1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

am3 multiplier

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Zedicus, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    can the multiplier on am3 cpus still be reduded like back in the day on the older amd platforms? i know it is only truly unlocked on the black editions but it use to be possible to still drop the multiplier down even on locked cpu's. im trying to build an ultra low power rig so i want to drop the multiplier and reduce the volts.

ive got 60 watts to play with. thats less total then most current cpu's try to use.

2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Actually, most dual core CPUs use way less than 60W.

I would imagine that this is possible. I know it is on Intel CPUs, but I don't have an AM3 rig, so I can't say for certain. I'm sure somebody can answer this.

Zedicus says thanks.
  3. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    the 235e that i am looking at is marked as 45w which is still the vast majority of my power leaving only 15w peak for all the other components. i know these are peaks but if possible i would like to have a bit of wiggle room in the numbers. if anyone knows where i can acquire a 250u or 260u that would be great too.

4. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    TDP is not equal to power consumption. Intel's E8x00 series are all have a 65W TDP, but all of them use under 35W. I think that if you took a 45nm dual core, undervolted it, and got basic system components, (eg mobo, ram, one HDD, one ODD) you could easily fit under your 60W limit. Another option is to go the Atom route, which easily fits under those requirements, but I don't know if it's powerful enough for what you want.

Why do you have a 60W limit? PicoPSU or something?

Zedicus says thanks.
  5. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    mostly physical size limits. a pico psu and a small one at that, im using an embeded platform ITX case and mainboard. microdrive for a HD, onboard mini-pcie with a wireless card, no frills memory. the case is milimeters bigger then the mainboard, and not even 3 inch thick.

this is for a hidden kitchen computer for wifes recipes and some minor multimedia work.

also building a sligthly larger versions for htpc front ends.

i wont use an atom for anything.

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't take much all i did was undervolt my 9150e and it now draws all of 35w.

a sempron 140 would be perfect for what your trying to do it consumes less juice than a 35w celeron 430 (TPU review found here) i would grab one of those or the 235e as its power draw should be relatively low as well. both chips undervolt really well so you could most likely keep the full 2.7ghz chip (hell oc it to 3ghz) and keep your thermal/power envelope even moving to an X3 400/405e or X4 600/605e you could probably undervolt enough to keep the chips within the envelope.

Zedicus says thanks.
  7. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    sweet, im not sure what bios options come on these embedded boards. i will post the build as parts come in. its an advansus board.

i use to build systems all the time but have gotten out of it for a while. the last mad build i did was a 939 rig built into a dvd player shell. so far its all the same only the numbers have changed.

(i held on to 939 forever. actually my current server is still a 939 rig, i have an AM3 ddr3 rig built just waiting for the move though)