1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice required regarding digital camera's

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DanTheBanjoman, May 1, 2005.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I've been wanting a simple camera for a while. It seems I got me some cash in some mysterious way, so I'm looking for a camera, ofcourse I have a few wishes regarding that camera.

-I would prefer it to be rather small, so i can take it with me easily.
    -I don't have a huge budget, I'd say ~175 euro's.
    -A way to transfer photos to a compact flash reader (ie my gmini 400, will use it as imagetank), so either native compact flash or a small converter. Archos has an all in one converter though that one looks rather gigantic.
    -An internal accu is prefered over penlites
    -Obviously it needs to make decent photo's, knowing close to nothing about photografy (actually, just nothing) I can't define "decent"
    -Option to use as webcam is a +, though not too important
    -Recognized as mass storage device, I don't want to use crap programs/drivers

I have no clue about zoom (optical, digital, I figure optical is the lens and digital done by the camera's processor) nor do I know how important the megapixels are, I believe a cheap 6 MP would make worse photo's than a good 3 MP.
    Ofcourse I looked around a bit and saw some camera's. Canon powershots seem nice (w1z suggested the a85/90/95) I also saw the a400/510. They seem compact and cheap but have good reviews.
    I also saw various kodak, nikon, fuji and olympos models in my pricerange. (olympus is unknown to me) Are there any other brands/series/specific models that anyone could recommend? Some explaining about what to look for exactly is welcome too.
  2. ReconCX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the Canon S1 IS but the new S2 IS is coming out soon.... I'm gonna wait for that.

http://www.dcresource.com/ <= best place to do some research
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Well the S1/2 is beyond my budget, and overkill for my use. I just want to make some photo's for fun. Anyway I checked the cameralist and it seems most cameras there are quite expensive. It seems the a75 and a85 would be the closest to my needs.

The cheap A400 seems to be very well for it's price too, I could use the save money for a converter+larger card? http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a400-review/

Would I ever regret doing the latter? I read the whole faq thing and 3 MP seems enough for simple foto's. Perhaps I should go to a store and take some pictures using different settings. With an A400 and a A85 or A75.

I guess I'll have to do some more research either way.
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
  5. ReconCX New Member

Thanks Received:
    the A85 isn't bad. I used it during a friend's graduation but found the recharge cycle and focus to take a little too long...