1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Alert! System Shutdown Due to Thermal Event"

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by surfsk8snow.jah, Aug 6, 2007.

1. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Haha, I'm at work, just came back from lunch, and my Dell Dimension DIM4600 Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.2GHz 1GB of RAM, was shut down. I turned it back on, and first thing that pops up:
    "Alert! System Shutdown due to Thermal Event!"
    I was like wtf!? Must've gotten too hot while I was doing nothing on it at lunch .........
  2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes they have Intel monitoring software with the alert thresholds set too low... I've seen it before on some Dells, especially if they don't have good ventilation around them. Should be able to alter the shutdown temp somewhere in the software (or in the BIOS if it was caused by that).

That's what your office gets for choosing Dell :rolleyes:
    Complain to your manager and say that you need "one of those new Core 2 Duo things 'cos they are colder"... it might work! :D
  3. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAHAHA.
    Thats a Dell for you.
  4. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    o btw is it dual core or just hyperthreaded?
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    check and make sure your PC vents are clean and then check and be sure your processor heat sync and fan is also free from dust....when cleaning the heat sync fins with COMPRESSED AIR be sure the system is shut down and the power cord is removed and with the power cord removed be sure to hold the power button in for 45 seconds to do a discharge:toast: