODD
• vertical design insures graphic cards will not sag and bend

Cons:
•50/60$ more? (no window/window)

XSI

System Name Mother PC/XSI PC/ Laptop
Processor I3 6100 Skylake@3.7/Intel Core2Duo E8400@3.0-3.7Ghz/Amd sempron 2100+
Motherboard B150M MSI Night ELF/ASUS P5Q PRO P45/
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212/ X 2
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB DDR4@2133 Dual channel /Adata 2x2 GB DDR2@800 dual channel/ 2,5GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce 950GTX/MSI 8800GT OC Zilent edition@660/1650/950 / ATI Radeon x1250
Storage 1pc:240GB SSD Kingston HyperX Fury/2PC:Intel 330 SSD 60GB/Samsung 500 GB/Samsung 320GB/80 GB
Display(s) LG 22MP58VQ 1920x1080/ Samsung 2232BW - 22" 1680X1050 and LG Full HDTV 50" / 15" 1280x800
Case Deepcool Tesseract Red/ Modded no name case
Audio Device(s) Realtec 1150/Creative X-FI, Xtreme Gamer + Samsung 5.1 HT + additional 4 speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply EVGA 500B Bronze 80+/ Chieftek 650W 80+.
Mouse Cheapo 5$ mouse/ trackpad :)
Keyboard Some cheap 10$
Software Windows 10/Win 10/ Win 8.1
Benchmark Scores later :)
i would go 2 x 970 in sli over one 980 for 1440p .price difference is not too big.
and 4690k is in line with 4790k. only synthetic benchmarks which use hyperthreading shows bigger numbers. in most games 0-3 fps difference. so keep this cpu in mind too.​

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Wait for skylake, might be more interesting than haswell. Also there's a good change 980 prices will be dropping off a little.

WD Reds are no less noisy than blues. Have a rig with a 1TB blue and a pair of 3TB reds and I can hear them all spinning up. I would honestly go with a 3TB red, it's cheap and big, you'd be surprised at how quickly you'll fill it up..

If you are sticking with DDR3, consider 1866MHz kits.

Processor Intel Pentium G3258
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE
Cooling Corsair H60 + x1 Noctua NF 12
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual X R9 280
Storage Western Digital Blue 1TB
Display(s) Acer K222HQL 21.5 inch 1080p Monitor
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Silverstone STT Strider 650W 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply
Software Windows 8.1 x64-bit
You can go with whatever case it's all down to preference you can't really go wrong with either choice but it's just that I wouldn't want a Mid tower that tall.
You only need 8GB of RAM for gaming 1600mhz is fine getting faster RAM doesn't make a difference,
You don't need an i7 for gaming only if you plan to run other editing software,etc, for gaming that HT and other i7 feautres makes no difference from the i5 you wouldn't see a difference in performance on a card like the 980
OCing does give you a boost and helps a lot so I would recommend it and maybe getting a watercooler
If you are going for platinum PSU which isn't really necessary but will give you top of line efficiency I would at least get a higher wattage so that you don't yourself needing more power(maybe 700W-850W) if you go the SLI route or go with a higher wattage card and having to waste an excellent PSU, so that you can future proof yourself I shouldn't ever need to upgrade it for a couple of years.
Other than that it's a good build or you can just wait for Skylake and the Fury(non X)