1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice on CPU Cooler and VGA Cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Tedz, May 18, 2007.

1. Tedz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys,
    I am a long time reader..... I check this site 4 or 5 times and day and it is great, just a ton of information can be learned, but this is my first time posting so I thought I would introduce myself first

Anyway I am looking into getting a new cooler and for my VGA and my CPU
    here at my specs and what she does on stock coolers

CPU - 2.8 P4 Northwood at 3.4ghz
    MBoard - DFI Lan Party 875 Rev. B
    Memory - 2 x 512 Corsair XMS 3200 - 2.5/3/3/6 at 1:1 with CPU
    VGA - ATI x800 GTO with 16pipes unlocked - R430 Core

everything has stock coolers and I think it is time I get a little more out of this old beast

I was looking at the Scythe INFINITY for the CPU
    and then for the GPU maybe the ZALMAN VF900, I am not to familiar with GPU coolers but advice on both would be great... anways thanks in advance guys and nice meeting ya :toast:

2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    WELCOME TO TPU!
    Go ahead and post your specks in your user CP.
    As far as coolers,....It sounds like you want to overclock in your post.Good deal.
    I assume you want air cooling so here are my recommendations.
    CPU,...Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler or the 9700 Zalman http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Thermaltake/V1_cpucooler/1.php
    GPU,...If it will fit,...Arctic Cooler Silencer.Otherwise the VF900 will be good.

3. Tedz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks,
    Whats makes you say Thermaltake V1 or the 9700 Zalman over the Scythe?

Also I do not think the V1 fits socket 478 which is what I have

4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    scythe would work really nice, and the vf900 is perfect too. you picked the best there is basically.

5. Tedz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks kenny

also does anyone have any of there highest clock settings they have got with the x800gto with the 430 core seeing if i would be even worth it to change the stock cooling as I have heard the X800 GTO's with the 430 core do not overclock well

6. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    You will be happy with any of the 3. I have a windowed case and like the look of the 9700,plus it performs great.;)
    I did a little heat-paste mod that gained around 1.5c.Just fill the nooks and crannies around the heatpipes at the base.At that point, it is a killer cooler.What case ventilation do you have going?
    Let me know what you order.

Attached Files:

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you unlocked it yet? You probablly can, just take a screenshot of ATi tool under settings tab. Just hold Ctrl and click settings, take a screenie of the fuses numbers. There is a thread dedicated to this. Anyways, as far as overclocking, it sucks, you may get a little bit out of the core and a small amount more from the memory. Unlocking it , however will give a huge noticable difference over oc'ing anyway.

8. Tedz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya i have unlocked to 16 pipes already it came like that it says it in my settings of my ati tool
    here is a screenie of it

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. FujiwaraTakumi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Tedz. I've got an R430 X800GTO as well. I slapped a Zalman VF900 onto it. Idle temps lowered to 23-30C (depending on ambient temps) with a load of 38C. With stock cooling, I was getting 424/532 running ati tool artifact scan for an hour. I haven't tried to see what maxes I could get out my card since I switched. I'm willing to bet I can squeeze a couple more out of the core and memory. You might be able to get a bit more by bumping the voltage up a smidget as well.

10. Tedz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well guys just ordered my stuff today I got a little happy adding things to the cart and got a new mouse and pad

GPU COOLER ZALMAN|VF900 – CU RTL

CPU COOLER SCYTHE USA|SCINF-1000 RT

MOUSE PAD RAZER|EXACTMAT& EXACTREST

MS RAZER|DEATHADDER GAMING RT

I will post back with my new results hopefully it all goes well thanks for the advice all :rockout: