1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games' started by manofthem, Jan 12, 2014.

1. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Just stumbled across this and figured that I'd share it.

Alien: Isolation was recently officially announced for PC (as well as consoles) to be released late 2014; release date is October 7th (thanks @stinger608). Already listed on Steam and available for pre-order on GreeManGaming, this looks like it could be awesome.

Alien: Isolation is a first person survival horror game, set 15 years after the original alien, where you play as Amanda Ripley, daughter of the Alien protagonist Ellen Ripley, looking for her mother in deep space. Not only is attention given to detail, as in sounds, score, cosmetics, and tools, but it seems the feel and premise is based almost exclusively on Ridley's original Alien, and it has been compared to Amnesia, which has me hooked already.

Judging by the videos, it has me stoked for its release.

More info:
    Videogamer
    IGN

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    This looks really fun already! I love the idea of only ONE alien, and using your wits in a cat and mouse game!! I'm surprised as well as looking forward to seeing that CA is developing it.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh good, so i'm going to shit my pants a lot.

curious they did it about her daughter, as her life (and lack of a young death) was covered in the directors cut of aliens i think (there was a photo of her iirc) and she was mentioned in the comics.

stinger608 and Bow say thanks.
  4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Meh considering the fact everything NOT Total War by Creative Assembly has been terrible and the fact that the Total War series quality is falling year after year as well my hopes are not high for this game. The only reason CA got the chance at it is because SEGA owns them. Thus they have more control unlike Colonial Marines.

5. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Definetly looking forward for this game.like games with hiding and getting scared.

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm a bit skeptical too. They've never done a game like this. I'm trying not to use GearBox's horrible Aliens game as reason on top of it though, and I do see how the premise here could have FAR more options than Amnesia DD had. I worry some in ANY game like this that as was said in the 2nd video, the player can become used to the monster after getting killed by it a few times, and become more bored of waiting for it to leave than scared. Just them having said you can wait for it to leave at times also makes me skeptical how well it's AI is geared toward "smell" too, but maybe they were referring to it being in another room behind glass or something.

It's my hope that if it IS a 10-12 hr game as speculated, they will flesh it out with a good variety of gameplay, vs making it 90% inching your way along and hiding. As mentioned they could have interaction with crew members, maybe an android as well, a face hugger or two, and I'd like to see some zero G stuff, including an objective that involves getting in a space suit and going outside the ship, which would require doing it within a given amount of air time. It was elements like that in Dead Space that set it apart and made it not so copy cat. These guys commented on DS at one point, but they never gave it credit for that.

Part of what killed Amnesia for me was it was too easy to hide and sneak, even without using tinder boxes. I just kept collecting them and found I rarely if ever had to use them. A lot of horror games have a very faint amount of light around the player where you can actually see walls when you're near them. Amnesia had this and so does Last Light, but at least in Last Light you KNOW you'll have to take on monsters, and you can't just sit and hide because you run out of filters. There are also a lot of times where you can't see well enough without NV scopes or goggles because you have to get past patrols, or be moving and reacting quickly. For this reason I think a lot of action horror games are scarier than survival horror games.

Most survival horror games are only good for one play through. They have scripted scare scenes that lose their effect on subsequent play throughs. They have no difficulty settings because there's no combat, and once you know what to do, most if not all challenge is removed. Hopefully this one's AI will not be so predictable, so as to add replay value, or the objectives varied enough to at least add good variety in the first play through.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    the game looks great, very sharp and defined even if it is dark, im a fan of Alien so looking forward to this game.

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Finally some real horror alien game. Thankfully not some shooter crap colonial marines.

9. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks fun and scary:)
    I am a big fan of the Alien movies (except the last one)!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    New video

rtwjunkie and manofthem say thanks.
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Multiplayer? If so that might be fun. Like 5 marines vs one OP alien.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    AVP2 had a sick multiplayer mode where the first player to die becomes the Alien or Predator, then you have to take down the remaining humans. Dead humans go to the alien/pred team. Made for some intense matches where the humans all pack into a small room with a ton of smart guns and miniguns and blast anything that moves!

If they bring that mode in, that would be sweet!

edit: they also had Alien lifecycle mode, start as the little facehugger or the worm thing and progress to queen.

13. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    As far as I've heard, it won't offer multiplayer. It's supposed to be a horror survival game like Amnesia, where you run and hide constantly when you aren't moving quietly in the shadows.

james888 says thanks.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Thats too bad. I was thinking some kind of modern Source hidden mod, but with alien IP.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    HOpefully even shadows wont help u in this game,becuase Alien is a monster he must feel u nearby,its not a stupid human u know :p

16. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    You may want to try playing "Faded" mode in Natural Selection 2 game then (seeing you already play this game, look it up in the servers list). Basically it's a group of marines vs. cloaked, mighty powerful alien that can hover through the air and attack marines with two long bladed arms (kinda reminds of a Hydralisk from Starcraft). It's called Fade in NS2 game which you already know, i just described it for everyone else.

I've played that mode few times and it's pretty scary. Most of map lights turn off so visibility is very poor, you can pick any of the 4 basic marine weapons. And while playing, you hear all sorts of weird noises when Fade is getting closer, making it really uncomfortable to play as a marine in a constant fear of not knowing when the Fade will try to stab you. It is like a "The Hidden" mod for Half-Life 2, just with marines and aliens. Maybe you'll like it.

Mussels and Vario say thanks.
  17. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    I may check this out

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i always loved the hidden mod for HL2, that thing was great fun

bubbleawsome says thanks.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I love the faded mode, and am well aware of it. I tried starting a steam group for people who want to group op and play instead of trying to seed a server. The mod currently is unsupported though, because the modder Rio decided it wasn't worth his time. There currently is one server running the faded, it is french, and hacked together to work. It does work but is heavily broken. I do really love that mod, but I am one of a small niche inside a niche.

Hidden mod seems to have a staggering community too. I check every once in awhile to see if there is a server with people. Sometimes there is, but often not.

This game won't have such a mode, but that is ok. It looks pretty fun none the less.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    They seem to have the right idea, but if there is only one enemy in the entire game, it's going to get real boring real fast. The alien movies never had just the alien as the bad guy, but bad humans too. If you go to the expanded universe, the aliens are psychic in nature and can bend human wills to their needs. I'm all for survival horror, but 10-12 hours of running from a single bad guy doesn't sound too good.

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    when the hell did that happen? i've seen the movies and read most of the comics, so what did i miss?

22. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering the same. Psychic abilities???

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. JC316

Thanks Received:
    In the books and mildly in the directors cut of the 3rd movie.

Mussels says thanks.
  24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    time for me to torrent some books

25. JC316

Thanks Received:
    It's in Earth hive. Been a long time since I read it, but IIRC, there is a group of fanatics that a queen communicates with telepathically, dreams and what not. It was a good book series. but I probably haven't read it in 10 years.

HammerON says thanks.