1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Always On" DRM Idea gets more publishers.

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Whatever happened to them?

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    you will see them from time to time on really high end video editing suites and CAD suites. i dont know if it is practical to use just for games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Alright im no software engineer or hardware engineer but...

Couldn't game publishers work with hardware fabs to create a chip based hyper-visor that only allow full 3d acceleration with authentic, signed, checksummed code?

That way i dont have to worry about bullshit drm and if you buy your games and programs...you have nothing to worry about?

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that will take hackers 48 hours to crack instead of 24. :laugh:

5. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Well I guess keeping track of them would be worse than keeping track of CDs/DVDs, but still.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It has nothing to do with cheapness or any amount of respect.

I have spent thousands on PC games in my lifetime, from good games to shit games, I've bought them all.

Now, I pirate everything, if it is good, I'll buy it when it goes on sale. I will not pay more then $40 for a game, no game is worth that.

Game publishers continue to push out shit games, that are usually bug filled and require patches to run properly, if they even decide to patch the game, forcing paying customers to be their beta testers, and have pushed the level of gameplay way down, both in quality and playtime.

The idea that the pirates are the cause of DRM is flawed. The publishers are the reason DRM exist. They give BS reasoning that every pirated game would be a sale, which we all know isn't true, since 90% of pirates would not buy the game if they had to, so their claim that every pirated copy would have been a sale is total crap. Yet they use it all the time.

On top of that the publishers spend more time on DRM, and less time on actually making sure the game runs properly.

Just to give you some examples of how I, a paying customer, have been screwed, and what drove me to now pirate almost every game:

Prototype - Paid full price, a known flaw in the game causes it to play fine for about 2 minutes, then the framerate drop to 10FPS or less. The only way I can play the game is to disable every HID device possible, so I can't use my G15 LCD, my G7's resolution switching or extra buttons, and my battery backup gets disabled. There hasn't been even a peep from the developer or publisher about a patch, in fact the site for the game isn't updated, ever.

Doom 3 - Paid full price the day the game come out, and it sucked. You can't hold a flash light and a gun at the same time. Are you serious?

Just Cause 2 - Paid full price the day the game came out. I get random settlements that just aren't there. Visually they are, but my character just walks right through them. I have to resort to work arounds to fix this. Oh, and the story lasted a whole 4 hours of play time...yes I beat the sotry part of the game in 4 hours! That is pathetic.

Those are just three games off the top of my head that I've paid for and been ripped off by the publisher/developer.

And it is now a trend for publishers to pretty much completely drop the game, and ignore it completely, once it has been released. Virtually no game is patched anymore, it is just released, then the publisher/developer moves on to the next piece of shit. Want a prime example of this? Look at Metro2033, the game was released over 2 months ago, and the publisher hasn't even cared enough to updated the site to no longer say "Pre-Order Now". Thats right, the site hasn't even acknowledge the game was release...yeah that developer really deserves my money...

Sorry, developers and publishers have gotten totally lazy, and then they wonder why we don't want to pay their inflated prices...:shadedshu

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    jmcslob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    another one? ok -

we all know that drm came about because of piracy. no argument there.
    pirates want to play games that they don't want to pay for - is it because they don't want to or can't? doesn't matter. k.
    companies see people playing their game for free and feel a need to protect it. ok. makes sense. I think most of us are on the same page here.

so a company then puts drm on their game. to try and delay a pirate release for a day or two at most. to stop those purchasers that actually would have bought the game had it not been so easily available for free. ok. so if that's the case why not disable drm 72 hours after the game is released worldwide? it's served it's supposed function?make it a week. 2. a month... 2. no. if it happens, it's a decade later. and us, the people who actually paid for the game deal with it the whole time.

obviously pirates are the root cause of the problem. but you guys act as though just because they make us video games they are gentle good entities... NO! they are bloodsucking corporations out to make all the money they can. and that's fine, in theory. but when is enough enough? when does it become worthwhile to do some valid, unbiased statistics gathering and find out how big the problem actually is? what we do instead is just take these corporations word for it. they feel they are not making enough money and so we know where they place the blame. but HOW valid is that blame?

what percentage of people who WOULD have bought the game, who did not buy it and instead pirated it - do you see as a valid amount for companies to take the drastic measures they do? 1%? 10%? less? more? what percentage of lost customers do you think there actually are?

when does it go from a company just doing what is within their rights to protect their property - to a corporation unjustly infesting the machines of all of it's customers to squeeze out that last percentage of profit? at some point enough is enough. there is loss and waste in every industry - you can only inconvenience your customers so much in trying to minimize that!

I do not disagree with the problem or the cause - I just do not see how anyone can defend the lengths these companies are taking to battle that.

If it were possible to find out - i'd wager, that the average company spends more money and drm than ACTUAL LOST PROFITS from it.

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  8. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    And then theres MW2 They want you to pay for a new map pack but yet they can't fix the obvious problem with the game....and why not..Oh yeah because they fired everyone that was involved in making it...And yet they want you to buy an ADD-ON WTF..

I didn't pay for it I got free with a purchase and I still feel ripped off.....

