1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM2 pre-orders @ Overclockers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HookeyStreet, May 21, 2006.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
  2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So am I right in saying the ONLY real benefit of AM2 is DDR2 Memory? and for that benefit most will need to buy a new motherboard as well as the processor? Would be interesting to see what % improvement in overall system performance that DDR2 will bring and then work out the cost of the new motherboard and processor as a % against the exisiting socket 939 processor we own and after you have done all that you realise how much you are expected to pay for.................well................not a lot!

Unless of course my facts are completely wrong and my performance is going to increase by like 50% plus but I have this sneek feeling we are probably talking about something like a 5%increase!
  3. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once AMD releases 65nm for mainstream, it will be AM2 only and AM2 will start having some actual appeal. Until then its just 939 with ddr2.
  4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, how long are we talking roughly before 65nm is available? I guess my motherboard at some stage might take AM2 with an upgrade (but knowing my luck the upgrade will cost as much as a motherboard) as it has a "future slot".
  5. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one really knows when it will be mainstream.
  6. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Of course in my first post I forgot to add the cost of the DDR2 memory as well, I have just been checking prices on another site in UK AMD are doing a AM2 Semperon 3600 at what seems a very reasonable price notwithstanding the other costs involved, am going to google a bit to see what that can do.