1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Afterfall $1 Pre-order

Discussion in 'Games' started by TIGR, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Afterfall InSanity is a new indie game announced yesterday with an interesting approach. If 10 million people pre-order the game, everyone will get the game for $1 and 10% will go to charity. As of this posting, they have about 14,100 pre-orders.

If they don't get 10 million pre-orders, well, watch the first video under YouTube Videos below for more details.

Official site:
    Afterfall-Universe.com

YouTube Videos:
    Afterfall InSanity PRE-ORDER - Why One Dollar?
    Afterfall InSanity Trailer 2011 #1
    Afterfall InSanity Trailer 2011 #2
    Afterfall: InSanity Trailer Teaser 2011
    Afterfall: InSanity E3 2011 Gameplay Trailer
    Afterfall: InSanity (March gameplay video)
    Afterfall InSanity Developers Diary 1
    Afterfall InSanity Developers Diary 2

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I agree with one of the top comments. 10 million pre-orders is unrealistic. At least pre-order funds will go to charity.

HalfAHertz says thanks.
  3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It reminds me of a cross between Gears of War and Dead Space.

I'm in.

4. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Agreed on all counts, Danish and Hoss. Does anyone see what charity the 10% is to go to?

$1 is not much of a risk, but like Danish said, reaching for 10 million sales even at that price is pretty ambitious.

5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Why not. Figured I would drop a buck on it. Worse case I am out a buck.

6. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    Actually if it doesn't reach 10 million you well get charged for 33.90$...or did I miss something? :confused:

7. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    The way I understand it is that you can at that point either decide to pay full price for a copy (minus the $1 you already paid) or forfeit your $1. If anyone understands differently please set me straight.

8. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering only 3 other PC games have ever broken the 10 million sales mark (The Sims, WoW, Starcraft), this is never going to happen.

1Kurgan1 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  9. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I don't disagree but it'll be interesting to see how many copies they do sell. The $1 price tag and charity may sway a considerable number of people, and if you read posts about this on other forums you'll see people saying they've pre-ordered multiple copies.

The company doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of marketing right now but I have no idea what they have in store between now and the deadline. At the current rate I don't see them getting even 1 million pre-orders, but want to keep an eye on this and see what happens.

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Cool, how ever did any one check out the charity as some claim to be none profit but it's not always what it seems. Just saying as all as there is some really sad charity out there who take a massive chunk for there own expensive life styles.

11. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not only that, but they put up the video 16 days before the game comes out.... Roughly 2 weeks to break sales records, it's a great idea to give to charity. But it just seems like they set the pre-order date too late and the number too high purposely so they wouldn't have to sell a bunch of copies for $1. The game does look pretty insane as an Indie title, but I'm not a huge fan of this strategy.

12. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    That is incorrect. If they don't reach it then you will have the option to buy the game at 33.90.

13. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    16k pre-orders now. I hope for their sake that they have something big planned to boost that rate.

14. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Indie games are going to take over. Seeing that big companies are starting to go to console ports *COUGH COUGH id software. I will support them seeing that they are making these for us, the pc gamers.

15. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Most indie games are just cheap re-makes of older games. Sometimes blatantly ripping off previous games with a minor re-skin. There are some decent ones mixed in with all the crap though.

Indie could get big if piracy doesn't kill it.
    There are so many people who don't understand that if they and all their friends, and all the people they interact with on the web and in forums pirate games, then the devs go bankrupt, everyone gets fired and all we get afterwards is console ports and clones.

This seems like a good deal for whoever the charity is. They aren't going to hit 10 million buys, though.
    I just hope that the 'charity' isn't a shell company owned by the devs.

16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Minecraft has sold about 3.5 million copies over 1.5 years and it is a genre that appeals to just about everyone (not to mention, it went viral). Afterfall is an action-horror game, a genre that couldn't pull in 10 million sales under the best circumstances. Frankly, it'd be lucky to get 1 million. Realistically, it will probably sell between 100,000-500,000 total.

I'm one of those that will pass because I have 0 interest in action-horror. I'd rather donate a dollar directly to a charity of my choosing. Actually, I'd just throw a $1 on the last Humble Bundle because I always give 30-50% of that to Child's Play.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Well, pre-orders seem to have crawled almost to a halt. It never seemed likely they'd get 10 million but at the current rate they won't even hit 30k.

18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    This is a good point. I could effectively donate by putting down ten bucks(which is small change...) and pre ordering (or effectively buying) ten copies.

If for every one hundred people who might buy the game, were to do this, that's one thousand copies. But then the numbers get more demanding. Assuming people did fork out ten dollars, they'd have to 'sell' one million.

That's still a large amount... some independent games are good.. E.Y.E. is a recent example. Anyone into first person shooters, with some role playing elements, a bit of sand-box and interesting art concepts would really find it groovy. Though even that hasn't sold one million as far as I'm aware?

If Steam were to host Afterall, and even support(donate) to the charity, I could see it possibly happening. Otherwise, who is going to hear about it?

I can tell you one thing that will keep them from getting sales.. is that awful Dead Space third camera angle with the slow response. At least give the players first person option. PC gamers don't want to feel like their using a gamepad..unless they are actually using a gamepad.

19. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the heads up.:toast:

20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    This is clever.

This way they get rich whether they actually sell the game or not.

They already have made $17,076 with this trick and probably not even half of those people will end up getting the game once they realize that it won't hit the 10 mill mark and doesn't. Wouldn't be surprised if by Charity they mean themselves or the likes :p

People say to themselves I can risk losing a buck to get a game...

But get enough people to give a buck and it adds up. Real clever...

EDIT: Just read the small text on the site claiming that if they don't reach the 10 mill mark it all goes to Charity, but again we don't know what Charity unless he says which in one of the videos on the site.

21. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    Very cool. Love the genre. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying this out for sure.

If you used D3doverrider DS 1 and 2 were as responsive and precise as an fps.

22. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I hate to say it, but small bit of doubt creeps across the mind as to whether the charity is legitimate, or the money will actually goto any legitimate charity.

This could turn out to be a really awesome scam.

23. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I think you guys are reading too much into it. Sure, it may be a scam. Chances are it's not though. They'll announce a charity once the deadline is met and they still don't have 10 million preorders.

24. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I thought it was Amnesty International? Or did I miss something?

25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Where? More like I missed something.