1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Am I the only one who is still interested in BD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnnyfiive, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Do you still want a BD CPU despite the negative reviews?

1. Yep, I surely do.

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Definitely NO.

31 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I sort of do, but not sure yet.

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    So, despite all the reviews and negative community and review site feedback... do any of you guys still have the urge to plunge for a BD setup? I have this urge to pickup a 8120 and a ASUS CH 990FX simply because I want to overclock an 8 core CPU. I know it seems dumb, but I have fun tinkering with new hardware more so than having the 'fastest stuff available'. I know I sound like a hypocrit because I stated earlier that I wasn't too happy with the BD results... but, I'm still intrigued. Anyone else in the same boat?

@ Anyone who has a FX 8xxx: Try disabling four of the clusters/cmt's and let us know your results.
    Source: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ew-(4)-!exclusive!-Excuse-for-1-Threaded-Perf.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I know the feeling. I bought an E-350 board to try out and now I barely use it, but it's a fun little system for older games and stuff, and it was fun tinkering with it. I love new stuff that has smaller process nodes, new architectures or less chips. :)

For my main system however, I'm currently pricing out a 2600K + 6950 setup as I just want a nice computer that will last. To me, BD just doesn't seem like an efficient upgrade from a 4GHz PII X4 955.

johnnyfiive says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I was a little let down by the results. Seeing it lose in alot of benches at a 4.6 OC versus a stock i7 2600k.
    I mean I just built my i7 rig so I am set for awhile. I mean I haven't had an AMD since my Opteron 170 and that was a killer rig, when I "upgraded" to an E6600 I still felt the old Opty was a snappier system.
    I will wait and see how Piledriver works out maybe then I may make the jump back to AMD.

Ahhzz says thanks.
  4. Rapidfire48

Thanks Received:
    I still want it but if the benches are correct and the price remains the same I will stick to my Phenom Setup. I am hoping there is an issue that they are able to fix to increase the performance.

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    With 75% of sites using ES chips, and JF-AMD saying ES chips were not indicitive of final silicon performance, I need to get one of my own before I'll truly beleive these chips are as bad as EVERY site says.

Super XP, dumo and INSTG8R say thanks.
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure how many reviews have been read by people.

Tweaktown did a gaming review and were not put off BD. They say the BD platform is solid and the gaming use of BD isn't poor. In fact, they say this:

BD's problem was the hype. And that was kinda AMD's fault. The cpu isn't bad.

Super XP says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I don't "want" one but if the circumstances are right, I would buy one. AMD's overall platform cost still tends to be cheaper than Intels so if I want a cheap computer that will get the job done, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bulldozer chip.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm still interested if someone buys my old board and cpu then I'll get one.

It will be fun trying all the different combinations ( as in running single core/dual/tri/quad etc and seeing how I can overclock them)

Also i'm hopeful that the scheduling problem gets fixed by AMD or Microsoft ( as it seems at the moment OS doesn't do a good job of deciding how best to use the module system)

Also I see them like core and halfs rather than 2 cores per module so the performance doesn't seem as bad.

I wasn't expecting intel beating IPC, I was expecting Phenom beating though which I've not seen but as I said, hopeful software fixes this.

10. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    i feel like cartman running arround the store trying to get the damn Wii.....
    i dunno if it will fail since i´ve seen many reviews now and they still don´t show the same
    results, performance , wattage ....

i don´t give a sh*t if it fails, on my new Rig build i´m at a point of no return now

"I wan´t that damn BD"

[​IMG]

:p

11. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me personally the price doesn't justify the power consumption over Sandy Bridge, not only is SB faster, but in the longer run, it will be MUCH cheaper. Needles to say, BD is NOT a failed chip, but as mentioned above it's hype was too big, I bet alot of people could get good use of this chip, just not enthusiast grade overclockers...

12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Not AMD as a whole. Just the marketing department.
    They should be in the market for a new one, IMO.

13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you link me to one of the reviews where it shows high power consumption?

14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'm STILL running that old Opty Denmark, and badly need an upgrade... for me, since I primarily game on this box, and haven't done any Maya or Bryce rendering in a couple of years, I'm afraid I'll end up snagging a solid OC board with 6G SATA, a couple of USB3's (I really wish I could snag a good board cheap, with a nice sound on it like the CHV), and go 2600k :(

Speaking of, 'G8R, How do you like your P67? I really want to go with the X58 set... but I'm considering :)

15. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    power consumption

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

weird.....

Night Rider, Super XP and pantherx12 say thanks.
  16. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    pantherx12 says thanks.
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    No real faults with it at all. I mean yeah I went with a bit of an "oddball" MoBo but it hasn't let me down at all yet.
    I just actually retired the Opty 170 rig, my Ex wife was still running it. I built her an i5 760 budget build. I am seriously considering putting it back together and seeing how it runs on Win 7.

18. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I've not run 7 on mine yet, just xp 32 and 64... I was reading the article last night regarding the diff in performance for PCIx 8 and 16, which has swayed me a little in whether or not I NEED dual 16 channels, or if I can manage with dual 8's.... So many choices, and I want to decide before I'm out for a week and a half :)

INSTG8R says thanks.
  19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the Mobo I built mine on was the Abit AT8 32X and I have a 4870 1024Gb for GFX.
    Actually you can see it in it's "former glory" when I was running it. I switched it back to air and no Xfire for it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/471

Ahhzz says thanks.
  20. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    So how come none of the game benchmarks are using BC2 to bench the cpus with. To me this and starcraft are the perfect games to test CPU performance with. I would like to see how BD hold up there. BC2 is very multithreaded and SC2 would show clock speed and core efficiency.

21. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Really good point actually!

22. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I actually did see some benching with SC2... lemme see if I can find the review...

here ya go...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...i5-2500K-and-Core-i7-2600K-CPU-Review/1402/12

23. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
  24. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I plan on doing this once I get a FX 8150 :D

25. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    I'm more interested in waiting to see these two things before I buy:
    1) The benchmarks of the 95W TDP FX-8120.
    2) Even if performance is actually not bad on the retail chips; a new stepping.

OR

If #1 incorporates a new stepping, just that.