1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AGP - X1950 Pro experiences

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Completely Bonkers, Feb 12, 2007.

?

Is your AGP X1950 stable or unstable

Poll closed May 14, 2007.
  1. STABLE :)

77.8%
  2. UNSTABLE :(

22.2%
  1. Makaveli

Thanks Received:
    And thanks for the feedback :)

I will get around to the epoxy soon. I bought a Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe so I can go PCI E. Will be buying either a 8800GT or 3870 when I can find one in stock. So even if I lost the card, its soon to be replaced.
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Is the VRM heatspreader the one which comes with the X2?
    Or the one which came with one of the later Sapphire X1950pro revisions?

Either way you need to have tose stupid sticky pads on there.
    Or get that epoxy ASAP!
  3. Makaveli

Thanks Received:
    I know they had released a Version of the X2 that came with it, but my version did not.

I had to order the VRM heatspeader from Artic Ebay website. Didn't take long had it in a few days.
  4. Greatpumkin628 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been running a sapphire 512K since release with no issues whatsoever.. aspire 500 feeds it to rock stable 630/1490

Running this cooler which keeps her at about 30 idle and 55 under full load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835110015

I used a zalman vga ramsink that I cut in half and put on the vrm's with the spongy/sticky stuff that was between them and the stock single slot soloution.

STABLE.

I recommended this card to a friend and he has had zero issues as well.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  5. The_Gunslinger

The_Gunslinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for slow reply, been away for a bit.

i dont actually play games, or at least if i do they are not ones that will stress the card that much, i got it for it's other abilities :p

i do watch a lot of movies, and find that it is very happy with 720p image files and as far as i can tell copes with 1080p ok as well, although that is a little harder on my system and it can sometimes be noticable, having said that, i have not noticed any GPU generated artifacts or daft stuff like that, and i am mor ethan happy with the card.

only thing i will be changing is i want it water cooled
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  6. kreaturekodeyellow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have dual rail PSU and artifacts always appear and system freezes up.
    I think one of the 2 power inputs on my x1950pro is broke. I just used one molex to see if I could power up the card, one input worked the other did not.
  7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Rock solid stable. BF2 all the way turned up with all settings including AA get about 75 to 90 frames easily.
  8. Makaveli

Thanks Received:
    Cool ya I figured gaming wouldn't be the primary reason for your setup. Good luck with getting it watercooled.
  9. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:

yeah, games just arent my thing.... but i do own a full size pinball machine :laugh: .... now there is a proper game :rockout:
  10. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bump an old topic... But I just stumbled upon this thread and you guys seem to know what you're talking about, whereas I am clueless!

I've had a x1950 Pro 512mb AGP for a little while now. Probably 7 months? Really can't remember... The manual says 'Version 2.0' on the back of it, so I assume I have the version 2.0 card.
    A couple of months ago, I had a power supply blow up while playing a full screen game. It was a 550W. I then borrowed one from a friend until I could buy myself another one. After installing my friends one, it blew up within 20 minutes aswell! It was a 450W I think. So I went and bought a decent quality new 450W psu, and it seemed to be doing fine. A couple of weeks ago, during full screen applications (games basically), my computer would crash and instantly turn itself off. Occasionally my screen would become flooded with speckles (as someone in this thread has had before too).

I thought it may have been due to only a 450W power supply, so I upgraded to a 700W one, but still no difference. I have 2gb system RAM, but I must admit, it is cheap RAM that I bought off ebay... I've run a Windows Memory Diagnostic test on it, and it returned no errors. I have ordered some much nicer ram, although I doubt that has much to do with my issue..

I have submitted a support ticket with AMD/ATI, but I thought I'd ask here anyway, as they never give any technical details back.

Thanks for any help!
  11. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    i had an antec neo 500 die on me within aprox 3 weeks of putting the card in, that was i think the 5v rail dying, which might be unrelated, but i swapped it out for a corsair 620, and have had no issues since.

