1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

After 4 years...its upgrade time!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happita, Nov 15, 2011.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt unless you plan on not OCing. Some will OC to 4Ghz but I havnt seen many over that mark. Microcenter would be your best bet on getting a 2600K with free motherboard when they have the deals.

*EDIT*

This is something you CANNOT pass up!

[​IMG]

happita says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    Was just browsing over at Anandtechs b/s/t and saw a 2600k for 255. Pair that with the biostar z68 board on newegg for 125 or 110 open box then find some decent ram and you'll have what you want.

I really want that biostar board. It has perfect placement of pcie and pci slots for my use but its pcie is 16x/4x for crossfire and sli which is no good for me since ill be getting another 6970 at some point in the future.

3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Whoa. That UD3H combo is looking like a VERY likely possibility. $270 + another $50/$60 or so for the ram and it comes to like $340/$350 with tax!!! :toast:

Looks like a win-win to me :D

4. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    WHOLY SHIT!! i bought my AMD mobo and cpu last yr for 300$ :(:(:(

6. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    If I could find someone to buy my X58 combo straight out, I may opt for a 2500K and Z68 board!

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    just to add to the question about having to do a fresh install, I have switched between intel c2q to intel pentD to AMD xp3500 back to the c2q, no reformatting needed. everything worked fine

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    My condolences go out to you sir :(

de.das.dude says thanks.
  9. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I have never had an issue. You just need to delete all of the old motherboard drivers before you change boards.

10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, If I had the money I would get in my car right now and see which combos they have left and pick one up along with 2x2GB of decent ram then call it a day!

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    When are those deals dated? Because I usually get emails from MC every now and again just like the egg, but I didn't see those 3 specific CPU/MB deals. When do they end?

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    True unless he was running raid which no one seems to thought about and only other reason be if the HDD were in ACHI or IDE or even raid with that current mobo. a new intel chipset should be a none issue as long it was no raid setup and he picks the same HDD mode (IDE\ACHI) which i think were people have the main issue.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
  13. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Its in the november specials catalog page 27.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/33e9daac

happita says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Some good points, dunno how many times not enabling AHCI after a failed OC/reset bios settings has stumped me for a few mins of not being able to boot into Windows :ohwell: :toast:

Although the OP states he doesn't want to lose important data files, seriously, if their important, back them up regardless.

15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any H67, P67, or Z68 chipset-based motherboard will give you two SATA 6 Gb/s ports wired to the chipset. The chipset-driven SATA 6 Gb/s ports have been found to be the highest performing in the client industry (higher than those PCIe x1 SATA 6 Gb/s controllers, and even AMD's SB8xx and SB9xx southbridge chips). They are capable of 550+ MB/s in some cases, something third-party chips are practically incapable of.

digibucc and happita say thanks.
  16. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    This is also a very important selling point for me. When I do upgrade to a SATA III SSD, I want to utilize it's speed to the fullest. I have read a few reviews here and there where people were not getting the advertised speeds and blaming the SSD itself due to their MB using the Marvell controller.

17. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Marvell controller is widely found to be buggy with SSDs that stress it. It's stable only with those SATA 6 Gb/s "compliant" hard drives.

18. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why everyone has problems with swapping drives for a new build with the old OS on it. I have never had a problem. I do it just until I get the new OS to install. It has worked with uninstalling all the hardware drivers on the previous computer, then installing the hard drive in the new setup and also with just leaving the drivers for everything there. Even AMD to Intel and vice versa. I don't run it like it that at all I just use it to put around and make sure everything works first and then install the fresh copy. Haven't had any problems.

Anyway a fresh install is better anyway for the long haul. A good fresh build wants a fresh OS to zip through:)

19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it's not that it always causes problems. it's that it CAN cause problems and to ignore that fact is irresponsible. if data is any concern you should back it up anyway, and if you do that it makes no sense imo to not reinstall anyway for optimal performance. yes you can uninstall drivers, but you don't just need sound card and io, you need chipset and everything else. my motherboard installs nearly 50 different drivers.

if you don't want to use it long term, and you already backed up all of your information, then it makes absolutely no sense to me that you would do it at all.

disclaimer: that is my opinion, i do not mean it as fact.

20. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I say get with PaulieG or cadaveca, they may be able to give you some insight on this. I am pretty sure the non-k Turbo chips will allow you to go a +4 multiplier over top of it's current stock values. Which pushes a i5 2400 to ~3.8Ghz, with a small bump in bclk you can obtain near 4Ghz with it, even at 3.8Ghz that would be more than plenty.

@digibucc

You know I wasn't attempting to be demeaning or derogatory, so don't take it as a troll/flame. :)

digibucc says thanks.
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    of course not jr, i know you well enough :)

22. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I agree with you there. I was just saying it is possible until he bought a new OS or really wanted to try everything out and boot into windows because of excitement. :respect:

digibucc says thanks.
  23. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    digibucc says thanks.
  24. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:

Do you know "restore anywhere"? With my old version of Backup Exec desktop edition, I could migrate an simple OS on a IDE drive to a RAID 0...

With the right software, you can do anything :) Using Paragon Partition manager Server 10 or 11, which you can inject drivers into the partition. You can boot on the CD, load drivers than restore image. Did it when I swaped from my RAID 1 250gb to my Crucial M4 64gb :D

For those who thinks an old OS is slow, this is because you scrap your OS... Don't use software like CCleaner to "repair" your registry, don't install shit, and when you uninstall, remove registry shit from that software, defrag your disk (if no SSD) and do your updates! :toast:

I had Win Vista x64 SP2 for 2 years on my last system, OS was fast like when I installed it.

@happita

You will like your system xD, SSD is soo much faster than an hard drive!

Crunching for Team TPU