1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3 support with DDR2 Memory?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by >>PhoeniX<<, Jun 5, 2011.

1. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    Soo basically depending on how the early results of BD goes, I am planning on getting the 6 core model and sending my 1090t over to my backup computer. The motherboard that is currently in my backup rig is the MSI 785GTM-E45. According to the most current bios update is can support AM3 all the way up to the 1100t, but how can this be with only DDR2 ram? From what I have read and researched on my own, AM3 processors are only limited to DDR3. Is the wrong? Or have I just been looking in the wrong places. Sorry, its 3:00am and I have been working on multiple computers. :cry: Thanks InerTia* (aka PhoeniX)

2. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    All current AM3 processors support DDR2 as well as DDR3 last time I checked.

3. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, does it have to be a certain MHz? Because I have an 8GB Set of DDR2 800

4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i'm running 4gb of DDR2 800...

from wikipedia:
    As AM3 processors also support DDR2, they are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+, contingent upon a BIOS update for the motherboard. Manufacturers including Asus,[5] Gigabyte,[6] and others have labeled existing AM2/AM2+ boards as being "AM3 Ready" or similar, indicating that BIOS support is provided for the specified boards. This allows existing AM2/AM2+ systems to upgrade the CPU without having to upgrade any other components.

only drawback is when using DDR2 the processor will run at a reduced hypertransport bus but its not noticeable

>>PhoeniX<< says thanks.
  5. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, sounds good. I really am not too worried about the CPU being held back. It is a pretty layed back system.