1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[ADVICE] Psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by imnick, Mar 17, 2014.

1. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,
    I know there are a lot of threads about PSUs, but I'd like to have a personal advic.
    So here's the problem, my previous psu (a sh***y brand) just blew up after a in-game crash (I had the same brand burning, but I managed to have it replaced thanks to warranty, a couple of years ago).
    I'd like to buy another one, but I don't want to spend a lot of money (since the pc is kind of overdated, and probably I won't make many upgrades, maybe a bit of OC). Here are my specs:
    Mobo Asus P5q-e
    Cpu Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Radeon HD4870 (1gb gddr5)
    Ram 4x2gb
    WD Caviar Blue 1tb hdd

According to extreme power psu calculator , I should go for a ~400W psu, but Ati suggets a min 500watt psu.
    Now, I would buy (in order of price):
    OCZ CoreXtream 500w
    Enermax ENP450 GT
    Enermax NAXN BASIC (500W)
    Corsair CX500
    OCZ 500MXSP ModXtream pro 500W.
    What do you think?
  2. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    I've had good luck with both OCZ & Enermax in the past (right now I'm using a Corsair). I'd go with the 500w too.
  3. satsol

Thanks Received:
    I would personally recommend EVGA's power supplies if they're available to you. 10 year warranty and solid performing supplies. They also have a 430w model which is pretty cheap, with the 500w only being about $10 more.
  4. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you guys.
    I went with Ocz modxstream pro.
    Evga is available to me, but the warranty is only 3 years and the price is almost the same as Ocz's
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You need to first understand that the problem is more likely to perpetuate unless you actually get a reliable brand/model of PSU to begin with.

Even were I a beginner, my first inclination if a PSU blew up and actually burned, would be to A) see if it had proper power (wattage/amperage) for the system spec, and B) go with another brand if it did.

So, while you ARE concerned about power spec on the PSU, the first concern should be going with a trust worthy brand, and I'm sorry but OCZ is not really one I'd recommend.

Warranties often mean nothing. You can get a 10 year warranty on a Hyundai, but a Toyota, despite having a MUCH shorter warranty will typically last much longer. Pay more attention to testimonials and recommendations from experienced builders than warranties.

Three years is a pretty common and average warranty for a PSU. What actually varies a lot and is NOT so common is good part spec and build quality. For instance Japanese vs Chinese capacitors.

I've read that OCZ's 400w ModxStream units are made by CWT, whom build good quality units like the HX series for Corsair, but Sirtec makes their 500w and 600w units, a company not known for quality PSUs.

OCZ also tend to use TRec capacitors a lot, which are Chinese made and not as reliable or long lasting as the Japanese ones. The average person could look at a simple review only showing and talking about neatness of part layout and soldering quality, but unless you really know what to look for, you can easily be fooled by a 5 vs 3 yr warranty.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    imnick says thanks.
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Corsair CX500.

EDIT: And you go with the worst one out of your choices....
  7. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    The previous one has worked fine for almost 4 years, and as far as wattage is concerned, I'm pretty sure it was ok (but I'm still trying to figure out what the problem was.. the previous one burned out with the pc in stand by and there had been no power overload, so I guess psu's malfunction).
    I am also aware of the fact that popular brand or longer warranty does not necessarily mean good quality, but still it's better than the Chinese-thing I used to have.
    In conclusion, I hope it will do its job fine for at least 2-3 years (hoping that other parts won't leave me).. after that I'll have to build a whole new system. I will definitely be more careful in choosing components then.

Tbh, I chose Corsair at the first time, but Amazon (or I) kinda messed up my order so I had to cancel it. When I reordered (guess what?) it wasn't available anymore :(
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Buy from Newegg?
  9. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't ship internationally.. I'm European
  10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it an OCZ unit that blew up on you? PSUs are not a component to pin your hopes and dreams on. Better to be safe than sorry. Many when specing a gaming rig pick out the PSU first.
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    been using a 600watt unit for 3 years now. never missed a beat. even had a light Crossfire setup in there it's been very very good

Read a little ;) ocz are generally very solid units. have a little more ripple than you'd like but still do the job well
  12. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, it was a TechSolo :)
  13. Misaki

Misaki

Thanks Received:
    I had OCZ StealthXStream II 500W and I can't say anything positive about this power supply:

-Short cables
    -Loud fan
    -In 2 years I sent it 3 times on warranty.
  14. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys make me wanna return it back.. I'll wait until Tuesday to make my own impression

Why so? Did you put it under stress or something?
  15. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Man it's fine!
    Not sure why everyone is trying to dissuade you once you've already bought it, Sure it's not as good as an Enermax but it isn't anything close to as bad as a HEC unit.

If you all love spending frivolous amounts of money on powersupplies thats great. This is a decent unit and a equally decent price. he hasn't got a very heavy system and isn't going to remotely stress this. so please drop your trolling please.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ModXStream-Pro-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/973/7

I've got a 600w unit. it is cool, quiet and stable period.
    imnick says thanks.
  16. Misaki

Misaki

Thanks Received:
    Can I suprise you? No, I used it as normal power supply. Topower TOP526P6 420W - this power supply I have for past 10 years and works fine.
  17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm not doubting your testimonial, it's just that I've read too many horror stories of when OCZ PSUs DO fail, and there's a lack of adequate support. So yes, I HAVE actually read about it.

I look at average user results like I do warranties, they don't paint the whole picture. I like to go with brands that have very solid rep on unit quality AND service if needed, and there Seasonic, Antec and Corsair are a notch above the others mentioned.

I'm not going to gamble my enthusiast gaming rig on a unit with Chinese caps and hit and miss support just to save a few pennies.
  18. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Caps are fine, cost is more like 20-30% higher. also look at his system. that's not even pulling 300watts...
  19. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I've run an OCZ 850w, 650w and 550w, in various different systems, and all of them performed fine. They might not be the cream of the crop, but for me they were perfectly amicable and reliable for 4 years. They are simply decent budget PSU's.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Bo$$ and imnick say thanks.
  20. imnick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then I'm afraid you've just been unlucky..it's wierd that 2 out of 2 units were faulty in less than 2 years.

It's ok man.. and I've actually read the review, which didn't seem so bad.

[QUOTE="Frag Maniac, post: 3082904, member: 89815"
    I'm not going to gamble my enthusiast gaming rig on a unit with Chinese caps and hit and miss support just to save a few pennies.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not an enthusiastic gamer, and my rig isn't that enthusiast. I mean, is it worth spending 2-3 times the value of the ocz for a pc built 4 years ago? (it was a low/mid-end rig then, now it must have 1/4 of that value).
    You suggest that I should have bought the Corsair cx500?
  21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Leave it you made an educated choice, i think some people haven't read your post properly and don't understand that midrange stuff works just fine. maybe they are loading 700watts on a 600watt PSU and expecting Golden performance. I really wonder why some of you bothered posting in the first place
    imnick and RCoon say thanks.