1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice needed - SSD suggestions and HDD questions (two fold post)

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Hellfire, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Hi there, I have a two fold question, Firstly one is a HDD I have running windows 7 isn't playing up but I am worried it may do.

I'm using a 300gb Sata drive pulled out of a satellite box, model number (WDC WD3000JS) Obviously a Western Digital drive) I am using it as I fitted a larger drive in my Sky Box

Now I understand the health of this drive may be affected due to what it was used for. it has a high power on count @ 3225 count with 14512 hours of usage, hours usage isn't TOO bad as my current Hitachi drive (less than a month old) has 781 hours but only 44count power on. and reads fine.

Anyway the WD gets a "caution" health status and CrystalDisk highlights these as the problems, can anyone help me understand and if possible resolve these (I will be installing XP on this Disk for a dual boot (different drive for windows 7 (going SSD) )

problems with drive

ID/Current/Worst/Threshold/Raw Values/Attribute Name/
    C5 / 200 / 198 / __0 / 000000000015 / Current Pending Sector Count
    C6 / 200 / 200 / __0 / 000000000004 / Uncorrectable Sector Count

Any way to "correct" these issues? Cheers!!!!

The second issue is. well I want to play older games, some which refuse to work on Win7 so I will dual boot with a copy of XP, however I want to use different drives. so I've got some spare cash, I do not see the point in buying a HDD so I'm thinking of going with a SSD for it.

I would love some help in suggesting a good place to buy, (I am UK based) and a good brand/model to go with for SSD, I am not wanting a massive drive, my "apps" or program files folders (both 32/64bit) I'll probably keep installed on my HDD (1TB drive) but I understand just having the OS on the SSD can improve speeds considerably. or would you recommend a larger drive to have program files on as well?

I noticed 2.5inch drives seem cheaper than 3.5inch, So I managed to clear some debts (woohoo) and have some spare cash, so can someone give me some idea of a good drive and prices, (cheaper the better) but not lacking on quality. cheers!!

2. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    1. the disk have 15 sectors that is marked for remapping, meaning the drive failed to read them.
    2. the disk have 4 sectors that are perma-banned due to damages.

3. put all the programs on the SSD too, even a 30GB one should be enough, but just.

Hellfire says thanks.
  3. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it, I'm currently using 112gig of installed files on my current HDD in programs alone, lol but any suggestions on good brands/models will be appreciated, I think I'll go for a 100-200gb drive (somewhere in between)

regarding 1/2 I assume, 1 I can do something about (Involves a format I suspect) 2 I guess is permanent. which is fine by me.