1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

advice on a new headset..............

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DEFEATEST, Dec 3, 2008.

1. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys! Might ask for or get a new gaming headset for the xmas time. I am now using my trusty Zalman ZM-RS6F+M Real Surround Sound 5.1 Headphones "Theatre 6" And I do really like the sound quality the have, but they are rather bulky and can get hot and lots of wires coming from them and it has a kinda stick on mic that is a pain. Any suggestions on a new set that would be equal in sound quality (or better) but have more qualities for a gamer? No usb as I have an xfi card. Price doesnt really mater I guess. Thanks!

2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
  3. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that, but are they usb only?

they look yummy~!

4. -mStat- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is question for you, what is your budget on these headphones? Are you partial to using a good "Audiophiles" pair of headphones that will give you superior bass, promenant Highs and distiguishable lows.

I personally use(d) a pair of:
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones
    Audio-Technica ATH-A700
    M-Audio Q40 Studiophile Dynamic Headphones

If you want to make the jump from headphones to HEADPHONES, Then either of these are a good place to start. All of them make great products, both amazing for gaming and for listening to music. Since you said you have an X-Fi soundcard, it should be more then enough to power the drivers on any of these headphones. (Higher Ω impedence requires more power) Any Microphone can be easily replaced my a desktop stand microphone, most of which have noise cancelling properties.

My 2 cents

5. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Those are all sweet headphones, but I do want something with a built in mic. I dont mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a set. I would love to hear those tho!:)

6. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:

Another vote for Sennheiser, great sound quality, high quality materials, very very durable and many parts are replaceable in the unlikely event that something does break.

Have a look at the Sennheiser PC350 for a non-USB type.

7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Wires suck ass

[​IMG]
    http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=009925

Been wireless for over a year now and I'm never going back. I only have to place them on the charger maybe an hour every other day. No more cables in my chair, no more pulling my pc off the desk. I can walk out side and keep jamming.

I really don't see the down side in them.

Then get a blue tooth mic for your shirt:)

or your desk which ever floats your boat:)

8. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    This is what I use as a sound card. Via USB, I just have my cables on my desk next to it. If I want quite speakers I have a plug for that, and if I want load speakers I have one for that.

99% of the time it's head phones and the X-mod is awesome when headphones.

[​IMG]

Went from one of the most expensive creative sounds cards to this. If it had the mixer program like the cards did. Well this would be a slam dunk. It's good that media player has one for movies and music:p

But it would still would good.

Has X-fi CMSS-3D
    Wonders like wonders
    and has X-Fi Crystalizer.
    Which works like wonders on games and music. I always turn it off during movies tho.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=15913

For only 25 dollars you can't go wrong with it.

Edit: O yea, you can use a mic on it at the same time:)

9. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Using the EAX and front panel output, my X-fi sounds better than the three 5.1 headsets I have owned, hands down.

10. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    but what headset are you using ?

11. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

[​IMG]

12. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
  13. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Those look mighty comfy...

14. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Imma be getting paid on Friday so I might buy these and use my barracudas at my friends house

15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    might i recommend in-ears for comfortability, and a hidden mic on your computer? you cant do better than that, im fairly convinced that all of those bulky headphones are senseless (except for maybe the surround headphones, never tried them) in the end, i spend about $100 or so on some high end in-ear(canal) headphones, and have a hidden mic that you cant even see around the computer, very neat, works perfectly.
    Sennheiser is the best place to start, ive purchased sennheiser CX-400s twice, once when they were $120, again last week when the others got stolen, for $50, since the CX-500 came out and they have lessened. TPUs own Frederick S (the guy who has reveiwed all the headphones for the site(hundreds of them)) recommends them. try them out, you wont ever look back at those bulky blasphemous gargantuans.

16. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I can't stand in ear LOL

I like the big ones because I can pull one of my ear and it still feels normal. + the bass and everything is just better. True the upper end ones do some better, but not as good IMO. + they make my ears bleed with pain.

17. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    The ones I linked are not USB, they do have an adapter for usb available though. :)