1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Am I the only one who is still interested in BD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnnyfiive, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Do you still want a BD CPU despite the negative reviews?

1. Yep, I surely do.

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Definitely NO.

31 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I sort of do, but not sure yet.

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Well that is the problem, it's very multithreaded. God forbid they truly show Bulldozer's strength to the world. These games should have been part of every single Benchmark from the begining. :mad:
    Nothing wrong with Bulldozers Power Comsumption. It's an 8-Core Monster for bloody sakes.;)

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    You don't need a reason to want it or a "business case", it just does it for you, so you want to own one as a PC enthusiast. :) Now, I voted No, but I totally get where you're coming from. If It'd had 8 truly discreet cores, then I would have been tempted myself.

If you want it, get it, end of story. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. :D

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else notice what I see; non UEFI bios paired with that 8 core. Bios issues with UEFI on BD?

4. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    Could be just that it's just because they had an actual retail part and not an engineering sample.
    I can't see how the difference between BIOS and UEFI can matter, except that it's not the same company -- nearly all of the reviews on UEFI boards are CHV... so maybe an update problem there. Gigabyte just might be getting their BIOS updates out faster than ASUS.

5. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    i will still buy one...i game and do alot of video encoding, and i have always purchased AMD for every build i have done the last 10 years.

6. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    The latest Bios for the ASUS AM3+ mobo it says "Update AMD CPU Firmware" what does this mean? Flashing the AMD CPU itself or the mobo's bios?

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It means the microcode on the CPU will be updated. This is normally done for bugfixes that stop the thing crashing under certain conditions etc.

8. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but that's F*cking Pathetic.

Seriously stop and think about HOW RETARDED THAT SOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yeah the chips we sent out to be reviewed for marketing purposes aren't as good as the retail versions"

Yeah...ok

9. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with you here. Even if the retail chips turn out way better, why the HELL would AMD send out a bunch of engineering samples that suck ass for public reviews!? It doesn't make any sense. If this is the case they just totally fudged up their entire launch by prematurely sending out ES's.

I'm on the fence about an 8120 for testing, but I'm not sure what to do - wait or get it now.

10. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    I plan on getting one soon, regardless. I need one more AMD chip for my 3rd computer since I toasted one of my Phenom II's. I'll put the BD in my sig rig, migrate the Thuban to my wife's, and drop her Athlon II into my kids' computer.

The only question is which one I will buy. I like the idea of the special edition with bundled water cooler (Kuhler 920 is sweet), but if the 4100's can indeed unlock additional cores I might just get that (waiting for some reviews on that). BD looks like a great chip to tinker with and overclock/bench.

:ohwell: