1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

All Steam games suddenly not working, help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BaconXBits, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BaconXBits New Member

Thanks Received:
    So one day I'm playing Borderlands, killing people left and right, and I decide to take a break. Next thing I know (as in next time running a game, give or take a few hour time period), all of my Steam games don't work at all. More specifically, it just flickers between the Valve logo and the menu (for TF2/CSS/L4D) and the opening credits just flicker and repeat for Borderlands. Now I'm not sure if I rebooted/turned off/slept my computer between these two points in time (of working and not-working), but I definitely did not install anything.

Things worth noting:
    -OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (JUST installed on a spanking new 1TB HDD)
    -Hardware: EVGA 8800GTX, Intel Q6600 Quad Core, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo mobo
    -Non-Steam games work perfectly fine (Mirror's Edge tested, assuming my other games work too; too lazy to install everything).
    -Installing new nVIDIA drivers doesn't fix it.
    -AVG and AdAware don't find anything wrong.
    -CCleaning in general and in registry doesn't fix it.
    -Removing my graphics card and replugging everything in doesn't fix it (this was before I tested other games lol)
    -Deleting Steam and all of my games, and proceeding to reinstall EVERYTHING doesn't fix it.
    -I'm typically a very neat computer user, so I have very little crap cluttering my computer.

I don't want to have to wipe my HDD and start anew, since chances are I'll run into this problem again if I don't know what's wrong. I could TRY defragging tonight, but I doubt that would make a difference.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    try cutting your steamapps folder out to somewhere safe, then uninstalling and reinstalling steam.

once done, copy/cut andpaste the steamapps folder back in.

that will fix any issues with steam itself, without requiring you to re-download your games.
  3. BaconXBits New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well either way, reinstalling them didn't help in the first place.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Reinstall directx?
  5. BaconXBits New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't look like that worked. Miiight be doing it wrong, since I basically just installed the "DirectX end-user runtime update." Couldn't really find DX10/11 or whatever on the site, it all seems like dev kits and such.
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Have you gone into the windows 7 action centre and seen if it can find anything? Normally i'd ignore windows built-in tools but the action centre seems to be pretty decent helping to find obscure software errors/compatability issues.
  7. BaconXBits New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't have anything except it wants me to set up a backup, which I can't do anyway because it doesn't detect my other two drives for whatever reason (even though I can access them through My Computer).
  8. BaconXBits New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump, Valve still hasn't bothered to reply to me (I sent a support request last week), and disabling all of my anti-virus stuff didn't help (worth a try I suppose).

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edit: They just now replied to me suggesting removing anti-spyware and unnecessary processes. Didn't work.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009