• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice On Mid-Range Laptop

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm currently doing a 1 year media course in college and with less than 2 months left I have completely given up doing work in college due to the slow as shit computers, outdated software and <0.8Mb internet that rarely works.

In September I'm hoping to do an Honors BSc in Computing but I don't think the computers there are much better so I'm considering investing in a laptop over the Summer but have little knowledge in whats out there at the moment.

With a budget of roughly €1,000, I'd like something that matches the performance of my PC. Dual core 3.2GHz Core-i3, 4GB DDR3-1600 and a Samsung F1 HDD. Is that possible?

I'm currently doing a 1 year media course in college and with less than 2 months left I have completely given up doing work in college due to the slow as shit computers, outdated software and <0.8Mb internet that rarely works.

In September I'm hoping to do an Honors BSc in Computing but I don't think the computers there are much better so I'm considering investing in a laptop over the Summer but have little knowledge in whats out there at the moment.

With a budget of roughly €1,000, I'd like something that matches the performance of my PC. Dual core 3.2GHz Core-i3, 4GB DDR3-1600 and a Samsung F1 HDD. Is that possible?

Should be. Depending on what you're looking at and what country you live in. CPU wise you're looking at an AMD A8 (45w mx series), or Intel i5 or i7. Unfortunatly due to the lower power envelope you won't be able to get quite as high CPU performance, but all three should be capable of doing nearly as well.
And unless you get the AMD A8, you're going to want to get at least a mid-range GPU for GPU-acceleration.
The RAM isn't hard, 4-8GB is standard, even in laptops.
HDD wise it's down to the manufacturer.