1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

advises ssd or keep hdd??

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jormungand, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    advises ssd or keep hdd??

noob on ssd matter, still with my hdd as os.
    my rig is mainly for gaming and watching anime, films etc. no big deal with transcoding or even bechmarking.

so, i received for free a new 2tb seagate 7200rpm/64m Sata3/6gb/s and was wondering on selling it and grabbing a new ssd and like i said im kind of noob on ssd, does the games are installed directly on the OS if you have a ssd or go to the storage hdd. in the first case installing games on your ssd takes lifetime of it or just its fine with it. and in 2nd case will its seagate reliable as a hdd for OS system and storage???
    i have always installed my games in the os partition.

for now i have a hitachi 1tb (1year old) for raw storage. and using a WD black Scorpio(laptophdd) for OS for now 5400rpm/:):eek:

thanx.....

here are my specs
    i5 2500k
    gene z68/gen3
    8gb
    ga gtx670
    asus 23 led
    850w corsair

2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    with SSD you get faster windows startup, faster gaming levels loading...

I suggest go with SSD !!

SSD are not so reliable for storage but for OS they are perfect.

jormungand says thanks.
  3. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I sort of agree here.I personally dont really store anything on my ssd. I actually have two. Initially i bought a 64gb ssd and used that as my OS and was good, but i quickly ran out of space after installing stuff..so i recommend dont get anything smaller than a 128gb ssd if you want to go that way.
    My setup now is I have a 128gb ssd as my OS drive and I use my secondary 64gb ssd as a dedicated pagefile drive. Works great!

:toast:

jormungand says thanks.
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    once you go SSD you wont go back. It spoils you so be prepared for that. Get a big enough one for your OS and games you want loaded. Do a fresh install and there are a few tweaks nothing serous.

jormungand and jgunning say thanks.
  5. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Why is everyone so paranoid about storing important files on SSDs? I thought we were long passed this. Sure, there may be a write limit, but retention times are just as long as for HDDs, and there is no read limit of any kind. An SSD is just as safe as an HDD is.

They're just helluva lot faster.

jormungand says thanks.
  6. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i've had a 80gb SSD for the OS, the main apps I use, and the one or two games I play which leaves me around 25 Gb of space left. Everything else is stored on my 750gb drives.

Its also easier to reformat if something goes wrong and easier to keep lots of files when you don't need the extra speed like video clips with speed.

jormungand and jgunning say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying that one should use SSDs as a dedicated storage - they're much more efficiently used as boot/steam cache/swap etc. drives. It's just that I don't understand why people avoid like the plague putting sensitive data on them...

jormungand says thanks.
  8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I would have the SSD as the OS+programs drive and keep the SATA HDD as your storage drive. I do this. I got a Samsung 840 and it's really nice.

jormungand says thanks.
  9. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    I have a kingston hyperx 3k 128gb for my OS, and a samsung 830 256gb for all my games. I love how fast things load. all my movies and music and other crap are stored on a regular HDD and and Green HDD.

jormungand says thanks.
  10. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.This is the best way to utilize the ssd you end up with.as everyone is saying, ssd for OS and software, standard sata hdd's for storage of stuff. =)

:toast:

jormungand and remixedcat say thanks.
  11. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    thanx guys, ill pass to the SSD side;) i dont use so much apps so i think a 64gb will be plenty for me. in case i grab a nice 128/120gb offer will be great.
    thanx again anyway.:rockout:

12. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    If you don't do a lot of writing and deleting on your drives then just get the Samsung 840. It has incredible read speed but only 1000 write cycles. For an average user, it should last about 5 years. It's also pretty cheap.

If you want to feel safe with HDD and still want speed then get the 1 TB velociraptor.
    I have both SSD and velociraptor.
    Boot time
    SSD ~10 secs
    Velociraptor ~20-30 sec

To tell you the truth, the quick boot time for the SSD does not really benefit you that much. It loads so fast that you don't even connect to the internet fast enough. Your programs(like Steam) start throwing you errors because it tries to log in before you've connected to your router. Since my work, games, etc... are all internet based, I set it all to auto log in and cause this problem at boot up.

When i boot from my velociraptor. It's plenty fast and I have internet access right before everything is loaded and auto log in.

13. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    What are these said tweaks if you don't mind me asking :)

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Install in AHCI mode
    Make sure you plugged into your SATA 3.0 6Gb plug
    Turn of system restore -just to free up some space
    make your page file smaller - same (2000Mb)
    Check to make sure trim is running
    Turn off defrag, if its not already

That's it, there are a million "set up a SSD" pages out there with all kinds of suggestions but this is what I do. It seams to work well

jgunning and Alcpone say thanks.