1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aftermarket Cooler worse than OEM?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Munki, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay guys, so im a little itchy about this. I was hoping I just didnt set the new HSF on very well, and after the 3rd time redoing this, its not a seating issue. Stock HSF w/ "termal paste" was setting my PII 955 @ 49.5 C and this aftermarket cooler is sitting at 49.9 C.

Should I give it some time to settle? :confused: because this is very annoying.

Cooler - AC Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE

MOBO - Asus M4A79XTD EVO socket AM3

RAM - Ripjaws 2x 2gb DDR3 1600

Any ideas felloe TPUers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. TheShad0W New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a shit cooler, but it shouldn't be THAT shit?
    Weird, I assume you've tried reseating it etc?
  3. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    My rev 1 was wonderful. Ive seen many many more good reviews than bad on this cooler. If I get home tomorrow and this thing is sitting at 50+ C its coming off. Its crunching all the time so its always under a load even when im gaming. I just don't understand it. I was already flustered with mounting this thing. Its was a weird azz mount.
  4. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    LOL, are you serious?:rolleyes: Its an excellent cooler and works well for 99.9% of users.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im that other tenth of a percent :(

EDIT......50.8C now

now 51C
  6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    its most likely operator error. I have used at least 20 of these things (im using one now with my AMD 250 and the temps are in the very low 20s)

Is the fan running full speed?

You said the mount was a prob are you sure its flat and properly mounted?

(if It keeps raising thn its likely not mounted correctly)

Giving it time to settle isant needed, should be fine right from the beginning
  7. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:

This being the billionth PC ive built I think Its seated right. but ill pull it again and see what this things issue is. I will say whoever made this mounting idea for AC, they need a vacation.
  8. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Its unlikely "billionth" especially if you are having a prob with a simple mount like this.

Its an excellent mount that allows mounting in all 4 posistions.

after mounting again set the fan to 100% and see if that helps.

And if you keep mounting/unmounting make sure to clean off the TIM and apply new stuff.
    Here is mine right now
    [​IMG]
  9. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Is the tim spread out good on the chip and cooler when you remove it?
    May have a contact issue if not.
  10. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just noticed that go around it having 4 screw holes instead of the two outers I was using, So I moved one to the inner mount. It seems to me as if the surface of the cooler is especially small. Although, ive very flustered, so its probably fine.

I checked the BIOS temp when it went back from its cold boot. 34C. So thats roughly idel when its in the OS. The CPU is going full blast so im going to stop crunching it and look at the temps. Maybe soemthing will jump out at me.
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Some pastes on stock coolers have a wax component that can kill temps when re-pasting. If there was any hint of colour left from the old paste, that's probably the culprit.
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The AC Freezer Pro 7 is a pretty poor aftermarket cooler. I wouldn't be surprised by 50°C under load with a stock 955. Its fine for a dual-core processor, but I wouldn't use it on a quad, it quickly gets overwhelmed.

So you are comparing an idle dual-core w/ no L3 vs. a loaded quad-core w/ 6MB L3...

And you're being condescending toward him...:shadedshu
    theonedub and Munki say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are the odds of you recommending me a cooler for this rig? When I was looking at reviews it never crossed my mind what exactly they were cooling with it. So thanks for pointing that out.
  14. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Pick up one of the Xigmatek coolers or the clones. That seems to still be near top for price to performance. I'll recommend either the hdt-s1283 or 1284 both will work just fine for you.
    Munki says thanks.
  15. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    NT1 hit the nail on the head and Kenshai followed up with a great recommendation. As someone who has used both the AC7 (just got another one to cool a dual) and a Xig DK (on my Q9550) I concur with them completely.
    ChiSox and Kenshai say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    First it is an excellent cooler and all 3 statements are incorrect:rolleyes:

And second I am being a lot more condescending to you for spreading such trash:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Add to that they Thanked you for that bit of wisdom(garbage) and it goes to show how silly rumor/innuendo gets spread all over the internet by experts
  17. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tomorrow after work im going to have a HSF swapping party. Stock back on this rig. and the ol 7 rev 2 is moving down the line to the 3800+ which is currently on stock HSF stable at 2.2ghz. :laugh:
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't have said it better myself, both the 1283 and 1284 are great coolers for the price.

No, by today's standards it isn't excellent, there are so many better coolers. The AC Freezer Pro 7 falls on it's face with modern quads. It still does decent on the duals, but the quads just overwhelm it.

Aaaawwww, is the baby mad we are dissing his choices in hardware?:cry::cry::cry::cry:

The only trash in this thread is your claims that it is an excellent cooler, and your crap evidence to back that BS claim up. Clearly it isn't, as it is outperformed by the stock AMD quad-core cooler.

Lets throw it a party! It can keep a dual-core at 20°C when idle! That should be the gold standard for all coolers!!!! Fuck other tests, if it can keep a 65w dual-core at 20°C idle, it is an excellent cooler!!! Load temps? Those don't matter, fuck load temps. Forget testing it on some of those higher processors, who cares if they put out 125w, that shit don't matter, it can keep a X2 250 cool when idle so it's the best cooler in the WORLD!!!! How dare you say otherwise! Idiot...(See I can be an ass too, except I actually know what I'm talking about.:laugh:)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Was the stock heatsink the heatpipe version? If it's a "hot" chip, it could saturate the Freezer 7 as much as the stock hsf, it just may take a little longer. Freezer 7's were designed for dual core's really. Is there good pressure between the cpu and the heatsink?
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I was about to ask about that, if the stock heatsink was the copper one with the heatpipes, you're not going to see much of an improvement.
  21. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    The stock HSF was the 4 heatpipe version (rather nice). As for pressure its got some ilbs to it, no doubt. It came with two retainers on either side to hook to the mounting bracket, and screws to screw it to the HSF bracket itself. Im not real sure that makes any sense.
  22. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I'm wondering this whole time is what load temps look like.
  23. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If you look closely, it shows his CPU at 100%. :laugh:
  24. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kantastic is correct. This machine crunches almost 24/7
  25. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've taken a sidestep in cooling ability to be honest; the stock AMD cooler is pretty damn good (about 17.2x better designed than Intel's) and while the Freezer is also a decent cooler, it cant keep up with a quad due to the huge heat output.

If you wanted aftermarket cooling you should of spent $20 more and got one of the new-age beasts that are on the market.....any of the top 10 air coolers will be better than your stock AMD cooler or the Freezer. :toast:

Edit: I happen to use a Freezer on an E2200 and it works fine, even OCed to 3.2GHz the cooler does a great job for the money.....I just wouldn't use it on a quad is all. :)