1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

air cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by nhlrocker, Oct 22, 2007.

1. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so i have the intel stock cpu cooler and 2x80mm fans, one @ rear (exhaust) one on side (intake)
    My temps
    CPU:17C (idle)
    Mobo:25C
    GPU:49C
    HDD:38C
    is there anything i should know about air cooling that will help me out, im willing to buy tons of fans just let me know.
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Those are very good temps. If you want, you can get an after market cooler for the cpu, but really 17c is really good.
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you include Air INTAKE into your plans. Minimize airflow restrictions with good cable managment. CHeck "Airflow", be sure to reduce "HOT Pockets",(places where air cannot move, normally in the bottom back corner of a case) Sometimes a fan can actually Blow hot air from one component into another component(this may not be good).

:toast:
  4. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok cool, thanks guys.
    what about installing a really large fan on the top of the case for exhaust??
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    17*c ....really??????

No offense intended here but you either live at the north pole or your PC is in a meat locker.
    I'd double check that temp!!!!
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Heres my temps on air cooling.

[​IMG]

With a freezer 7 pro,modded with the fan off an akasa amber on it,and a 120mm fan on the front and back of the case.
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    28*c is more reasonable.....17*C is 62*F I guess if the A/C is on full blast and he's wearin a jacket to sit at his pc....Personally on air I've never hit Ambient temp, it was always 2-3 deg. higher.
  8. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    im at school right now but i will double check when i get home
  9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Is it cold where you are at nhl....I mean like 60*F outside with your windows open?
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Its actually pretty chilly were i am,not sure what ambiant is but it feels cold.I am looking forward to some nice overclocking this winter tho'.
  11. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    its 12C where i live.
  12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Ok then previous statemnts retracted....Id say it MAY be possible as long as you arent heating the house yet.....I feel jipped, I wish it was that cool here so I could Oc this thing a bit further!!!!!

Dont really know what to say for helping your AIRCOOLED system, try to post back with load temps . As for the Idle temps I'd have to say they are great!
  13. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol well if my cpu temp is that good, im not gonna get an aftermarket cooler haha
  14. WBaS

WBaS New Member

Thanks Received:
    The temp does seem a little low. What did you use to read it? I recommend using a couple programs to get a better idea. Try using coretemp, everest and speedfan. Btwn the three of them you should have a good idea.

As far as knowing air cooling...

Fans:generally the bigger the fan, the more air it can move (or move the same amount of air at a lower rpm and theoritically less noise). CFM quantifies the amount of air it can move. The more the better and usually louder.

Case: For the best cooling, you want more CFM out than in. Generally you'll want to take in cool air in the front of the case and exhaust the hot air out by the cpu. The idea is to generate a "wind tunnel" from the front of the case, across your hot components, then out. Routing wires within the case will help the air flow better and therefore reduce your temps.
  15. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i have all 3 of those programs, coretemp, everest, and speedfan. as for your advice thank you very much. i appreciate that.
    i will test my load temp when i get home.
  16. WBaS

WBaS New Member

Thanks Received:
    NP, if you have any more questions I'll be happy to help. :toast:
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    add 10c to your temps. This is common.
  18. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    lol thats nothing 1.8v stock air 35C LOAD

[​IMG]
  20. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    cdawall... why did you post this. its not a compitition i was asking if my temps are normal. i have all stock cooling and overclocked.
  21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yeah sry mine was off topic

no your temps are very low and very good for air cooling, but intel did there HW for the cooers it is the same one they used on the PD which ran hot ;) it is a hollow copper slug with alluminum fins it cools quite well you could try for a faster fan, the on on the cellys runs 2-3x as fast but is louder

and as for air cooling tricks more air out than in makes the case run cooler so try a pair of 80mm out (towards the top of the case) and a single intake towards the bottom of the case
  22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Core temp 0.95 reports the temps wrong on a g0 chip.Its because on the older ones the tjunction is 85c and on g0 its 100c.It dont seem to take this into account,i would add 15c to them temps to correct it.Try core temp 0.95.4 and you will see.

[​IMG]

you can see core temp 0.95 is reporting the tjunction wrong,and no revision no.
  23. nhlrocker New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didnt use just coretemp, i used cpuz and some other programs to moniter the temp. also the beta version of coretemp is wrong, the older one is right.
  24. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    So your trying to tell me my cpu temp is 15c? i dont think so.So why does the older one not show the revision,and gets the tjunction wrong.You believe what you like,but theres no way your temps are correct.

since when does cpu-z show temps?

Try googling "core temp 0.95 wrong temps with g0" and you will see that you are WRONG.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  25. WBaS

WBaS New Member

Thanks Received:
    nhlrocker, it is a well known fact that you need to add 15C to that temp you are seeing. Look into it yourself if you don't believe it. Your temps are actually around 30C not 15C.
    tigger says thanks.