1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3 Motherboard Choice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by eidairaman1, Jan 11, 2010.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys Im getting geared for a motherboard choice for a 965BE machine

I am not sure if I really need a board with 2 PEG slots or just 1 will do, I mean I will be OCing this machine and was wondering if there were any single slot equivalents to these boards

Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P and MSI 790FX-GD70
  2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No harm in getting a dual now to future proof as there really is not a cost premium for dual or triple slot boards.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I used to think Dual VGA slot motherboards were overkill, but there are some real performance gains in SLI/CF, if your gaming with a 1920x1080+ resolution monitor.
  5. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    All the way, it's the best out right now for AM3 :toast:

Gigabyte has very weak bios support.
  6. Rapidfire48

Thanks Received:
    Out of the two boards you have posted the MSI board is the better of the two, but the best AM3 board hands down is the ASUS Crosshair III. Nothing can touch it. I would suggest holding off until April though with the 890 FX chipset coming out.
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Just wish there was more OC data on it, i mean I hear people getting good clocks with the GByte board and my buddy hasn't had any problems with Gbyte. I Personally have had a rocky past with Asus and an kind of unsure about useing them, besides they to me are lacking accessory options. I have already discussed 890FX, and there really seems to be no reason for them unless if you really need USB 3.0 and SATA 6 (I dont need either).
  8. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    Although I don't doubt the MSI Board is good, at least with us up here in Canuck Land MSI has bar none the worst customer service on their gear. You're better off throwing it out than even attempting an RMA.

Where as Gigabyte is bar none one of the top tier for their support, and I have yet to find something 'weak' in their BIOS. Their EP45 board, and the client builds i've done with their AM3 board have worked perfectly.

That being said if you want bang for your buck performance.

ASUS M4T785TD-V EVO is hands down a monster. Manged to get a X2 550 Unlocked to 4.1Ghz stable.
    That thing is a monster for dirt cheap.

ST
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    CPU Magazine rated the Asus Crosshair III 3 out of 5 where as they rated the MSI 4.5 out of 5. The MSI outperformed the Asus in gaming, video editing etc and is a lot more feature rich and costs cheaper.

Anyway I have a the best AM2+ mobo and its by Asus, I think Asus makes the best mobo's but this MSI according to reviews is really that much better :eek:
    That's funny here in Toronto, ON. its the other way around. What I meant about Gigabyte is there bios revisions and support stink plain and simple. I've had a really bad experience. Just to let you know how bad there bios support is, I purchases a mobo that was suppose to support the Phenom 950 BE and it did not. And there Dual Bios is completely useless because they told me I had to purchase another CPU, install it, flash the bios then re-install the 950 BE. They also said if for some reason the mobo went back to the back-up bios I would have to keep replacing my 950 BE with the other CPU, flash the bios then re-install my 950 BE over and over again.

I had to do this more than 7 times in a row because it kept on telling me that my bios was corrupt everytime I tried to OC anything in the bios settings. The rediculous back-up bios could not be updated which is stupid lol, so I finally sold that junk and bought the AM2+ Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. And thank Goodness for that because it runs awesome! Gigabyte no more for me, it was my first time and it became my last.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well its MSI 790FX-GD70 or the Gigabyte GA-790FXT-UD5P. Asus I do not trust As i have had issues with them amongst other users, It was that company that brought me to tech forums looking for help because Asus had crap service.

I just wish there were more PCI E 1x Sound boards out besides CL and Asus.
  11. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Auzentech X-fi forte works perfectly in my MSI 790fx GD70 with 4890 CF :D

Auzentech = best soundcards around, perfect drivers in my experience with very high quality hardware.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Im thinking more on the Rounds of HT Omega or BGears
  13. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:

Your BIOS Troubles do not relate really to how GIgabyte stands. ANd it wasn't them alone American MegaTrends had Bad BIOS period. As for CHip support, I had an Old revision board that I popped a new 965 into (MA780G-UD3H) and I flashed the bios with @BIOS in WIndows. Worked perfectly, no need for another CPU. Then when the computer restarted, it automatically flashed my backup BIOS. No flaws.

As for MSI, Well, trust me mate I hope they make improvments on their RMA and customer Service ends. Gigabyte has my support along with ASUS for their end. I'm 20min outside of Toronto and I threw out my MSI 250 and a board because they were useless for Customer support.

ST
  14. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I have met the guys from CPU and like them but would take their reviews with a grain of salt
    I have the Crosshair III and love it, (Asus CS sucks)

Auzen FTW!

I have had better luck with Gigabyte then MSI.
  15. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    You can plug in PCI E x 1 in any available PCI E x 16 slot, so MSI has you covered. They both should not disapoint though I prefer the MSI myself. If you added a Dual Slot Graphics card, ask yourself how many PCIE slots would be available for you? And if you went Crossfire with Dual Stock Graphics, how many PCIE slots would be available to you after the fact?

That is something you should consider. Because ASUS has a bad habbit of offering 4 PCIE slots, and having them all blocked while going Crossfire. What's the point in that ;)
  16. Gyres01

Gyres01

Thanks Received:
  17. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When was the last time you owned a GB board? Just curious?
    Kei says thanks.
  18. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate to pile on, but I gotta back up CP here. I've had several Gigabyte boards in the last couple of years and they have ALL been solid, and the bios have been on par with DFI minus the obscure settings.
    Kei and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ack, i keep on hearing good reviews of both, New Egg unfortunately had a few with bunk SATA controllers on the GA, Now CP, how is the FXTA-UD5 in compare to the FXT-UD5P. I read on new egg that when that 3rd PCI E slot is occupied, the second slot shares the bandwidth it, resulting in a 16x8x8. the MSI i read does 16x16x8x8 or 8x8x8x8, or something like that.

I know a few things

MSI- Owned 1- great board
    DFI- Owned 1- Great board
    Asus- Owned 1, had several customers with them- problems
    Gigabyte- Never Owned
  20. Hunt3r

Hunt3r

Thanks Received:
    M4a785td v-Evo
  21. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the FXT, as I said in Pauls thread it has just the right things to do the job, and very well done. IMO the BIOS is great, simple but has everything you need. Not to mention, it's very easy to understand!

I speak from personal experience. ASUS boards were solid boards, very. I just didn't have them long enough to say on the long run.

This is the first high end GB board I have and I can out of all honesty say I'm in LOVE!
  22. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    In my experience I have owned a few boards of each of those manufacturers, MSI makes questionable products but have good tech support, anda good RMA process. DFI, makes great products but their tech support is borderline incompitant. ASUS makes nearly perfect products, I have never had a bad tech support experience with them but I know people who have, and I don't know anything about their RMA services, I've never had to use them LOL.
    Gigabyte ( I feel the trolls and flamers coming ) is the second worst mobo manufacturer there is (ECS being the worst), I've had 1 mobo Gigabyte I bought be DOA right out of the box, I had 1 die after 2 months after I bought it, and I had one last a year and a half then die because the a capacitor exploded. Then you have their tech support, which is beyond the most incompitent set of people I've had the disspleasure of dealing with in tech related maters. And finaly we arive at their RMA service, my first time useing it was about 3 years ago, I used the phone, the person spoke reasonable english, but the process was unbelivably slow, took a month and a half to get the mobo back. My second time was about 2 months ago my first attempt was blocked by a broken RMA page I filled out a request for tech support, and they gave me a link that worked. I sent in the mobo, and got it back just shy of 30 days later, and the mobo I got back was the EXACT SAME mobo I sent in, still DOA >_<'. Called them and got someone that was totally indifferent about it and didn't give a damn about the fact I just wasted 12 dollars to RMA it, and was unwilling to compensate me for it, or allow me to mail it back at their expense. So I sent it back 3 weeks later, I got it back and this time the mobo worked, but I would get random BSOD's sometimes 3 hours after start up sometimes 3 days after start up. I don't recomend you buy any of their products, avoid them like the plauge!

I too had the exact same experience with my ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO , well except for the unlocking of the processor, the mobo unlocked the chip perfectly, but the chip wasn't stable beyond 80-90% load and would BSOD with all the cores unlocked, but has been runing 24 hours a day for the last 6 days and is rock solid even past 24 hour Burn-In and Prime95 @ 4.2 GHZ. But that is all about the chip I got, and not the mobo.

Their literally the exact same mobo, except the ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO is Micro ATX and only has 1 PCI-E slot.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  23. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
  24. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The experience you had with gigabyte is similar to the experiences I've had with each of the motherboard manufacturers after owning almost 100 different boards through the years. All manufacturers have their problems at times, and all companies provide poor customer service at some point. I think you have a very small sample group for which you draw a conclusion. I personally have had less trouble with Gigabyte boards than any other manufacturer. To be fair though, most of my experience with Gigabyte is with Intel p55 and x58 boards.
  25. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    I run Both EVO Boards right now and wouldn't look back.

That being said I wish I could have had the MSI Suppport that is claimed from other people here. No love for the Canadian Customers sometimes. That being said Gigabytes customer support has been bar none excellent with me even with a board that was outside of warranty they still replaced for me.

I have used them for 3 years, Asus and their partner in crime ASrock for god knows how long. I still have an A-life 865D that is working flawlessly since the first day I bought it.

There is good and bad among manufacturers with certain products so it is really subjective, which is why there are multiple vendors out there. But Gigabyte is a Tier 1 manufacturer and the products I have tested to date work without a hitch minus one RMA.

ST