Then there is VAC...REALLY? so after some hack ruins your game play they will then be banned in a few weeks....OK

and your lucky to play below 100ping Oh yay!!

9. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Developing games is an art form/ science. People put hard work into these games, even if they seem to have been shoved out.

Taking the copyright infringement thing and that idea that if it's not worth 40 bucks, I'll steal it. Now say there was a pile of 1000 mona lisa prints. You've seen this picture a million times and loads have tried to copy it. I'll steal a couple copies. This makes me a douchebag. Why? Because I just admitted that it's crap, I said it wasn't worth the money, yet I spent my time taking it anyways, and it's more difficult for another person to enjoy a copy now.

People who pirate games tend to have a shitload of games. Why not sell the old games that you don't play and buy the new one? Just makes you look like an asshat.

10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's a finite number, doesn't fit. the only way it would hurt others' enjoyment is if the artist started putting some kind of blocking paint over it that makes it so you can only look at it if you wear a pair of REALLY uncomfortable glasses.

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Great, more games I can't buy. I don't know how they expect to stay in business if they keep this up.

You know how pissed I'd get if a severe thunder storm comes through and I lose power but can't save because I lost my Internet connection half an hour ago? That happened yesterday (was playing Alpha Protocol). In my book, all games that require an "always on" internet connection are unplayable. I have yet to buy one and never will.

There's only one way to find out: try a DRM free release...which they won't do because they are paranoid.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i think DRM is really the only solution for publisher.

do you know that sega FM 2008 have hook in them(to track pirated copy) and the game don't have some sort of copy protection, and do you know what that only 30% who buy and play legit copy of it.

and another example was DemiGod,it was great game from great publisher , and every game they release never have any short of DRM and you know what, in the launch day their server was hit by enourmus pirated copy and make the server crash and laggy

so i think DRM was important but i hope it not become very intrusive, and if you think the game was crap, don't ever buy it

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    DRM is important when dealing with servers (multiplayer), as is anti-cheat/hack. DRM is not important for single player games or the single player component of a multiplayer game. The publisher/developer loses nothing from that form of pirating. It costs them nothing and they may make a few sales if the pirates believe the game is worth it.

There obviously is a market there, but they have alienated it and/or using the wrong sales model to encourage them to buy.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    LOL and there never was any FM game sold here, until more than a year has passed. FM 2009 was a "new arrival" when 2010 was about to be launched. And e-tailers are out of the picture since I pay with cash.

15. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Always ON DRM rocks :p It pushes me further and further away from paying the full amount and buying their games :D LOL

16. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
  17. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:

hey no one force you to buy the game, if you think game was suck don't buy it and don't pirate it,

game is work of art you know, so people have different taste and maybe your taste is different from what game studio want.

a

18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    shared encrypted FTP, a bunch of them got together and made P2P. I was doing it, but stopped as the want for a real game got me.

However I will not buy TDU2, I still have a few frustrating hours of playtime on TDU that I paid full retail price for, it needed patches, and never really got one, I got banned for discussing a class action lawsuit to force a fix or my money back, and not just some of it.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Anti-trust is good but it doesn't do the job it needs to 99% of the time as it has to be horrible before they do anything and it has nothing to do with DRM. Oil companies get together and decide in collusion what the price will be like OPEC. Also technically commodity traders too. #2 on the the fortune 500 is Exxon which payed no US federal income taxes last year. Tell me they don't call the shots. :laugh:

Yes but stipulations must be discussed or explained before the purchase or it is a bad business practice. Most wouldn't know and lets all agree we don't read 100% of the writing on everything we buy. If you do you are OCD and that doesn't need to be considered as it is a mental disorder beyond the scope of this discussion. ;)

Is the food slightly chewed or already being ingested? j/k

We are not saying copyrights shouldn't be protected. But if the art you sell needs an internet connection to be viewed at any time you would have to tell the buyer before the purchase because it isn't common place for that restriction yet(same goes for video games).

20. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Good. Less games to buy then. I gave up on activation DRM and bought few games anyway.
    I'm not gonna do that with this shit. Never. I'd rather stop playing games or play old ones forever than support this nonsense.

21. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather crack the games and play it without paying a cent. In that way your supporting against that nonsense. :)

22. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a viscous cycle: games get DRM, DRM is annoying, we pirate. Publishers get annoyed, puts more tough DRM which annoys legit buyers more, pushing more to piracy. Rinse and repeat.

The Always On DRM is pretty bad, what will those people without permanent internet do? What will people who have unstable internet do? Pirate the game of course!

Farmville is such a hit :D

23. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Whats the big deal with having an internet connection and an online key server to play the game ?
    This works for online shooter games like a charm.
    As for other game types look at Blizzard which somehow manages to integrate its antipiracy into their games very succesfully. No private wow server can even try to compare to an official one. I think its brilliant what they have done. Each bug in a crack ( in wow case a server emulator) throws the whole gameplay out of balance when a single ingame feature doesnt work. Hence its not much fun to play on a private server.

I think its time to say that developers must forget about games without online content if they want to fight with piracy.

24. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Your a poo face. Okay TPU record brokens :)

25. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Still quite fun to play on a private server, especially when you choose the right one. :cool: