1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

alternative to windows for a gamer?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hat, Jan 21, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well I have some funky problems with xp x64 right now. My microphone doesn't pick my voice up, weird performance issues, etc. Is there a version of linux that has Direct X, runs .exe files etc?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know no version of linux contains directx or has really good compatibility with windows exe files. There is a program called WINE though that can run some windows files. Can't really say much more than that as I hardly ever use linux and don't know a whole lot about linux.

I would suggest going with Vista 64 or use Windows 7 64 until the real deal comes out.

edit - maybe look into this:
    http://www.winehq.org/
  3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I think the only option for gaming is windows. I think you should give Vista a try.
  4. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    windows lite lol
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    but I don't have a hundrud bucks to drop on Vista. -_-
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you turn on decibel boost?
  7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    All you have to do is run the 120 trail over and over and over again:roll:
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes.
    It doesn't pick me up at ALL. If I un-mute the mic in the playback section of the sound options, I can hear myself talking into it through the speakers, but for recording purposes like ventrilo, windows sound recorder etc it doesn't pick up. It doesn't pick up "what u hear" either, a feature that's supposed to record whatever sound is being played back, so it would be useful for making youtube videos of you playing video games.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    your mic issue doesn't sound xp related to me, have you gone into Sound in the control panel and made sure your headset was set as your recording device? also have you checked device manager to see that is it recognized. Another note, even if you had the 100bucks to drop on vista, i wouldn't recommend it with your 512mb ram, my foster parents have 1gb and their pc runs slow as poop cause vista is using like 6XXmb of it, plus 128mb for onboard graphics.
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    the rig in question isn't in my system specs. My rig has 8gb.

as far as the mic issue goes I've never had to specially set anything, it's always just been plug it in and it works. I've confirmed the heatset working by testing it on another computer, and it worked just fine
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Get the Windows 7 beta and its good till august. There are a couple Win7 threads circulating with posted beta keys. The only problems youll have with games there (that ive run into) will be punkbuster since they dont want to update their shit till RTM. Otherwise games run fine. And w/e you cant get to install or work right, install it with XP or Vista compatibility mode and it works great.

Ive did that for a while. :laugh:
  12. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu + WINE = OpenGL gaming for compatible games. IIRC, in WINE's list of installable files it has DX9, not sure if it works properly though. You could always give it a go dual booting though.
  13. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I ran Ubuntu with WINE. I could run any DOOM 3 engine games. Anything quake 3 based will work too. IE Jedi Academy. Anything else doesn't work worth a shit.
  14. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    hat,

it sounds to me like you have TWO (or more) recording devices. What is happening is the wrong input device is being used in certain applications.

Your audio device manager may be screwed or in hardware conflict. See if there are jumpers on your MB to turn off inbuilt audio if you are using a soundcard.

Check here:
    [​IMG]
    (mine are greyed out because i have NO audio devices).

Look at the tabs. There is AUDIO and there is VOICE. Check BOTH carefully.
  15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Don't know why you'd have problems gaming under xp64, it's all I use, it's way faster than winxp 32 or even vista64. Only exception is win7 64. My x-fi xtreme gamer works perfect under it, no microphone probs (I belong to online game squads, communication is important). Daniel K's drivers work best for creative products. One question though, does your driver setting have something like "what u hear" ect for recording? Just set it to microphone, do that in advanced settings.
  16. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Quite a list, but I found that most had the "honorable mention" tag on them. That means that they could be installed and run, but no testing. I find with those, they rarely work right.
  18. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can always try the trial. i own a professional Crossover Linux license but i'm yet to try crossover