1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 6870 Cooling Solutions

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SpeedsticK, Dec 1, 2010.

1. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got an XFX Radeon 6870 a few days ago, it runs nice and everything.
    The thing is, im going to flash it with the 6870 Black Edition bios since it seems to be more stable than overclocking it with the ATI overdrive tool.
    So my plan is to only do this after i get a new cooling solution for it, are there any compatible heatsinks for the 6870 that you can buy? Any information would help.
  2. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    why bother the stock heat sink handles cooling it fine and why bother with flashing the bios just oc the card.
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Some people prefer lower temps.

Lower temps can reduce voltager requirements.

Lower voltage requirements can mean better over-clocking. ( for example 1ghz on my 5770 with stock cooling required a voltage bump, with a big ass custom cooler I could do it on stock volts :D)

It's win win!

( win)

I think 6870s use 5800 series type pcbs so it should have normal ati mounting holes : ]
  4. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    No revelation here, and these ref cooler dump the heat right out of the case, plus I haven't seen chips like these handle higher temps like this with zero trouble. They also seem to need very little voltage to break the 1000 Mghz bearer unlike the 5800 series. Plus they seem to hand 80c to 90c no sweat, and since the heat moves out of the case the chip temps cause very little problem. The difference here for me is the fan settings and speed make the stock cooler very quiet. I do get your point here and the MSI frozr model looks very good aswell.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never cared to much about a card exhausting air, I've always had open rigs or massive airflow so it's never really been a concern or want for me.

Can understand the appeal in a closed system of course :p
  6. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:

In this case it's a plus. I didn't see the attraction to these cards but man once you use one they are just very very well rounded. They are truly refined 5800 cards. It like the gtx 460 compared to the gtx 465. It isn't that drastic but it is similar. I didn't want to buy one at all, driver / a chipset conflict made that decision for me and the MSI version might be in my future but there is zero wrong with these stock coolers. ATI found the perfect mix here.
  7. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i prefer replacing the reference heatsink since it retains alot of heat, with my 5770s i replaces the origional heatsinks with ones off newegg, it it dropped temps by almost 15-20'C, with allowed for a volt bump.
  8. Black Flag

Thanks Received:
    Where can I find ATi overdrive tool for increasing voltage over 1.3v?
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i prefer lapping the heatsink then buy better thermal paste, and it would be fine, it could release the heat better especially when you do little bit OC on it
    aftermarket heatsink, it could but its kinda expensive :roll:
  10. ngokhikho New Member

Thanks Received:
    Zalman and several fans/heatsinks that focus on the GPU can be applied.
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye we know that, he knows that. I think he was after something more specific though : ]
  12. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 6870 has the same mounting holes as most recent ATI cards thus for the most part if its compatible with past ATI cards it is with the 6870 the only major difference is heat sinks for the voltage regulation, the vrm's run pretty cool so I'm sure some narrow stick on heat sinks would do great but they need to be narrow enough to fit between the capacitors and chokes

Something like the narrow two in the bottom of the picture on here as they should be narrow enough and also cover 2 DrMOS each.

as for suggestions
    GELID ICY VISION
    XIGMATEK Bifost
    ZALMAN VF1000
    Zalman VF2000
    ZALMAN VF3000 Although i have heard of people killing their cards installing the vf3000, also multiple reviews saying that on the product page but no idea why
    ZEROtherm CoolMaxx 2000
    ZEROtherm CoolMaxx 3000

They should all be suitable options available from newegg although there is other options from other web sites or stores so it kind of depends where you want to shop.
  13. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    That Zerotherm looks like it might work with the stock heatplate. I know that the VF3000 does but it's pretty massive.

The stock cooler gets loud. I know that during the summer months I'll be bothered by the stock cooler.
  14. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    sounds good that I understand.