• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

advice on an i5/i7 HTPC system

I got great advice that I used on the last thread about which socket 1366 motherboard to choose, that I am needing more advice on a separate build. It is going to be an HTPC that would browse the internet, stream music/movies, watch blu ray movies, listen to music, play newer games on a 55" HDTV, and of course fold/ crunch. I have purchased some stuff already and have my mind made up on the case as well. I need help in determining if a standard size psu will fit in that case i have chosen or will I have to get the full size version of the case ?? I am also looking for advice on the choices on the CPU/ Motherboard. I know a quad core is a bit overkill, but I need it for the newer games and also to crunch! I am also stumped on a good socket 1156 cpu cooler for an htpc. The parts are listed below for reference.

case: Antec fusion black ( am buying soon, though there is an atx version available if I need to go normal size ATX) http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=CA-FUSIOBL&c=cashback

processor : i7 or i5 - might go and buy the core i5 760 at microcenter for $170 in a few days

Motherboard: Probably looking for a socket 1156 based on the processor. Ideally looking for a micro atx mb with one or 2 pci 16x lanes and at least one pci and one pci 1X as well.

HDD: Have a 32GB OCZ SSD already and will buy a 1TB drive when I find one for about $55 .

GPU: Galaxy GTX460 768MB ( on the way) I might need a single slot nvidia gpu for physix and folding as well

sound card: Creative X fi elite pro (have)

PSU: I will be using a 600W OCZ one I have if a standard ATX power supply will fit in the case I linked. If not, I need advice!!

RAM: 2X2GB DDR3 1600mhz CL7 RAM (have)

CPU COOLER: Need help here!! Need a socket 1156 cooler for an HTPC! looking for the best one for a decent price:slap:

The gray parts are already chosen/ordered/ or have

The light brown ones are ones I need help on. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: