1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aluminium mouse pad(s)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FreedomEclipse, Feb 1, 2013.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    anyone got any experience with these?

Im looking at getting a MIONIX ENSIS 320

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I used that pad, what do you want to know about it?

3. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    what do you think about it would be a good start :toast:

Also i want to know if there is some sort of 'layer' that has been sticked to the aluminium for the black version. I know the standard one is just brushed aluminium but the black version looks like it has some sort of tracking surface stuck onto it that adds more friction or better tracking?

4. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    From what i recall, and I had the black one, it wasn't anodized, but maybe painted. I know it wasn't a "layer" that would come loose.

For me it was small. Considering I use ~5000DPI on laser mice, I was still having to lift a lot.
    It tracked well, and with the Mionix as well as a few others, I had no issues with the sensors tracking that pad at all.
    Other than that, its cold! All the time, any time, it is chilled to the touch, but it did seem to keep my hand from sweating as much during longer game sessions.

Anything I missed, feel free to ask more questions.

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well starting DPI for me is ~3000DPI (i go at that speed in windows too) and go upto ~4000DPI when gaming

what mouse pad do you use now and what would you recommend? Im open to suggestions, even if they aint metal or alloy.

6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    well I like rougher pads, as they make for less friction against the mouse feet.
    The Thermaltake Ladon comes to mind as well as the G-TF Rough from Zowie I just got the other day (not retail at this moment in the states, may be where you are). Both are thread sealed on the edges.

Other than that I used a ton of the CM Storm series of pads just because you can get them in monster sizes. While I never had to lift again, over time the top cloth does peel away.

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well thanks for the input, I'll probably hold off on getting a new mouse pad for the time being but those Mionix ones do really fit what im looking for.

8. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to scare you away from it, it works really well. Just for my style, there are better offerings for me. Give it a try man, if anything you will know where you stand with them after;)

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I dont lift at all on the current pad i have now but im guess it could be due to the textured finish that makes it easier for lasers to track over or whatever.

the Mionix is about the the same size and dimensions of my current pad and i only use a small part of it.

I dont have my mouse right smack bang in the middle of it. I mainly use it on the left side which is closer to my keyboard.

Anyhoo ive put in an order off ebay for one as it was cheaper. hopefully I will like it

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    i personally like monoprice mouse pads a lot

11. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I have been extremely happy with the Rocketfish Gaming Pad. I use a Logitech G500 and it took me awhile to get use to the fluid movement i had compared to the crap cooler master pad I had before.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I use damn near the same setup as kenkickr, same mouse, but I think I have an older version of the gaming pad. I have been using it for around four years. I really like the size of it, it's a heck of a lot bigger than ones I was used to. Also, it's fast as hell. It is coated with a layer of hard plastic and double sided, with one side being for control and the other for speed. Control is plenty fast for me as my cursor moves from one side of a 1920 monitor in just over an inch, I never use the speed side. Did I mention it's four years old? It washes off great, I can't ever imagine it wearing out. I don't think it's cold, but I guess I'm just not as thin skinned.

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I used a pizza box for many years as a MP but now I have a thin MP I picked up from work and it works quite well. I have never really got into the hype about "gaming" MP

jmcslob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well, If i still had access to a workshop - Id just machine my own mp out of aluminium (or titanium if i want to be real posh) but i dont :(

though thats not to say that i cant order a small sheet of aluminium off ebay and a use a dremel to make it but I love the smell of a workshop :p its a place where men can be men and do men stuff!

15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140105

I own all 3. There's the double sided Aluminum, which I like but rarely use because I preferred the standard monoprice mousepad. The Precision and Precision XL are the same except for size, the XL is huge and I love it just like that (that's what she said). Sometimes I like to rest the bottom of my palm on the mousepad and it's very comfy for that purpose. It also is very smooth/soft and makes the mouse glide really well. The only con I have with it is that the border is a tad bit rough at first and therefore it kinda catches with the mouse wire, but it doesn't do that anymore so I'm a happy camper :)

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I kick ass in Battlefield and my mouse pad cost 80 cents at the dollar store. I also have about 7" x 7" of area to move the mouse around thanks to my keyboard tray. I really don't understand these fancy mouse pads at ALL.

17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Pizzabox + panty hose = gaming all night!

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Thats some of the most f*cked up sh*t I have ever heard :toast:

19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Crystal meth is one hell of a drug!

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Me it's for comfort and looks most of all, and it most definitively gets you a much better experience than with the cheap ones.

spending 8~10$ on a mousepad is nothing when you have an expensive rig, and I see no reason to cheap out on one if your build is 700+$. Your mouse glides on it and its really comfy :p

tbh though, I thought the same as you until I owned one

21. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've improvised with cardboard too. Works better than no mouse pad. It's quite good in fact.

22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    try $40 :shadedshu:shadedshu about the same price I paid for this razr destructor mp quite a few years back but since this one i bought is aluminium, it should definitely last a lot longer then the one i have now. Not that it needs replacing but hey, I have money so.....

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    10 bucks on a mouse pad?! lololol......um no. Mine cost 80 cents because I like kitties.

24. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Who uses a mouse pad at all?

25. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    someone who doesnt have their smartphone bluetooth'd up to their PC as touchpad??

actually thats quite an interesting concept....