BUT, i cant stress enough the requirement for a GOOD PSU, in any PC, let alone one with one of these cards, they are thirsty beasts at times, look carefully at the 12v rail distribution and current available, total wattage is not the "be all and end all" of a PSU capabilities

My basic advice right now would be to get a PSU with a single rail 12v desgn, that is capable of delivering a decent amount of current on the 12v.....

if your looking for a recommendation, then you will not go too far wrong if you get a PC Power&Cooling unit, something like the Silencer 750 model, this will drive a decent sized system all year long without missing a beat.
  12. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you think it would be a power supply issue? This afternoon after posting, I took my computer outside and using an air compressor, blew all the dust out of it (and I've never seen so much dust in my life!). It's now running with the side of the case off for extra ventilation, and I haven't had a crash since then, and I've been running games flat out since then... Looking in the Catalyst Control Centre, before blowing it out and taking the side off, the graphcis card was running at around 55-60 degrees Celsius (which seems like a lot!) just sitting on the desktop doing nothing special. Afterwards, it was running at about 40 degrees celsius on the desktop and 55-65 degrees while in a graphics intensive game, with quality turned up high... I'm surprised it has made that much difference.

As for your suggestions to power supplies, I really don't know much about the electronics side of things. This is the power supply I just bought and installed:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280185424212
    I know it's a cheapish one, but should that be ok?

Thanks for your help :)
  13. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    it "could be" a PSU issue, but as you found from experience, layers of dust is bad for temps, and when temps go up, all electronics will behave differently, you could simply have killed the first PSU with dust inhalation, followed by intensive use, hard to say, i'd guess the second PSU was probably not enough in the specs somewhere, but it too would be a guess

you can not underestimate how important a stable and clean source of power is in a pc.

the one you have ordered i cant say much about, because there is no makers details for me to research (that i saw)

but... what i did see was this bit
    this means that each 12v can NOT have more than 18amps (i think) available to it, this is a supposed safety feature, and something that a number of makers disagree with, and thus dont follow, because some graphics cards require more than that on a single rail.

you might be ok, but if it goes again, i'd just go and buy the best one you can, even if it's overkill, it will be useful when you upgrade in the future.

also have a look around your case, just to make sure your not grounding out somewhere (like motherboard to tray) or something daft like that
  14. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alrighty, well thanks for your help! I'll check if it could be grounded out somewhere tomorrow. I highly doubt that's the case, but worth a look anyway. I really should try and understand all the electronic works of the components when I get a chance to look at it. I'm a software developer, so my knowledge of hardware is good, but can be quite simplistic, so thanks for your help.
  15. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of the brand but according to the specs this PSU should be more than enough.
    Good luck dude, I'm sick and tired of hearing about these X1950pro issues TBH.

As well as non-definite answers from ATi-AMD because thier support really don't know what the issue is and sounds like they are made to reply off a list of pre-written sentences.
  16. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, so it happened again this morning... I got a automated response back from ATI, with a few things to check. I altered these settings in their applicable spots:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6. For AGP ( Accelerated Graphics Port) cards ensure:

* Ensure that Fastwrite is disabled in BIOS, and in the SMARTGART section of ATI’s Catalyst Control Center
    * Try adjusting the AGP speed from (8X to 4X) (4X to 2X) or vise versa.
    * Increase the AGP Aperture in the BIOS. We recommend a 128MB minimum.
    * Disable any Shadowing settings in the BIOS.
    * Disable any Cache Video BIOS settings in the BIOS.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that might make a difference. But I also noticed this:

* RADEON X1800/ X1900/ X1950 require special power supply:

+ 450 Watt capacity with 30A on a +/- 12 volt rail (connection) for single graphics configuration.
    + 550 Watt capacity with 38A on a +/- 12 volt rail (connection) for dual graphics configuration for Crossfire (for a list of certified power supplies click here ).

Funny how they never mentioned those specific requirements anywhere else. How is someone like me supposed to know that? I don't even understand all this talk about volts, amps and rails! If someone could quickly and simply explain that concept to me, I'd really appreciate it. Then I'd have more of an idea as to what I'm doing. Only thing I sorta understand about PSU's is wattage...

Thanks guys...

EDIT: This is the ATI support page by the way: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=28022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've seen that 'support' page.
    Sounds like thier talking a load of crap to you.

First of all, it's a AGP 8X GPU so why would you need to change the bandwidth for?
    My AGP aperture is set to 128mb.
    I have fast writes on.

