1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3 mobo

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by AsphyxiA, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok I've decided to go AM3. I've got the CPU picked out but I'm really having a hard time picking a motherboard. I know a lot of boards are toting them as being able to support a 1600mhz overclock. Are these boards capped or could they theoretically reach the 2000mhz mark?

Also, I plan on running a new sound card and it will probably be pci-e. Let's say I'm waiting for ATI's new dx11 x2 card. Let's say I want two. If I run two cards in X-fire, and I run the sound card, will the bandwidth shrink on for the two pci-e x16 slots if I stick it in one of the other x16 slots on this mobo?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223
    how about the DFI variant?

Also Does this have a hardware based RAID chip on it? I would assume it does since it can do RAID 5 and 10 but just asking.

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    bah, that sucks if it is but ill ask

Been using DFI boards for years;) They don't frighten me. As for the bus speed, Is the bus speed of the slots knocked down x8 regardless of what kind of card is installed?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    No that's just the JR version.

5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    no, the dfi 790fx has the first 2 slots working at a constant 16 lanes and the third at 4 lanes

6. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going with the DFI when I do my build... 955 (drools) can't wait until Monday!

7. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok both boards look good, the DFI and MSI. As far as RAID controllers go, the MSI looks to have better options in that arena but the important question is, do both boards have hardware RAID support? Like I said above, judging from the MSI and the DFI's RAID features, it looks like both will support hardware level RAID. But since I've really only every messed with software based RAIDS, I don't know what chip to look for.
    MSI controllers:
    AMD SB750 <-0, 1, 5, 10 or JBOD this makes me think it is hardware
    JMicron JMB322 <- isn't this the controller used in the "cheapo" ssds that fail?

DFI controller:
    not sure which it has however it does support 0/1/0+1/5.
    The other question for this board would be, can you use say three or 4 SATA ports for your RAID and still leave two open for DVD-R and a 1.5T storage drive?

8. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    nobody knows anything about the RAID controllers on the motherboards?

9. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I know that the DFI is using the SB750 so they should be the same... I can't help anymore than that... but these are good questions since I probably would have asked them in the future :D

10. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, what I found out was that the SB750 DOES support hardware level RAID support
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-integrated-790gx,1988-3.html<--don't know how valid this is.and looking at the Gentoo forums, it seems that people are setting up hardware arrays with the SB750 as well. So that gets me a little further.

I think I'm moving a little closer to the MSI side mostly because the reviews I've seen of the bios show a wealth of memory clocking options like DFI usually provides. Plus the MSI supports 2000mhz oveclocking.

Plus MSI has great documentation, support, and the quality of there boards are top notch. My first board was a Neo4 Platinum and I wouldn't have switched to DFI anyway if I hadn't cracked the south bridge chip while installing an aftermarket cooler onto it.

11. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW didnt want to start a new thread, but does AM3 boards support DDR2 ram. I have looked at a couple of mobos, but they only show DDR3 support. Is it a given or do they not support DDR2?? I would love to get a new asus or gigabyte mobo, but dont want to sped more on the ram.

12. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    nope

13. Icewind31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want DDR2 you'll have to get a AM2+ board, (AM3 CPUs will fit in AM2 and allow DDR2)

The prices on DDR3 aren't that bad now compared to DDR2, and now's a good of a time to make the transition as any. Also that MSI 790FX-GD-70 is just hotness :D

14. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually, in a lot of cases, ddr3 is less expensive, especially kits rated for higher frequencies. The only expensive parts for AM3 right now are the motherboards. If you want something with full features you gotta pay, granted, a full featured AM3 board is usually less expensive than a x58 or other intel boards.

15. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    And the mobo's aren't that bad. Still far cheaper than any i7 board... $150 for a DFI board isn't bad at all.

16. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Yea, and there are so much better boards coming out for AMD, like the recently announced Asus Crosshair 3 which I'm sure will carry a hefty price premium even over the most expensive AM3 motherboard currently out right now. But even then, it will probably still be cheaper than i7 boards.

I'm actually thinking to go AMD on their next gen 32nm processors, hopefully they won't need another new socket and will be fully compatible with AM3 motherboards, that would just be fantastic.

17. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
  18. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Get the MSI board from ZZF instead. Much cheaper and FS!

19. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So which AM3 mobo is really good and also has the possibility to unlock the 4th core and srun stable. I have the 720be unlocked on the biostar ddr2 mobo as of now.

20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus M4A79T without a doubt. Awesome board. It's all up to the processor and motherboard bios to unlock the 4th core.

mav2000 says thanks.
  21. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    If you're not having an issue with unlocking 4th core and oc'ing it, I wouldn't switch motherboard. I'm unsure if any of the am3 boards can unlock it, didn't look into am3 much when building my system.

22. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    the 4th core can be unlocked?
    will that actually give it quad core performance?
    which motherboards can unlock it?

23. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok will check up on M4A79T, there also seems to be a delux version though...and my 4th core is unlock able and also OC'ed

24. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    There are a few motherboards with early bios versions that can unlock it, I'm using one of em, the asus am2+ board and the biostar board. Those I know for sure can do it.

Apparently with modded bios, you can unlock the cores on the m4 boards. So if you want to flash those, I'll send you the link from XS.

25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the processor and bios revision of the motherboard. You may have the right bios revision but the processor just might not be able to unlock. My current processor can be unlocked but the 4th core is utterly useless and unstable.