1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alternative to Anti Static Bags?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1Kurgan1, Apr 13, 2009.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I got some older hardware I am going to be posting up for sale for cheaper prices and I'm looking for a good alternative here. As it would not be really worth it to pick up bags for things I am going to be selling for low prices.

I haven't looked around a ton, but newegg had up some bags that were like $12.50 + shipping, the shipping is the killer. So looking for something else that works, unless someone knows of a cheaper place to get these.

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    If you have a microcenter in your area they sell them there, not sure about the price, but only place I saw locally by me that had them.

3. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no real big comp shops up here.

4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Paper envelopes are quite fine. The problem is PLASTIC. And hence there is a special transparent plastic called "antistatic plastic". If you want to double-protect it, then wrap the paper bag in alu-foil. You now have a DIY low tech faraday cage.

5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was reading about wrapping in aluminum. But they weren't sure it worked. So what your saying is wrap the item, we'll say in news paper, then wrap the news paper in aluminum foil? If that does really work then guess thats how my items will be going out, I havent put up any pics yet, because no point in selling something you can't ship, might have to get them up now.

6. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    A cardboard box.:)

7. iandh Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    If you PM me I have some I can send you for free-ish (pay shipping). I have a LOT.

8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    aluminum foil sandwiched between cellophane... the cellophane will protect the card from the foil, and the foil will protect from static.

9. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Paper or cellophane inner lining, and aluminium foil for the outside lining. Then wrap it up in bubble wrap so that the buyer has something to amuse themselves with!

10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I go down to my local ma & pa PC store, call ahead, they hand em to me if I call and ask first.

If I dont have anti-static bags, I just use bubble wrap, about 3-4 layers depending on bubble size. Then just add peanuts or newspaper to keep the thing in the center of the box as best you can.