1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alternating clock speeds and multiplyer on cpuz with quad core?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by bud951, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is weird. I have a Q6600 running stable at 3206mhz and it says so in the performance section of ntune but on cpuz I get alternating mutiplyers. One second I get 3206mhz with 9x multi and the next second I get 2137mhz 6x multi. FSB is the same at 1425. Is there something wrong? Are all my cores properly overclocked? Maybe a problem with cpuz? Version is 1.42. Info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its intel speedstep when its not working hard it drops the speed down to save energy

bud951 says thanks.
  3. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh.. I thought that was off in bios. Should I keep it on? Any probs with it? Thanks.

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    shouldnt be any issues with it

5. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's odd. I've disabled Speedstep in my BIOS as well and I'm seeing the same behavior in CPU-Z with my E2200.

One of my own theories is that it's possible that while disabled in the BIOS, whatever circuitry is responsible for Speedstep's functioning continues to run but is decoupled from actually changing anything. And whatever CPU-Z polls to get its numbers just happens to be derived from this circuitry.

Of course it could also be that the BIOS setting in question isn't actually doing anything. I haven't figured out a way to tell yet.

6. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK a bit of further research has revealed that this behavior is caused by C1E (Enhanced Halt State). There are utilities such as RightMark CPU Clock which can disable this behavior, and some BIOSes offer the ability to disable it as well. Although at this point I'm not sure there's a reason to do so except for diagnostic purposes.

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes speedstep and C1E BOTH have to be stopped I believe.