Discussion in 'Games' started by Mussels, Feb 9, 2013.
i agree to that. i have the same feeling
I am still upset noone has made a good game from the book. Or wait they did, it's called Tribes.
anyone else having huge ping issues? i cant get into any MP games with less than 500 ping
I've actually read that's a common problem with some, maybe due to location. Since you're down under, you may be getting the bad end of the stick there. I just watched Angry Joe's entire video review, and I don't recall him mentioning ping problems, though I may have just forgotten it.
The MP is about the only thing he praised, even though it only has 4 basic modes.
i wouldnt know, as i cant get any kills at all in MP. i cant even play coop with other aussies in private matches, its like all the traffic is routed to the USA (even for voice - on LAN play its ok, but the voip traffic is terribly laggy and lossy)
Man I am having a lot of fun in this game..
Beat campaign co op with my bro on BA.
Was hella fun and nail biting..
That's all I can say.
I am going to post some Full HD videos soon. 3.65 gb clips each arounds..
Enabled DX10 with some simple ini lines.
Game didn't even have a proper config for the gtx 680.
Gave me a 4 instead of a 5 in qualities.
Now AO is enabled and other things I guess.
There's a topic on steam forums about it.
It also had my cpu set to 4 not 5..
Should of been 5..
Easy stuff they could patch..
They could make this game a heavy hitter imo..
A little polish on escape and survivor mode, it would be amazing.
I am having tons of fun with the game anyway.
no way i'm going to waste my money on this crap, the reviews just sums it all up, pathetic 58% overall score on combined on major gaming site made me care less about this game.
I'm wating for GOG to re-release AvP 2 with both addons. That one was just better and still is despite of the age. No close combat sequence nonsense, just pure horror shooter with aliens. no more, no less. And we liked it because of that. I don't get it why they want to make so many things at once these days and fail at every singel one of them. Do half of them instead and do those properly. Geez. And then they have such crap 6 years in production, change 10 engines, 10 development teams because most of them died because of the age ect etc. This also shows how poorly the game was planned and the lack of teams communication made it flop completelly when tehy decided something didn't turn out as they planned. Good dev teams can work out such issues easily. Those that can't end up with such crap game.
Judging by the demo they released on E3 it would be a fantastic game with incredible graphics and atmosphere. But it turned out like a really lame console port that got ported to a console (yeah, ported twice!) and back to PC again. Not even gonna pirate it as that would just fuel them up with excuses that piracy ruined their success...
Is it really that bad? I was looking forward to this game.
The reviews are wrong.. Your loss imo..
Aliens Colonial Marines 1080p, HD with DX10 enable...
Imo it is not even remotely bad. To me it seems that super mega rage has taken over. The flaming of this game is ridiculous. I have played it, I know..
Put a lot of hours into it and it keeps me coming back so far.
My two cents.
Do not listen to the reviews about this game.
Most of them are just flat out trolls.
Well thanks; good to know. I found this on wiki:
"Aliens: Colonial Marines has received largely negative reviews. The large volume of negative reviews has resulted in a backlash including a discussion of video game journalism practices such as review date embargo and minimum score exclusivity"
played my first game with an aussie host... world of difference. suddenly top of the scoreboards and loving the game.
If you just look at thevery old demo presentation and what they served us now tells you that something went horribly wrong. usually games released later look better, not vice versa. The whole lighting and shading pokes in the eyes so much its impossible to ignore it. But i'd ignore that as i'm not a total gfx whore but seeing how aliens move around ruined the rest. they are basically human soldiers with tail and alien skin. Has anyone ever seen any climbing a wall or ceiling and attacking you from there? They always come to the ground and then charge you. Its pathetic. Even the first AvP had aliens with better space awareness than this game does...
And the multi with alien in 3rd person view. Seriously!? I agree that first person alien control requirs a great space awareness but the whole point of alien is close contact encounter. But here you're looking it in the back. WHY!?
I like 3rd person and what you say about the AI is odd to me.
Look at my video..
They are all over the walls, ceiling and floor.
Did you play on BA mode?
If not then you have no idea, the AI is different, harder and it really made the game for me..
Every other difficulty was too easy.
Maybe people having these AI, issues is more related to how the game messed up with simple inis.
Like who knows. Maybe your cpu and gpu have accidentally been rated a 2 and should be a 4 or 5..
Idk but the AI is all over the place in my game play.. See the vid..
Pictures speak louder than words and my video says it all.. Proof is in the pudding so to speak..
I like the game.. I enjoy it.. It was worth every penny imho..
Great to hear Mussels. if you ever want to team up I am Bishop in steam.. Same avatar.. o7
Seriously the negativity this game has received is so unwarranted. If you base your decision to buy this off a review you are missing out.. Not even kidding..
The reviews are flat wrong imo, lies or simply people who have gotten so use to trolling, they don't know how to do anything else..
Look at my HD vids..
That is the AI on BA..
They are NOT dumb.
The game is NOT ugly.
The campaign and multi is all kinds of fun..
Just as much fun as I have with l4d and l4d2 or more..
This is a clip of part of the game where the aliens are like half dead and dieing in the sewers underneath.
They cannot see but they do hear.
If you stand still they will walk past you.. If you move, you get attacked..
This is one of the biggest lies being spread about this game,.. A blatant lie..
That clip is 100% BS..
The person who made it is just a troll
and more to the point anyone dumb enough to just believe it is..... Well I'd rather you not play the game anyway..
Enough trolls running around, don't need any in game..
AGAIN here is my HD MAX video with DX 10.. This is an uncompressed set of clips that is about 16 gb in size.
This is how the game looks.
I just think they brain farted and forgot to add some gpus id's to the list and enable some features..
Typical but an easy fix..
Aliens Colonial Marines 1080p, HD with DX10 enable...
No matter what anyone says in defense of this game, there are some key issues about the sp that are unacceptable IMO.
1. Graphics that are considerably dumbed down from what the demo showed, such as no dynamic lighting, dumbed down particle effects, physics such as glass cracking missing, etc. Even map layouts are different.
2. Only 3 of the 11 levels are alien specific AI wise, with 3 merc only and the rest mixed.
3. It took 7 yrs to make yet the campaign is only 6 hrs long.
4. It plays like a corridor shooter vs survival horror, with lots of repetitious buildings and very linear pathways even outdoors.
5. Ammo is only seemingly sparse, because you can just use the weapon wheel to fill up by switching weapons.
6. Voice acting is terrible, even from the star characters like Michael Biehn
7. Dialogue is terrible.
8. AI is terrible
It all seems to add up to charging full price for a value game, though I hear some have already dropped it to $30 due to poor reception. No, I don't think this one can be blamed on unfair criticism. Look at Angry Joe's video review of it. He points out several things about the sp where the customers were lied to pre launch, and that is egg on the face of the devs and pubs, not the critics.
Absolute proof people have been lieing about game bugs and game play..
I said the EXACT same thing on the forum when this happened and I got trolled to death, from raving lunatics screaming like 8 year olds, who wanted candy..
I proved that people are lieing and even now all they say is "Oh yea but there aren't any other lies"
Come on.. Seriously?
Who is stupid enough to believe after seeing this, that there are no more lies?
Is anyone that dumb?
People are being duped. Likely by people who have been paid off to bash this game thoroughly.. They seem to be doing an excellent job..
But yea, videos speak louder than words.. Make up your own minds people.. ACM is a good game..
maybe not a GOTY game. But it is good and it is a lot of fun..
It is premium price worthy imho..
1. Graphics look nice and they are well within the acceptable range. You saw a demo.. No game is ever exactly like the demo.. Unfortunate but true..
2. So they promised you a game with only Aliens to fight? Where is that in writing? It never happened and you expecting the game to be EXACTLY what you want is unrealistic..
3. It took 7 yrs because AVP came out at the same time and the game changed hands.
We got lucky to see it at all..
4. It plays like all other video games that every COD and L4D fan enjoys.. It is a shooter..
Multiplayer opens up maps more but how often were you NOT in enclosed spaces in the Aliens movie? You were always in tight places.. Be happy they didn't cram you in a vent for half the story..
5. Ammo is ammo... I have no idea what your gripe is.. You get ammo, you shoot gun, same as any other game with guns..
This isn't Resident evil 1 where you can try to save ammo and only have one gun..
I like my guns and I worked hard to unlock the dang things..
Maybe make ammo a bit more sparse but you wouldn't even be thinking about that, if you played BA mode.
All the ammo in the world doesn't mean a thing, if you can't keep it together..
6. Voice acting is acceptable but sub par.. But every game with crappy story and voice "IE COD" gets peoples seal of approval?
I call BS..
7. Dialogue is the same as what you said above.. you say it twice to make it seem like there is more wrong with the game.
8. AI is perfectly fine if you play the game on BA mode.
We trust reviews from a guy who calls himself "Angry" Joe? yea, that sounds reasonable..
The game is fine and if people gave it a chance they would find that out for themselves. Instead people like you are just ranting all over with discontent about what I consider to be trivial things.
Check my steam stats, I know the game and the reviews are BS imo.
1. his point is the demo had FAR better graphics, lighting, and physics. Fact is they lied about the graphical quality of the game, in video form. Nothing in the demo video made it to the story/missions either - watch the video, its quite a sore spot for a lot of people.
2. agreed with you on that.
3. and that too.
4. it felt too linear at times. why not have the freedom to put sentries where we want, instead of preset areas? let the aliens come from all angles and let us fight them off, instead of 100% the same experience for all players.
5. its survival horror - where you carry 10 full loaded weapons at all times. why customise classes when you can just swap weapons mid level?
6/7. the voice acting was acceptable, the plot was crap XD even the marines mocked how nothing made sense (why was the sulaco back, the hicks story, etc)
8. most of us cant play on that difficulty due to MP lag. sad but true.
Well said mussels.. I guess I can agree on some parts.. linearity, fighting people instead of aliens sometimes..
The plot was crap lol..
But I enjoy the game..
That in it's self is important..
That's what matters in the end and I truly do enjoy it..
I hope we get dedicated servers.. That would really help with the lag.. Playing with some guy hosting on standard internet can be.. not so great.. XD
2. It comes from survival horror roots, but has become a corridor shooter. No Aliens franchise game has been slanted that direction more than this one, and again, in the demo videos if anything they made it look like it was going to be survival horror mostly, vs having most of the levels involving merc fighting. The merc stuff really doesn't belong.
3. Not arguing why it took that long, just that given the amount of development time, it could have been written and polished WAY better. This has the feel of a value game that can be cranked out in less than a year.
6/7. Don't know how anyone can lump the two together, they're clearly different things. A writer writes the script, the voice booth directors and actors handle voice acting. Belittling them each being specialties can lead to apathy and lack of QC, which clearly this game suffers from on both. I was shocked at esp how dull Biehn's acting was, as if someone woke him up to read a few lines he was unfamiliar with and didn't care about.
8. Again, this is a franchise vested in survival horror roots. The sp experience really should have included better AI to honor that, and there's video proof of key AI like O'neal constantly getting in the way of the players and doing next to nothing even in coop. The xeno AI particularly is pretty bad too, not nearly as clever as the species is supposed to be. Most of it is predictable rush the player tactics. It's appalling how much better the xeno AI is in AvP 2010.
Say what you want about the game, as I and others will, but when you start in with that "people like you" crap, remember, you're seriously outnumbered on this one. Most can see it's a terrible game. We're not the ones trying to excuse and gloss over the fact that it was pretty much touted as a AAA game and ended up no better than most value games.
I personally feel too many people are in denial of having spent too much on certain titles, and it's a big part of what gives some devs/pubs the means with which to abuse the power of false advertising.
hosts game of colonial marines
instant abuse and hatred over pings.
well fuck you. thats how it feels when i join your games :/
edit: being host is certainly an advantage
Yeah, it sucks if you're from the down under. It was always a problem with ping. Thats why it's nice if games have option to lock in regionally. I usually only play with EU users so pings are very good. With US players it's usually a bit worse. But it all depends on the game. Killing Floor is pretty playable even with high pings as its co-op and players don't really affect eachother. It's different when you have to attack other players...
at the very least, they need an option to filter games by ping so you dont join if ping is above an amount set by the user.
that'd be a good quick fix while they work out dedicated servers (a necessity for the game to surrive/not ruin gearbox/sega reputation)
Well, it already ruined their reputation, now it's more of a damage control... if they do it right, ppl might say ok then, but if not, they'll fail even deeper...
Word is Pritchard is embarrassed over the flames on Twitter. Yeah, ya think? What did he expect?
Those ini lines dont do anything.. Dx10 line to true still shows dx9 with afterburner so its a big placebo.
My cpu is at 5 my gpu is at 4 changed to 5 still the same..
Game is bad no matter what. Alien AI a joke, GFX bad and dull, did I forget something o yeah the game sucks. xD
Separate names with a comma.