• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM4 socket ready before Q4 2013?

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Hello, I think this is good to share it with you

I've haven't been in the forums too much, but I'm always on tpu for the latest news and reviews.
I work in a computer company since 2012 as a laptop repairman and 2 weeks ago we had a reunion with our general manager. He told us some of the future plans the company will be executing, like new tablets and laptops offerings (while switching more into tablets due to higher demand on my place and lower demand for laptops compared to 2012) Since ever all our laptops have been re-brands from other factorys, and our desktops (not the all-in-one) are built with regular gigabyte or asus (or msi, ECS etc) motherboards, like if they were clones, with our brand on top of it.

he mentioned that by the end of the year, we would be offering AM4 socket based systems as a replacement for our actual gaming solution (which is an affordable AMD llano A4 with a laughable but still usable on the ultratight budget Radeon 6450 crossfiring with the A4 integrated 6410 gpu), and they will be ordering DDR4 memory modules as soon as they become available or we will be using DDR3 instead.

I was kinda surprised with this. The manager is not the kind of guy who you could freely speak to, so I couldn't get much more out of the reunion. Also he travels a lot so he's not in my country anymore until who knows when.

My guess is, he got it wrong (and he was talking about FM2/FM2+ instead, to be replacing our actual FM1 solution, and use plain old DDR3 instead of 4). Or maybe the AM4 socket really will exist and will be released soon, as the general manager said.

I googled it and I haven't found anything relevant yet... anyone knows anything?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Your manager is a idiot, ignore him. He probably saw AMD A4 and assumed the socket for it was AM4. And who wouldn't sell DDR4 memory when it comes available, whenever that may be.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Since there are no new CPU's due out this year and the next iteration is going to be on AM3+, no there won't be an AM4 socket anytime soon.