THere are some threads about the explanation of the PSU votls/amps around.

I'm using a 600W Enermax with dual +12v 18a rails and I'm having 0 problems.

Haven't ever heard of the last two settings being in BIOS.
  18. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I had no 'shadow' setting in my BIOS, but I did have that video cache setting, so I turned it off. I'll have a search for that thread about the PSU's, thanks :)

EDIT: I read through the PSU stuff, and it still doesn't make much sense to me :p Still a bit of assumed knowledge there, of which I don't have. So to me it sounds like we think my problem is actually my power supply. I'm having trouble understanding how it could be, as it was fine for quite a few months with that old one, and the one I have now is basically no different, just with a higher wattage. There isn't anything on the card itself that could be causing the artifacts and the instant shutdowns when under pressure? I take it that it isn't a heat issue, because reading elsewhere a temperature of 65C is normal when under load, and that is what I'm getting.

Anyway, if the problem would be my power supply, could somebody maybe kick start me off by giving a couple of examples of power supplies that would work a treat? I don't want to spend a fortune... I'm not really a PC upgrading enthusiast... I just don't want it to crash!!
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  19. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    LOL!
    65 is not hot.
    My GPU was up to 86deg which it has done in the past, today and constantly hits 82 with an idle of 50 something.
    Never had an issue with it.

As for the PSU, mine works without a hitch.

Speckles is usually to do with either the core or the RAM on the GPU truned bad.

What card do you have exactly?
    Is it a Sapphire, HIS, etc. . . .
    If it's the HIS version 2 I think there is a unfixable problem.

Write up what your whole system is in your system specs.
    We might be able to help a bit more.
  20. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just updated my system specs... It is a HIS... So what does that mean? There's nothing I can do about the artifacts at all? Does that mean ATI will replace it for me? They can't just leave it that way, surely...
  21. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help :)

I'll believe you when you say I couldn't really stuff up putting on some thermal paste... But I really don't know where to start, lol. Are you sure it will really make a difference? I mean, my temperature is perfectly fine, so I don't think working on the cooling is going to make much difference.. I have read that artifacts are probably caused by RAM on the card, and to try underclocking it... I've gotten a hold of ATI Tray Tools and have tried just that, so I'll see what happens there...
  22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OCZ gameXstream runs my system fine, so you can assume it'll run yours too.

For a simple explanation on amps/wattages...

Power supplies arent one big wire, with all the power on it. They split off into rails internally (one for 5 volt, one for 12 volt, and one for 3.3V at least.) Modern ones have more than one rail.
    a 500W PSU may have a 400W 5V rail and only 80W for the 12V - if your system uses lots of 12V power and no 5V, you're screwed!

This is why we check the amps on each rail, and make sure theres enough power there, rather than just checking the wattage.
  23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Bubblesnout, you have DDR2 in your system.
    That motherboard is designed to run DDR1.
    Could this be a problem I wonder. . . .
    Wonder if your motherboard will give a low enough voltage for them.

I'll get Craigleberry to tell you his story about his HIS ver.2.0 when it went bad.
  24. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I had a HIS X1950 Pro AGP Turbo card for about 4 weeks. I could not get any higher on drivers than 7.6. It ran fine for 4 weeks untill one day I came home from work went to my pc (in the mood to play a little bf2) Loaded up the game spawned on Wake island.. And the artifacts were bad real bad I will dig up some screen shots for you if you want. I rebooted all of the standard stuff. Removed the drivers and tried to put them back on and I couldnt get above a 4-bit desktop. I RMA it and sold the new one went to Sapphire. PCIe
    [​IMG]
    This is how bad the artifacts were.
  25. bubblesnout New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol this just keeps sounding worse... The card looked so good when I bought it! :p

I didn't realise my board was designed for DDR1 memory... How ignorant of me. I want to get a new MoBo at some stage, but I'd obviously want to upgrade, so I'd get one that supports a Socket 775 multi-core processor. Problem here is, that's going to cost a bloody lot, because I'll need the new board, and a new processor. Given, I could sell the stuff I have now for a reasonable amount. But it's still quite a financial setback. I'd get a board with PCI-e aswell, but again that means buying a new card. *sigh*