1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice required

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by steviebee_uk, Nov 22, 2004.

1. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have recently purchased a aedeon 9800 se 256mb and I have a problem. When I power the machine on it doesnt power up at all. I have a 230 Volt power supply and my previous card (9200) did not need a connector from the PSU. Just wondering if my card is DOA or I need a bigger power supply?? Anyone got any ideas?
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you push the power button and nothing happens? what if you disconnect the power from the card? what if you remove the card?
  3. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The CPU fan starts to spin for about 1/2 second then stops! When I unplug the power to the Video card it starts up and gives a message on screen that I need to connect the card to the power supply. All is OK when I put my old card in (my old card doesnt need connected to the power supply!)
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'd say you need a new PSU

I've had a 9200se in my 2nd computer not long ago, it was passively cooled and didn't require additional power. Says enough about its powerconsumption. Then again the low powerconsumption = low clock = crap performance :) (clock != performance, i know) The 9800 runs at higher clocks and has more pipes requiring more power and ofcourse active cooling. It's all connected to eachother :) Get a new PSU :D
  5. Xalastin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey All,

I know for sure that you NEED a 300+ watt PSU to run this card. That is the min requirement. I only know this because I was looking into buying a 9800 card but decided to get a lower end card as cash is tight.

take care,
    Xalastin
  6. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help! My PSU is only 250 wat and I tried the card in a friends machine last night so I know it works OK! Will be purchasing a new PSU asap!
  7. craigsa New Member

Thanks Received:
    would definitely agree get a bigger power supply!!!

pc - amd +3400 64
    1gb ram
    ati x800 pro 256mg
    160gb sata hdd
  8. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a new 450 watt power supply replacing my 250 watt and it didn't make any difference. I am now thinking my Motherboard is incompatible with this kind of card! My AGP port supports 4x/8x and says 1.5V only - does this mean anything regarding my new card?
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So it boots when you don't connect the PSU to the card, but when you connect it the screen is totally blank?
    I'd say something is wrong with the videocard then, the card does work without the power, at least it does give the "connect the power" messege meaning its capable of giving image so the agp isn't the problem, the only thing you change is to power the videocard, it might have some bad components that don't like the extra power
    Or it detects the power but it never gets to the core/mem/whatever due to some damage component on the card.

SHort: I'd test the card in someone else's computer, if that doesn't work it's the card
  10. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The PC wont power up at all when I connect the card to the PSU. I did test the card on another machine and it was fine - there is definetly no problem with the card. I am really stumped by this!!!
  11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    What are the rest of your systems specs?
  12. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD XP 2800+
    512 SDRAM
    ASUS A7N8X-LA motherboard
    80 GB Hard Drive
    450 Watt Psu
    CD-Rw
    DRD-ROM
    Card Reader
    Radeon 9200 (Works ok)
  13. YohanN New Member

Thanks Received:
    1) disconnect all immediate unnecessary devices (DVD, CDs....)
    2) try different cables from PSU
  14. steviebee_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried and tried - Still not working :(
  15. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received: