1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amd 64 - Venice or San diego

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gzero, May 5, 2005.

1. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am about to begin building another pc to whip this crappy p4 I got, so looking on overclockers.co.uk:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_cpus.html
    There seems to be a few types of amd 64. I want to get the best of the range of either a 3700+ or 3800, with the intention of overclocking later. So I will need a motherboard for this system. Any advice on which cpu and which mobo would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. nightelf84 Guest

Both cores are excellent overclockers although the San Diego will likely be dearer as it has a larger L2 cache than the Venice. But of course a larger L2 cache will be a performance booster as well depending on the type of application you're running. If you are looking to overclock, a 3500+ might be a wiser choice in terms of overclockability and $$$. Don't get me wrong, the Venice core 3800+ has been known to overclock pass the 2.8Ghz mark but the price will definitely be dearer than a 3500+ (which can overclock to 2.8Ghz too if you have some kick ass RAM that is or unless u plan to run with a divider)

Motherboard? Well, DFI is definitely the way to go. Check out their new range of nForce4 boards.
  3. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.
    What can of heatsink are we looking at here for the 3500+, for oc'ing of course.
    I have seen the asus star ice cool a pentium s775 3.4 oc to 4ghz and still have low temps. Wonder if it would be similar for an amd setup. I would be buying new ram for the machine with corsair ddr 500 in mind, or slightly slower. Thanks again.
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I thought the Venices were the 1mb 90nm cores. But if the Venices are still only 512kb 90nm, then whats the difference between that and a Winchester?
  5. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go water cooling if you can afford it. Otherwise I would go with a Thermalright XP-90C or XP-120.
  6. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    The venice probably has improved power effiency, I think.
    Water cooling hmmm. I like that the fact that water cooling is low noise, ie the pump and radiator cooling make the noise, but not sure about piping , cutting it to good lengths and fastening the connections well to prevent leaks. I mean I have never used water cooling before, and am afraid if I were to open the pc up or play around with something may knock some pipe loose. So asking from a newbie perspective is water cooling simple?
    And what would be suitable suggestion for a cpu only water cooling kit? Thanks
  7. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha I've never run water cooling either. It's really not too hard if you think about it. I would just suggest getting those metal crimps to put around the connections. Personally, I would also do my video card on the water cooling.
  8. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suppose, if I were to get an adquate WC kit it probably have support for more than a cpu. Thermaltake have a kit called the rocket. It sits outside the case with passive cooling. Tbh I think they should have made it mountable on the back of a case rather than stand alone.
    Right now I have been stressing my gt to try get the most from it. I regret going NV, ati was easier to oc with atitool.
  9. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm funny :D
    i think the 2 cores arent far away in performance but the san diego seems to be better
    but for ocing take an asus board a8n sli deluxe my choice or if u have an agp card than take the abit av8+ third eye both boards are supporting all oc features in bios aswell as in windows
  10. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think SLI is worth my time. since you wouldn't be able to oc far since the cramped space would make it hard for cooling and water cooling probably wouldn't fit unless you bent serious tubing.
  11. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    The Venice beats the Winchester in benchmarks. It has a few more fetures like SSE3, and NX-Bit. I'd personally take the San Diego...because it has a 1mb L2 cache and it has the same fetures as the Venice core. The Venice only has 512kb L2 cache. Both would be good but the San Diego will be better. And I agree with nightelf84 about the speeds and oc'n.

-Dan
  12. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great thanks.
    So established that 3500+ is a good bet coupled with a nforce 4 is a good idea, don't need ddr2 or do I? Does amd's care whether or not its ddr 2 or 1. But for sure it will be working in dual channel and be at least 1gb ddr 400.
  13. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    no amd only uses ddr1 use high clockable ram maybe ocz or corsair
  14. djbbenn

Thanks Received:

Sounds good to me. :D

-Dan
  15. nightelf84 Guest

XP-90 seems to be one of the best for air cooling. Check out the copper variant of the heatsink. Water cooling is miles better performance wise but maintenance is bit of a pain.

As far as what RAM to use, can't go wrong with OCZ or Corsair. GeIL Ultra-X modules looks good too. Generally you get what you pay for with RAM. Look for modules with the new Samsung TCCD ICs. They don't need that much voltage to get them to high speeds. To get you started, check out Corsair's 3200XL kits as I'm using these in my rig now. Ver 1.2 of the 3200XL will go as high as 270+.

SLi is pretty much overrated (unless you have deep pockets of course). Switching to SLi now would mean you have to get a PCI-e card (assuming u own an AGP card now), a decent PSU and improved case cooling. These alone can cost quite a bit if you're an average joe like me :cool:

And oh yeah, somebody mentioned nVidia cards are harder to OC then ATI. Yeah, AtiTool does make the process so much easier. What are you using to OC your nVidia card now? Coolbits? Rivatuner?
  16. MatzTeCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Better power efficency, optimized mem controller, sse3 support...

Take the DFI nF4 Ultra or if u don't need the voltages up to 4V for the RAM take the MSI Platinum/Diamond...if u want to overclock these two are the way to go.

Venice or San Diego? I'd say time will tell...it's really to early for a final word about ocability...

RAM...well if u buy the DFI get yourself some high voltage memory with BH-5 or new UTT CH-5 Chips. I'd recommend the OCZ PC4000 Gold VX, as u can see in one of the recent reviews here the new Twinmos Twister with BH-5 are cheap and fast too. If u buy the MSI take some good TCCD: G.Skill, OCZ, G.E.I.L. Ultra-X, Twinmos Pro, PQI R3, Mushkin Level2 V2, A-Data DDR566/DDR600. It's just MY opinion but don't buy the Kingston or Corsair TCCD, there are lots of reports that these two don't oc as well as others...
  17. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm my choice would be a asus a8n sli deluxe with an extra coller for northbridge because the things u get with it are not less important and asus gives u all bios options u can get
  18. MatzTeCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ermmm have u ever seen a DFI bios? If u can't tweak it there, it simply doesn't exist lol. Asus builds great boards, solid, good quality. But Asus doesn't really build boards for overclockers...in the forums I visit, most people sell their Asus and try to get DFI, MSI, Gigabyte or Abit because they are embarrassed with the performance...
    But the latest bios for the A8N SLI really kicks ass, thats true...
    Imho a good oc board must have all the goodies like huge vdimm and vcore tweakability. I mean, what can I do with my high voltage memory if I can go no higher than 3V? And i just love the layout of the new DFIs, as most of the reviewers seem to do if they call it the ultimate A64 939 Board...
  19. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D i only sad my choice would be!
    but i think asus gives u some great options+ the guarantee and the things u get bundled with the board are best ive ever seen
  20. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Ya Asus has really good options for tweaking. I am a Asus fan and I think the a8n sli deluxe would be a good board too. :D But DFI is also a really great board.

-Dan
  21. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Nightelf84, currently I am using trial and error, with coolbits unlocked in drivers 72.02. Got fed up of waiting around for errors to appear in atitool, because for some reason the card would not oc properly if I forgot to close atitool while oc'ing (flaw with having to 2d/3d independent clocks). I am more than happy to get a MSI, DFI, and possibly abit, reasons why I may not get asus = nforce 2 mobo deluxe was absolute crap for me.
  22. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also my brother bought a p4 pcie machine (mainly he asked for my opinion before he bought it) and I put it together for him, we are both hate buying something built like shit: add your fave pc hardware seller here. lol, it was air cooled and went well with the thermaltake tsunami dream, currently awaiting its second ram upgrade of corsair xms2 5400 (all four modules will now be 512mb). I could save money if I go ddr2 since there is less demand on ebay, which helps for buying the right parts, There has to be a new board supporting this great ram.
  23. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just read a review and the Gigabyte's G-Power BL seems great for cooling even though its a aluminum mostly cooler. Its quiet and so on so...
  24. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like the sonic tower very much a 120 fan with 900 rpm is everything this cooler needs for a great cooling performance
  25. watzup_ken New Member

Thanks Received:
    San Diego should be better due to the larger cache size. Venice only offers a few tweaks and added SSE3 function. :)