1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice on RAID 0 setup...

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Waldoinsc, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    I just order a Gigabyte K8VM800M microATX mobo for my AMD64 3700+ (754pin). I have only one WD SATA 80GB HDD installed (no RAID currently), but want to install a 2nd WD SATA 250GB HDD and setup a RAID 0 with them on the new mobo (btw, am also increasing RAM to Corsair XMS1024x2=2GB).

As I haven't used a RAID setup before, I was looking for a few pearls of wisdom on how to best go forward with this change, and hopefully make it as painless as possible.:twitch:

Thanks ahead of time
  2. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    you can do some reading here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks
    might i suggest that you get a 2nd WD SATA 80GB HDD for the raid array.. raid0 works best with 2 drives the same size.... you can use a PATA[250GB] drive for storrage of games and move the game you currently are playing to the array for the extra speed ...you can also keep all you vid/pics music ect on the pata dr ;;;or you could get a small pata[120/150GB] for your op sys and keep everything else on the raid.... that way if you crash the array your op sys stays intact ,,, i'm sure others will add their comments
  3. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, as cheap as an 80GB HDD is becoming, that might be the best bet, and put the 250GB in an external enclosure. This system is a Q-Pack case and only supports 2 HDD
  4. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    be aware of putting them into one raid because both were formated before u can start a raid
    but in fact a raid 0 will give u some extra performance (in addition to an normal ide disk, or one s-ata)
  5. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    :) :) your spec indicate you are only running 1 cd/dvd dr you could mount the PATA dr in the spare slot to have the data always on hand. BTW setting up Raid with via is easier if done when doing a freash install of windows and having the raid drivers on a floppy .. on the windows inatall you need to hit the 'F6' option at the very first so it will ask you to load the drivers you can then format & partion the array the way you want :rockout: :rockout:
  6. markkleb Guest

Is there anyway to return the mobo? My last comp was a Qpack with a Biostar Tforce mobo and 2 Hitachi sata2 80 gigs and it flew.
    If you need help or ideas let me know (i have picts of it)
  7. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Markkleb, I'll be sure to check in again. I may just do a fresh install on Windows with the new mobo (the mobo is enroute, so I'll just use it, since it had the most vesratility for the 754 pin I could find using Pricegrabber.com). I also have ordered a second SATA 80GB HDD to stripe with the installed 80GB, and probably install the 250GB in an external enclosure.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  8. markkleb Guest

Sorry i didnt see you were using 754..have fun and remember if you need tips just ask.
  9. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    uhhh, where did the drivers go???

OK, its a month later and I finally am attempting the RAID 0 array with new mobo and RAM, however, I forgot to copy the WD 80GB Caviar SE drivers to floppy before swapping the system around.....now Windows can't find the SATA HDD's to install. Anybody know where I can download a copy? (the HDD's are both OEM from NEWEGG and didn't come with an install disc, & I spent the last 2 hours on Western Digital's website trying to find some--:banghead: )
  10. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    the disk that came with your new MB should have the raid controler's drivers on it... if not try the maker of the controller/ or the MB they should have the drivers posted there