1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alternative liquid cooling systems

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Zedicus, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    have any of you guys ever tried running a compressed system, like freon, r134a, or liquid c02?

how hard was it to build?
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I think those types of cooling are usually referred to as either phase change units or various staged cascades, which if I remember correctly draw alot of power thus making them some what crazy for daily use. Also would require major insulation of most the components so they don't suffer any damage from condensation created. Not 100% on at that, and I'm sure people will correct me as needed. I have no real personal experience with either system though.
  3. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I've seen a 5 stage cascade a while ago, that was sick :D
  4. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    well im not aiming for subzero, i was thinking a single loop with a refrigerant system should keep even an overclocked amd quad around 30-40c with out using too much excess power.
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    TEC is about the only low power thing besides water that you could use. anything that uses refrigerant would be atleast 3000BTUs and would take about 1300W
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Why not just water-cool? You'd get those results.
  7. Trigger911

Trigger911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree go water its much cheaper and you don't have to pay some one to refill your system.
  8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    I have no personal experience, but I've seen a good number of people do this so it's definitely possible and doable.

Do note that this is a rather extreme form of cooling and I would say that this is not a simple task. But with the right guidance and knowledge though, I'm sure you could assemble one of these systems. But I don't think this is for the casual 'enthusiast'.

I have not seen anyone try this on this forum. However, I've seen many of these types of setups over at Xtreme Systems...
  9. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    guys, they sell r134a with recharge kits at walmart. and gut one of thouse 6 pack desk refrigerators for the pump, the line is all simple metal tubing. insilated copper or maybe pvc to help with keeping the cold in.

basically im thinking a complete solution for 50$, and MAYBE 30 watts to run. granted its no subzero rig but it should be smaller and easier to use, and quieter then the average water rig.

(note: my only concern is the heatsink to cpu connect. im thinking a waterblock but it would have to be a solid one, no plastic top or anything like that.
  10. Trigger911

Trigger911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a cheap way to go i guess? I didn't know that they interchanged (car and refrigerator). why not go with a pelter it would be cheaper and would take up a lot less space.
  11. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless your HVAC certified i doubt it your gonna be able to do anything with gas mediums.

What your looking at is straight text book phase. Gas mediums need a compressor, and a condensor, which will both run you over 50 dollars.

Simple note, if your not HVAC certified, or have a friend thats HVAC that can hold your hand when you mess with that stuff, DONT TOUCH IT.

Freon is not something u want to be sniffing.
  12. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    HVAC certified means? not a term we use in the UK at all. I assume is some type of accreditation for working with gases. Am i right in thinking that?
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That's excatly what he's saying. It's somewhat dangerous and if you don't know what you are doing, you will get shit results.

Simplest solution is watercooling and a TEC (Thermal Electric Cooling). A TEC is not very efficient, but will probably beat out even a small single stage phase cooler when coupled with water.
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Being HVAC certified myself, it's hands off for a beginner. Building the unit would be rather cheap, however the head (block) isn't going to be cheap at all. Plus you will need to worry about condensation. Making one for benching runs, fine, but for 24/7 usage you will end up spending much more money than a traditional water loop.
  15. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    ofc it would be expensive i just wondered what HVAC stands for?
  16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    just about any good air cooler can do that.

your local WalMart sells most of what you need
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
  18. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    ive worked in the auto industry for a number of years, i actually left about a month before i was scheduled to take an A/C and heating systems cert.

ignoring the complications, a new 6 pack fridge is about 50$, can probably find a used one. wiring is free, tubing is basically free, i will have to buy or build a block, ive been considering this for a while and just wondered if there is some huge reason for not doing it. it seems so dead simple and not expensive.

does anyone know the psi and temp rating to compress co2 back into liquid? im considering running it as the refrigerant but dont know if the tiny compressor out of one of thouse sub-1cu' fridges would handle it.

note: wont be using freon. there are alternatives, r134a, co2, and my personal fave, liquid propane. :flames: <- apparently that doesnt work on this board.
  19. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:

Most of the 6 pack fridge's are using peltiers to cool the fridge and not using refrigerant at all ...so be carefully when grabbing that mini fridge!
  21. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
  23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    TEC and water is much cheaper and about the same power draw for the same temps unless you are aiming for subzero.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    i noticed that, looks like i neet to shoot for an actual .5cu' mini fridge, and not a '6 pack fridge'

why you all hatin on the home made refrigerant cooling system anyways?
  25. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Not hating at all and hope it works out for you! I just threw in an alternative too is all.:toast: