1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Air intake and exhaust question.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by macbeth, Jun 6, 2006.

1. macbeth New Member

Thanks Received:
    My casing has a 120 mm fan in front for intake and 120mm fan at the back for exhaust. I am planing to buy a new power suply with those 120mm sillent fan. So my question is if the air flow in a pc is not equal will it be a problem? Meaning if the casing is taking in more air than its exhausting or the other way round. So given a choice which is better? Equal air flow, more intake or more exhaust.
  2. markkleb Guest

what case do you have?
  3. Juggernaut1987

Juggernaut1987 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some people say its better to have more intake then exhaust. There will be a "overpressure" inside the case which is said to keep dust out. Dunno if its true tough but it sounds very likely. Iself have a more or less equal air balance because there are no holes to put extra fans in the front.
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Equalizing flow isn't all that important. Besides that, most PSU fans don't do much more than 1000rpm.
  5. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Airflow can be important in some cases, like mine, i got only one intake fan in the front (other then psu), then one blowing air out, then 2 blowing air up out of the case, since heat rises. I really think it depends on what setup your having..
  6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have one 120mm fan intaking in the front, one 80mm fan intaking on the side, and one 120mm exhaustong from the rear. I might make a blowhole on the top soon so I have another exhaust.
  7. blacktruckryder

Thanks Received:
    I have a Chieftec Dragon and have 1 120mm intake on the side blowing over the chipset and the vid card. Then i have 1 80mm blowhole in the top ( soon to be 92mm or 120mm). With that setup i get case temps that idle at 30c and hit 35c under full load.
  8. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh airflow is absolutely important, but equalizing the flow so there's not a posative or negative pressure inside isn't that important.
  9. dze New Member

Thanks Received:
    from my experience u can fry a psu by having too much exaust..it renders the psu flow stagnant or reversed. positive pressure and massive airflow work best on hot machines imo.
  10. T4 GTR New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the worst case the buildup of pressure would conflict the intake fan but if you was concerned about this just put in a second exhaust fan. The way my case deals with this is there are exhaust vents on the front and the right hand side case panel. You could always put extra fans in the case especially if you are overclocking.
  11. T4 GTR New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 120mm intake fans and 3 120mm exhaust fans because at work we did an experiment and it seemed that you need more fans on the exhaust side because of the pressure expansion by 15%. It was always better to have more exhaust fans when overclocking if you didn't havee a water cooling kit on the processor.:)
  12. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a 120mm fan blowing over my hds, then that air goes straight threw to the psu (lian li v1000), but in my top section were the mobo and stuff is, i have a 120mm blowing in to the cpu, then 2 80mm fans blowing in to the grafx card 1 120mm blowhole on top, and a 120 mm exaust in back.... i think i have ok airflow ;)
  13. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    A tune for you all, perhaps?

"Breathe..."

by FABULOUS

:)

(That's all you've gotta make happen, to make them do better (just like cars & on BOTH ends, intake & exhaust!))

APK

P.S.=> Humor folks, all this post was about (rest is common sense & just preaching to the choir here largely imo): BUT, the tune applies & is 1/2 decent as well imo & I'm NOT a "rap" fan either... apk
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  14. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Balanced is the key, IE, 120mm exhaust @ 80CFM and a 120mm intake @ 80CFM. PSUs that use 120mm silent fans are also prone to causing a "heat spot" in the system as air is directed upward into the unit with no real means of escape, thus, when the system is all together feeling the top of the case where the PSU is you will notice it getting warm, probably quite warm to. Investing in a PSU that uses the "pull-push" airflow method will avoid this. One PSU that uses this method is the Mushkin unit.
  15. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    *cough*says the person that is mushkin tech rep*cough cough*
    but dont be convinced by him that the mushkin is the only unit lol