1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Age of Mythology, any way to play it without my disc? Only reason I have a disc drive

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phusius, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only play one game still that requires a disc, Age of Mythology, and never use any other discs so no point for me to have my DVDRW drive anymore if I can figure out a way to play this game without the disc... checked GOG, GMG, Steam, no one sells it on digital form. Thoughts?

2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I pretty sure any answer to your question would be against the rules of this site. It's not that hard to figure out for yourself.

sneekypeet says thanks.
  3. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    DT

Yeah that thought passed through my head the second after I hit post. Perhaps I should EDIT that out.

4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will just use the disc then, I don't know how to pirate without getting virus's etc.

5. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to pirate. You need to circumvent the copy protection; to disable or work around the disc check. This falls under FAIR USE, so long as you own the software. (dependant on local laws, etc etc)

Downloading a pirate copy is, as always, a risky idea; certainly not one I or TPU endorses.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure how pirating ever became popular anyway, how can people risk messing up or slowing down their entire PC with junk like that. I will stick with my SSD speeds and fiber optic internet thanks xD

7. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Everyone seems to have their pet justifications.

I can't tell you how to play your game that you rightfully own without the disc in the drive because that knowledge can be used just as easily to play a game you don't own; even if you wouldn't do that, the site is accessible online to everyone and enough of those people don't have your integrity. :ohwell:

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it isn't pirating... Google the title of this thread with some slight modifications for specifics and see what shows up.

9. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yup. If you own it, you have the right to play it.

Phusius says thanks.
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    at the very least you should be able to rip your disk to an iso and then mount it with daemon tools or similar. Digitalizing your library isn't illegal. You bought the game, you don't plan on giving away the disk, you'd just like to run it without the disk. I don't see an issue here.

Also most of the disk required games are only searchign for a few specific files, it shouldn't be hard to reporduce those.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have the full installer that I downloaded from windows game live website back in the day when I purchased it. I just checked thought its not on the windows gaming store anymore :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    See if your key will activate via Windows Live. Worth a try?

Phusius says thanks.
  13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    image the disk and then use magicdisk or somthing to make a virtual drive and load the ISO. Even if you get rid of your disk drive from the rig, you will always want an external USB one hanking around in case you want to perform some maintenance or something.

Keep the original disk as backup.

14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    this also has my vote. I have alot of my older game discs ripped to ISO for this reason. Makes installing larger games way faster.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    As soon as you dump the drive you are going to end up needing it for something. And do you have a different plan for reinstalling Windows?

16. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    USB stick

Phusius and cadaveca say thanks.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Phusius says thanks.
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am aware there are other options just asking OP if he has plans for such.

Thats also nice as should be able to slipstream in updates and service packs (and whatever else you want) to save some time and bandwidth.

19. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Or you can just put in the DVD. Seems easier just to do that then take another 30 mins to make a USB stick.

Not to mention, you still need a DVD drive to make the image so.... kinda pointless IMO - you will still have an external (obviously assuming one computer and a disc).

Clearly you're going to be able to figure it out, but its a pain. Just spend the $20 on an external writer. Then you can also burn your grandma Photo DVDs and she will think its the greatest stuff ever.

20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Between making the image, and burning the DVD + the time saved on install, the USB method is far faster. And, if you are like me, and install Windows weekly on test rigs, DVD is just not a viable option.

Making USB stick takes 15 minutes, including ripping the image. Then Windows install takes like 5-8 minutes after. It's really amazing how quickly Windows installs from USB. DVD is like 1.5 MB/second, USB, up to ~30 MB/sec on USB 2.0.

I wish they'd start selling games on USB sticks, just stick in the stick to play, USB 3.0 is far faster than traditional mechanical drives anyway.

phanbuey says thanks.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant wait until I can install windows via USB 3.0!

22. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ^^ i totally agree. I dont think they will do that, just from experience when we make installers for our ERP system (which is old and does not do remote installations well, or at all) we have to make backup DVD's. Making an awesome dvd with a logo costs us 0.80 cents, for a 4GB USB stick was $7, and when you're making 1,000 the boss will always sign the cheaper PO.

I don't see USB installers ever taking off... if anything I see laptops connecting to a server to download the OS on-demand.

23. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank for your help everyone, I am going to MailMan's idea a try. xD :toast:

24. HD64G

HD64G

Thanks Received: